Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #91
46zilzal
velocitician

I see the same poor slobs each weekend: they have 5 tip sheets and the newspaper and they are switching (while trying to handicap in the noise of the track) standard breds & T-bred short and long on turf and poly in New York Florida and California all at the same time.

They spend ZERO time on evaluating a line or in wager creation, YET they somehow keep coming back yelling that the trainers and owners have it "fixed."

If they think that why play?

And these same out of touch fellows come up to the computer screen all the time telling our group that we don't know what WE are doing...It is pitiful.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 09-17-2010 at 04:18 PM.
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #92
Fastracehorse

Great post in a great thread........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The handicapping authors are partly to blame for the misfortunes of the players, IMO.

Since their main motive is to sell as many books as possible...they downplay the inherent difficulties of this game...making it appear a lot easier than it really is.

Outrageous claims, and carefully chosen race examples, make these authors look like geniouses...and, as a result, beginning players copy their playing methods, and head to the track with very unrealistic expectations.

Our game comes equipped with heartbreaking losses, and head-spinning losing streaks...and the only players who profit, are the ones who have learned how to win the ongoing battle against their own emotions.

Unfortunately...that knowledge can take many years to aquire...and cannot be taught in any book.

.........if U are a seasoned player U can handle the 'cruelness' of the game alot better; it must be more stressful than we realize; the game can actually snatch well deserved money right from your hands.

Next time you win from a fortuitous happenstance: Tell yourself you deserve it - because you do!

fffastt
Fastracehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #93
jamey1977

Can Say That Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The handicapping authors are partly to blame for the misfortunes of the players, IMO.

Since their main motive is to sell as many books as possible...they downplay the inherent difficulties of this game...making it appear a lot easier than it really is.

Outrageous claims, and carefully chosen race examples, make these authors look like geniouses...and, as a result, beginning players copy their playing methods, and head to the track with very unrealistic expectations.

Our game comes equipped with heartbreaking losses, and head-spinning losing streaks...and the only players who profit, are the ones who have learned how to win the ongoing battle against their own emotions.

Unfortunately...that knowledge can take many years to aquire...and cannot be taught in any book.
This game sucks. I tried to win half at 6 dollars. In my tests. I can't. Too many variables. Wow. I can make 1000 rules and still lose. I have tested the overlays. In my overlay tests with just 15 rules. Not 1000. It is possible to obtain a 20 to 30 percent profit. It can be done. But damn, in my tests. I did runs for 3 months, on 3 circuits at the same time. New York, North. And South Calif. I play all 3. I got the plays out but the losing streaks were awful. I lost 13 in a row over 3 days. I mean how the hell is someone going to take that ? . And you wait for races for your race and you bet your horse and the other contender comes in.! It just comes to the point. We are setting ourselves up to get our butts kicked. The Overlays can turn a profit. It can be done. Overlay was right. He gets Kudos from me. Winning Half at 6 dollars. Not In This Life.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #94
classhandicapper

The game is tough because we are often working with incomplete or inaccurate information and a less than perfect understanding of the situation, type of race, issues in the race etc...

Sometimes we are competing with people that have a better combination of both in that specific situation. But our egos tend to make us think that all our information is accurate and complete and we understand everything. So what we perceive to be underlays or overlays are sometimes perfectly efficient odds.

That's what makes it tough.

To overcome that, you have to limit yourself to situations that you know you understand well and where you know you know something that the general public and perhaps even other high level handicappers do not.

For example, I know that I'm not as good a turf handicapper as I am a dirt handicapper and also know a major weakness in my game is pedigree and the associated values of that kind of information.

So you'll never see me play a turf race with a lot of 1st time starters and/or 1st time turfers. However, I also know that turf and dirt speed figures do not translate well and some very informed handicappers in the public eye do not grasp that as well as I do. So I sometimes have opportunities on surface switches where the horses have clear form on both surfaces because I know other people are misunderstanding their surface preferences, performances, and current form based on figures that do not translate.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #95
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
If they think that why play?
Entertainment?
We need to cultivate this group. We need these people.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #96
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I have a tape of the alpha sound to put my brain in alpha when I handicap
The zebra in the movie Racing Stripes would hear African drums and singing from his native land. Worked for him!
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #97
BUD

I was lucky to read the same Sh1t early as everyone----Then After My Struggle-Stagnet straggle---I Got some help-----Early -Very early in that help I jumped
around to my freakin folly- The Wind Blew a Winner this way--Im On it-----

I stopped that------Stayed with my Helps System---Learned to think like that--
Learned to implement My best---Rid my worst------

I will Piss off some---SORRY-----But Its a Fu#*N Pleasure to wake and play this Great Game---

Yep I Lose----Yes I win----------Me? Im a Li'l Fish at a BIG Window-------

I Still Love My Hommies Tips when I get them too-----

I guess what I am saying----In my short time---I learned to stick with a sytem-
If you think the Game sux your Perception rules---Stop playing------Its Freaking Fun when you can play with or against others-------The Most Fun Playing with someone-----Punt- only what you can afford------

The State of Affairs Sux EVERYWHERE so Escape in the game---Focus on the positive and fuc--k the negative-------Life way to damned short---I Know-

Im Really not preaching-Thanking many---And Thanking this Awesome Game.