Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
jognlope

Anyone get money on Telling?

In yesterday's Sword Dancer at Spa, 10 cent super paid $3,900.

Odds were 39/1.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
hbeck

Yes, (not me)

http://www.thorograph.com/phorum/rea...3925#msg-53925
hbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
jognlope

Haha! I know that one hurt.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
Haha! I know that one hurt.
So you just want to make sport of folks that lost money on this miserable excuse for a G1 contest? Telling was the poorest rated runner in the field, no matter who's ratings were used. A very high risk stab for anyone who used him in the win spot.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
cmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
So you just want to make sport of folks that lost money on this miserable excuse for a G1 contest? Telling was the poorest rated runner in the field, no matter who's ratings were used. A very high risk stab for anyone who used him in the win spot.
I missed the race. But went back and looked over my procaps software..Telling was ranked number one in 9 of 20 categories..
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore
I missed the race. But went back and looked over my procaps software..Telling was ranked number one in 9 of 20 categories..
Indeed!?! Yet that was not enough to make him a top rated choice in this field. I understand that stakes racing is about moving up in class but this one was a real stinker in my book. I didnt bet the race and I am certainly not amused with the result. Thanks for the input, Cliff.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
ArlJim78

I bet Telling to win. my own ratings had flagged him, and the more I looked at the PP's, the more I liked.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Telling was the poorest rated runner in the field, no matter who's ratings were used.
I posted my pick for the win on another forum, so it's in writing.

I picked Telling to win.

I was laughed at and told to save my money after I posted.

If you look at his stats on the broodmare side, they are spectacular on turf at this distance...about 3 times higher than every other horse in that race. That's why I picked him, it jumped out at me.

Record is 17-5-4-4 record, he only finished off the board 4 times in his life.

Last edited by WinterTriangle; 08-17-2009 at 01:30 AM.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #9
WinterTriangle

Oh forgot to say that when a horse is scratched out of a race, and entered in another right away, that always puts my antlers up. finding a better spot is often indicative of a possible win? that's been my experience, keeping track of scratches religiously for a while?

Anhyone else have this as an "angle"? Most recent I can think of is I saw Linda Rice had scratched Ahvee's Destiny, then showed up shortly in the Finney Stakes at Saratoga and won. I think the odds were around 4-1.

Last edited by WinterTriangle; 08-17-2009 at 01:42 AM.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #10
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I bet Telling to win. my own ratings had flagged him, and the more I looked at the PP's, the more I liked.
Im happy for your play, Jim but there is not much to like about his last 10 races. He hadnt attended the pace well enough in his races this year to keep from having to circle the field to find room. He failed 3 back at odds on in a minor stakes. He hadnt won in more than 18 months. I don't see anything there that could put someone on this horse to win a major G1 stakes race.

Maybe I'm going blind.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
keilan
Veteran

Anyone that boasts after hitting Telling should also post their ticket. I have trouble believing someone here played this horse with confidence ie $$$

I think Telling likes a harder turf surface but that win moved him forward more than was likely.

To triangle, so you played him in a contest but show us where you actually cashed a ticket. And Jim78 should probably toss his program in the trash if his program flag him but he continues w/ the more I looked at the PP's, the more I liked.. Uh Jim the PP's didn't show this horse in a positive light.

Finally triangle talks about the horse scratching to run in a G1 -- that's right scratched out of another race to run a G1. This has to be a Boxy angle

thanx for laughs guys keep em coming!!!
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
Record is 17-5-4-4 record, he only finished off the board 4 times in his life.
Twice in his past 3 races makes 3 times off this year. 1 win on turf and zero at the distance in 3 tries does not give me any confidence in the broodmare stats. I suppose I am old fashioned expecting G1 winners to actually be winners before the fact.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
RockHardTen1985
Veteran

Quote:
Im happy for your play, Jim but there is not much to like about his last 10 races. He hadnt attended the pace well enough in his races this year to keep from having to circle the field to find room. He failed 3 back at odds on in a minor stakes. He hadnt won in more than 18 months. I don't see anything there that could put someone on this horse to win a major G1 stakes race.

Maybe I'm going blind.

Your wrong, he ran well at AP last time. Just as well came back to validate the race in a big way. I'm sure Jim saw that.
RockHardTen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
Your wrong,
Well of course I am! You and Jim and jognlope being on that winner proves it.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
jognlope

I didn't bet him. The Spa hates me, never gives me one dime. I'm a Beulah Park kinda girl.