Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Figaro

WI-FI problems at Woodbine Racetrack???

Been using my 7" screen Blackberry Playbook to place most of my bets at the track since I got the computer tablet as a Christmas gift. However, this entire month of April I've had WI-FI problems, specifically with their HPI site to make my usual wagers at the track.

http://www.horseplayerinteractive.com/?referrer=WEG

Spoke to their staff and they just asked me to email them the problem. I already did that and nobody has gotten back to me yet.

I'm really disappointed because at the track when Woodbine gets extremely busy I hate losing my seat to use the self-serve terminal to place a bet when I can use my Blackberry Playbook.

Don't want to use my smartphone to place any bets simply because the screen is too small. Will probably buy the new Ipad for Woodbine Racetrack later this year. However, I don't want to make that investment until they resolve the WI-FI problems. I'm not planning on buying an Ipad with 4G and using a data plan.

Anyone else have WI-FI problems when they bring their computers to use at Woodbine?

Last edited by Figaro; 04-24-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
edmond1

I along with others I know are having the same problem. Spoke to someone at HPI . He indicated that changes were made recently. Was working great before. Told him to create ticket # but have this feeling that nothing is going to happen. Fortunately some of us have the Rogers Rocket stick. He said to complain at Customer Service desk .... GOOD LUCK !!!!

Funny : they tell me that I am the only one that complains ..... ????
edmond1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Does it work well with other networks?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
HoofedInTheChest

The HPI site sucks the big one and the WiFi is spotty at the track, trust me your not alone. I use my own data and tether my iPad with my iPhone, but here is a breakdown of the sweet spots at Woodbine that Ted Craven clued me into....

In past years though, wireless has sometimes been spotty, depending on where you are in the building and where the wireless repeaters are. Favourites restaurant seems to have a nearby repeater so reasonably regular; Finishline bar likewise (they're next to each other). 3rd floor Champions lounge sometimes yes, sometimes no, same with 3rd floor patio.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
davew

I am surprised they would let anything out now that they are running.

It would be to easy to place bets somewhere else.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
thezeeman333

Thumbs down

I'm a HPI member and have had all kinds of problems
also.
Customer service favorite response to all the problems is
" nobody else is having problems"
thezeeman333 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Figaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest
The HPI site sucks the big one and the WiFi is spotty at the track, trust me your not alone. I use my own data and tether my iPad with my iPhone, but here is a breakdown of the sweet spots at Woodbine that Ted Craven clued me into....

In past years though, wireless has sometimes been spotty, depending on where you are in the building and where the wireless repeaters are. Favourites restaurant seems to have a nearby repeater so reasonably regular; Finishline bar likewise (they're next to each other). 3rd floor Champions lounge sometimes yes, sometimes no, same with 3rd floor patio.

Thanks for the tips on where the "better" spots for WI-FI are at the track.

The month of April I've had lots of browser issues that specifically have to do with the HPI site only when using at Woodbine. The site goes haywire because of their corporate WI-FI network. I can visit other internet sites no problem from the track, but the most important site I need to use HPI becomes a nightmare.

Really don't have much to complain about when I use the HPI site from home or other free WI-FI hotspots across the GTA. Works pretty good everywhere else, but Woodbine Racetrack. Go figure!

Certainly hope they can fix these problems before June when the really big races this summer starting with the Woodbine Oaks. Last year, the Queen's Plate was so busy that I actually had to watch from the 5th floor. Yes, the 4th and 5th floors they are rarely ever open to the public, but they had to open to accommodate a full house.

When I get a good seat this year at the Queen's Plate, I strictly want to drink my Guinness beers with my friends and sit and watch. In no way do I want to have to leave my seat to use the self-serve terminals when the place is absolutely packed with people fighting to use the machines.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Ted Craven

I went to Woodbine on April 8 for part of the afternoon (Easter - I thought I would do some shopping but when I got to Barrie - from Muskoka - everything was closed, so I kept driving on to Toronto :-) Besides the great ambiance as always, and the horses themselves, I talked to a guy parked in the carrolls on the 3rd floor, west end, where the wall of TV screens is, with 2 computers, one running Betfair and the other Formulator, who said he was getting great Wi-fi experience that day, and much better than his 2011 experience. (I didn't bring a computer to test).

He wasn't using HPI's site, just accessing the wi-fi which you have to do by logging into HPI's gateway. So, add another potential location for good wi-fi reception. I too always take my Rogers Rocket Stick so I'm not beholden to HPI wi-fi. Belt and suspenders

I'm going again May 12th (Mum's 78th birthday), Champions lounge, armed with computers and tablets galore, likely numerous others of us too, so I'll give another report on the wi-fi, HPI's own site, and my cloud server via my new iPad on both wi-fi and on the LTE/4G network.

BTW, anyone who wants to join us, or drop by and say hi, you're most welcomed!

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro
Thanks for the tips on where the "better" spots for WI-FI are at the track.

The month of April I've had lots of browser issues that specifically have to do with the HPI site only when using at Woodbine. The site goes haywire because of their corporate WI-FI network. I can visit other internet sites no problem from the track, but the most important site I need to use HPI becomes a nightmare.

Really don't have much to complain about when I use the HPI site from home or other free WI-FI hotspots across the GTA. Works pretty good everywhere else, but Woodbine Racetrack. Go figure!

Certainly hope they can fix these problems before June when the really big races this summer starting with the Woodbine Oaks. Last year, the Queen's Plate was so busy that I actually had to watch from the 5th floor. Yes, the 4th and 5th floors they are rarely ever open to the public, but they had to open to accommodate a full house.

When I get a good seat this year at the Queen's Plate, I strictly want to drink my Guinness beers with my friends and sit and watch. In no way do I want to have to leave my seat to use the self-serve terminals when the place is absolutely packed with people fighting to use the machines.
I hear ya, it's a nightmare on Queens Plate day and making bets is next to impossible if you don't have a mobile device. Last year i arrived at 9am for the Queens Plate and there was no one around, i grabbed my usual spot and was good for the day, mind you i felt like a sardine with all the people pressed up against me. You might want to get there early and get a good spot if you plan on returning, i probably wont be going, i had a great time but it was to chaotic for me, the beers didn't help my betting either!

HPI works decently from home but i find it to be really bad with mobile internet, there have been moments when i have wanted to launch my phone against the wall at the track, it's maddening. They really need an upgrade to their site and if your going to boast about "Free WiFi" at the track than put in a decent amount of repeaters. I know they are in bed with Bell and you would think they would set up a decent system seeing that we are forced to use their ADW.

I might be heading to the track this weekend for a bit of R&D and i will check out all the spots, i want to use Remote Access using their WiFi and if it is possible. I will let you know if i find any good hotspots.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I wonder how much handle they are losing because of this? Likely enough to pay for an upgrade a 100 times over
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
edmond1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
I am surprised they would let anything out now that they are running.

It would be to easy to place bets somewhere else.

Woodbine WI-FI does not allow access to other betting sites (ie. Betfair/5Dimes etc...). You can not even access Paceadvantage.

Note: Escalator at west end entrance has not been working for days. I guess SLOTS not generating enough money for them.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
edmond1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven
......He wasn't using HPI's site, just accessing the wi-fi which you have to do by logging into HPI's gateway. So, add another potential location for good wi-fi reception.......

Ted
Right now the whole building is affected with this problem ....
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
edmond1

Quote:

They changed their system about a year ago which improved performance dramatically throughout building. Only recently has there been problems as discussed above.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Canarsie

Quote:

There's a very smart man. Doesn't cost much for a cable and you can have the larger screen and a securer line. Sometimes I have to tether my desktop (rare) if my cable provider goes down.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Figaro

I'm pleased to announce that Woodbine finally emailed me back today and are working on the WI-FI problems. It's wishful thinking, but I hope these problems are fixed by May 5th for the Kentucky Derby day. I want to pick a good spot and not have to leave my seat except for food and washroom breaks.

Here's the email they sent me today.

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the use of your playbook with our WIFI network. I want to apologize for the delay in responding to your issue.

I am currently investigating the issues with our WIFI as well as the compatibility with various devices and our various sites. Currently we have identified multiple issues with our WIFI system and are working to resolve the issues, both with new hardware and system configuration.

Once we are able to implement the above improvements we anticipate the problems with our signal reliability will be resolved.

In terms of the functionality with our "Full Site," I was able to recreate the issues you had mentioned. We have brought these problems to our developers who are looking into a permanent fix. Until such time I would advise you to try using a third party browser, like Dolphin Browser (available as a free download through App World). I have tested the functionality of our site and the only problem that remains is access to Video, which has also been escalated to our developers.

You also have the option to use our new Mobile Site (m.horseplayerinteractive.com). Our mobile site has a full betting interface, access to programs, transactions history, HPI Fund, changes and horse information.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or any member of the HPI Team at hpi@woodbineentertainment.com or 416-675-8886.
Clay Chisholm
Manager, HPI Projects | Wagering Systems | WEG
p 416.675.8886 | 2686
c 416.436.4649

cchisholm@woodbineentertainment.com

Fellow horseplayers, please contact the above if you want something done to fix our WI-FI at Woodbine as soon as possible.