Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
FantasticDan
gelding

I was at Finger Lakes this past Sunday, and had a couple newbie betting questions that I wonder if someone could lend a hand with..

The 3rd race had an exacta payout of $137, but the TRI payout (which had a 3-5 horse coming in 3rd) was only 74.50:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...052409USA3.pdf

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing, and there was much muttering/complaining from the regulars in the paddock room. I don't expect the TRI in such a case to be that much more than the EX, but $60 less?

Second question.. in the 4th race, there was a dead heat for the Win:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...052409USA4.pdf

Why did Dreamin of Victory, whose final odds were 3-1, only pay $3.60 for the win? Doesn't each horse that "wins" in a dead heat pay out their actual final odds?

I'm assuming the answer to both my questions has to do with pool distribution or some such thing, but I was just wondering.....

Thanks for the help.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
I was at Finger Lakes this past Sunday, and had a couple newbie betting questions that I wonder if someone could lend a hand with..

The 3rd race had an exacta payout of $137, but the TRI payout (which had a 3-5 horse coming in 3rd) was only 74.50:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...052409USA3.pdf

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing, and there was much muttering/complaining from the regulars in the paddock room. I don't expect the TRI in such a case to be that much more than the EX, but $60 less?
This is certainly unusual, but does happen from time to time. Sometimes when bettors believe there are only three real contenders in a race, they will box all three in the trifecta, even when one horse is strongly favored by the public at low odds such as 3-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
Second question.. in the 4th race, there was a dead heat for the Win:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...052409USA4.pdf

Why did Dreamin of Victory, whose final odds were 3-1, only pay $3.60 for the win? Doesn't each horse that "wins" in a dead heat pay out their actual final odds?

I'm assuming the answer to both my questions has to do with pool distribution or some such thing, but I was just wondering.....

Thanks for the help.
Let's illustrate with an example race pool:
Total $ bet in win pool = $ 10000
Track take-out (using 20% rate) = $ 2000
Balance of pool to be paid out to winners = 10000-2000 = $8000
If a horse's odds in this race are 3 to 1 and it wins. , it would mean there are 1000, $2 tickets which would be worth $8 each. Note: 1000 tickets * $8 each = the $8000 pool total.
If a horse's odds in this race are 7 to 1 and it wins, it would mean there are 500, $2 tickets which would be worth $16 each. Note: 500 tickets * $16 each = the $8000 pool total.

If both horses dead-heat for 1st, their payouts would still come (or be SHARED) from the same $8000 available payout pool, and thus their respective payouts would be less than their win pool odds, which is based on them capturing the payout pool all by themselves.

I hope this helps.
Track Collector is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
FantasticDan
gelding

Indeed it does! Thanks!
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
hbeck

The New York Derby, at Finger Lakes?
hbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply