Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #16
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameegray1 View Post
Sad to see the end of a couple of long race calling careers in 2020. Keith with 33 years at Philly plus John Curran who had 37 years under his belt at Delaware. That's an incredible 70 years' between them!

I see Delaware have announced that Josh Brown will take over race calling duties there for 2021. I wonder who will end up calling at Philly? Perhaps Peter Berry would like to step up to a bigger track after almost 20 years calling at Mountaineer? Would LOVE to see him calling at Parx!
Someone pointed out to me that, following Keith Jones's retirement, I will be the second-longest tenured Thoroughbred announcer at one track behind Richard Grunder. I find that astounding, given that I expected the Mountaineer gig would have led to bigger things many years ago.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

enjoyed Keith Jones race calling

best wishes in retirement
Old 12-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
enjoyed Keith Jones race calling

best wishes in retirement
Dittos!

I always thought Keith was one of the underrated announcers, just like Dave Rodman and Peter Berry.

Last edited by Track Collector; 12-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #19
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Someone pointed out to me that, following Keith Jones's retirement, I will be the second-longest tenured Thoroughbred announcer at one track behind Richard Grunder. I find that astounding, given that I expected the Mountaineer gig would have led to bigger things many years ago.

I think John Dooley at Arlington and Dave Rodman in Maryland may be ahead of you in tenure
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #20
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
I think John Dooley at Arlington and Dave Rodman in Maryland may be ahead of you in tenure
I think you're right.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #21
jimmyb

Happy trails Keith. Gonna miss you.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #22
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
Jones really did, plus it sounded like he was calling out of the bathroom with that weird echo sound. Come to think of it, there is a whole generation of callers with unique voices that are gone. I wasn't familiar with Hannon, but Ross Morton, Bob Weems (Monmouth), Mike Battaglia and Marshall Cassidy come to mind where you instantly recognize the track or circuit based on their voices.
Harry & Gary Henson comes to mind as well when thinking of race callers who we instantly think of when hearing their voice. Others I might put in there would be Michael Wrona, Don Alexander, Tony Calo, Tony Bentley, Phil Salzman?

Keith was the matrix board operator at Garden State Park when it re-opened in 1985. I was the backup announcer to Ralph Siraco. When I left to take the job at DRC they posted a message on the bulletin board in the break room for the backup job. Keith had never thought of being an announcer but with those cannonading pipes he decided to look into it and the rest is history. A wonderfully nice, gentle man who deserves all the praise he's receiving and more.

Doug O'Neill used to train a horse named in his honor. I called him a couple times at HP. CREAM DONUT KEITH.

Will be very interesting to see who Keith's successor is?

VERY big shoes to fill.

CONGRATS on a GREAT career KJ!
Old 12-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Technically, I don't think Trevor has ever announced his retirement, although I would assume Del Mar would love to just move Collmus into the permanent slot.

If Trevor still counts, he started in '84 there.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Technically, I don't think Trevor has ever announced his retirement, although I would assume Del Mar would love to just move Collmus into the permanent slot.

His streak was broken when he sat out this year.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #25
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Harry & Gary Henson comes to mind as well when thinking of race callers who we instantly think of when hearing their voice. Others I might put in there would be Michael Wrona, Don Alexander, Tony Calo, Tony Bentley, Phil Salzman?

Keith was the matrix board operator at Garden State Park when it re-opened in 1985. I was the backup announcer to Ralph Siraco. When I left to take the job at DRC they posted a message on the bulletin board in the break room for the backup job. Keith had never thought of being an announcer but with those cannonading pipes he decided to look into it and the rest is history. A wonderfully nice, gentle man who deserves all the praise he's receiving and more.

Doug O'Neill used to train a horse named in his honor. I called him a couple times at HP. CREAM DONUT KEITH.

Will be very interesting to see who Keith's successor is?

VERY big shoes to fill.

CONGRATS on a GREAT career KJ!
Great stuff. I didn't realize that about Jones running the matrix board!

BTW Vic, nothing left of Garden State Park except the "gatehouse"

https://img.geocaching.com/waymarkin...6cd1aff5b3.JPG

Last edited by alhattab; 12-07-2020 at 12:59 PM.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #26
v j stauffer

Quote:

Del Mar would NEVER "LOVE" for anyone to be their announcer other than Trevor. He sat out this year because of worries about COVID. I'm quite sure if the virus threat has passed, Trevor will be right back where he belongs and welcome to stay as long as he wishes.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Del Mar would NEVER "LOVE" for anyone to be their announcer other than Trevor. He sat out this year because of worries about COVID. I'm quite sure if the virus threat has passed, Trevor will be right back where he belongs and welcome to stay as long as he wishes.
The last part is quite true. There's no way in 100 universes that Del Mar wouldn't let him come back if he asked to.

But think about this from a track management / HR perspective- you now have the best announcer in the country working for you, and he's called 2 seasons already. If Trevor does come back, you will lose that, and Trevor will probably retire in a few years anyway (plus his skills are already declining somewhat in the meantime). At that point, Collmus may not be available.

So yeah, Del Mar's management will never say this publicly, but of course it would simplify their lives if Trevor decides not to come back.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
you now have the best announcer in the country working for you
In your opinion of course.

And weren't you the one who always said announcers don't mean squat to the game?
Old 12-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
In your opinion of course.

And weren't you the one who always said announcers don't mean squat to the game?
They don't. But that doesn't mean track management is indifferent to announcers. Those are two different propositions.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #30
v j stauffer

Quote:
The last part is quite true. There's no way in 100 universes that Del Mar wouldn't let him come back if he asked to.

But think about this from a track management / HR perspective- you now have the best announcer in the country working for you, and he's called 2 seasons already. If Trevor does come back, you will lose that, and Trevor will probably retire in a few years anyway (plus his skills are already declining somewhat in the meantime). At that point, Collmus may not be available.

So yeah, Del Mar's management will never say this publicly, but of course it would simplify their lives if Trevor decides not to come back.
Larry is an accomplished, elite announcer. Calling him the BEST in the country is I'm sure very gratifying to him. And a VERY bold statement on your part.

As a huge fan of announcers myself. IMO along with Larry one could list several others who might qualify for that distinction. Pete Aiello, Kurt Becker, John Dooley, Frank Mirahmadi, Dave Rodman, Travis Stone & Michael Wrona just to name a few.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-07-2020 at 04:13 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply