Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

If lockdowns work, why haven't they worked so far?

Old 12-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Old 12-04-2020, 01:00 AM   #3
davew

lockdowns work at delaying how long it takes you to catch covid
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
kingfin66
Bombardier

The lockdown could have worked, but...

In my experience, the lockdown didn't work because it wasn't really a lockdown. What chance of success could it possibly of had when 1/2 the people were still going out into the world every day and interacting and spreading the virus.

Also, at the time of our lockdown (Washington), the whole mask wearing edict had not yet rolled out. Recall that at one time the CDC actually said that wearing a mask did not help. So the people who were deemed essential and, thus, out in the community, were only wearing masks if they opted to do so.

The only way a lockdown would really work is if it were a true lockdown, and a worldwide one. Everybody stays indoors for two weeks. Boxes of food delivered or picked up ahead of time. Airport closed, ports closed, borders closed. We all truly lockdown. All over the world. For two weeks.

I don't think I need to go into the reasons why this is not feasible.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
davew

we will get a national 3 month mask mandate if Joe gets inaugurated. I wonder if that includes being in house, and if they will have bonuses for those turning in their neighbors?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Also, at the time of our lockdown (Washington), the whole mask wearing edict had not yet rolled out. Recall that at one time the CDC actually said that wearing a mask did not help.
I thought the mask thing was Trump's fault. Did he force the CDC to say such a thing?

Asking for hcap.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
we will get a national 3 month mask mandate if Joe gets inaugurated. I wonder if that includes being in house, and if they will have bonuses for those turning in their neighbors?
I wish him luck getting SC to follow him on the mandate. Fatigue prevents his "mandate" from working. People are tired of govt idiots making poor and ill formed decisions. Like the bar owner in NY. A block away you can dine, but he has to close down. That makes no sense but govt is about cookie cutter solutions, which is why people in govt are not in business. The dumb gravitate toward govt jobs, like post office jobs.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
Marshall Bennett

Lock-downs don't work. Only Nazi democrats tell us they work. Heated crowded enclosures cause the virus to spread about as bad as direct contact.
Ma, or one of five kids run to store, contract covid, then bring it home.
The Nazi leaders want as many civilians to die as possible. That way they'll have fewer to deal with later on when they declare themselves kings and queens. The Shah of Iran did exactly that, so don't laugh too fast.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
stuball

yes

and let's alll remember the virus comes out at ten o'clock sharp
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #12
fast4522

If lock downs work, why haven't they worked so far? from start of thread. . . .

I did not watch Tucker Carlsons vid in post #1, So here goes.

We as a society are not setup to protect the vulnerable, in settings like old age homes and retirement homes the main concerns are regulations and cheep labor. A virus that only kills 1 % it was very effective and efficient in killing. If a virus had a kill rate of 40 % does anyone think that we could manage it, ridiculous notion. To give a grade from 1 to 100 in percent form to what we have learned from this I would say 1 % learned, tops. In our government during the beginning of this mess some military personnel went on rotation in underground facilities as part of continuity of government programs (COG). Without effectively sealing our borders and rethinking many of the things we do and how their done everything we are soon to talk about is nothing more than bullshit.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #13
thaskalos

Let's see. Trump laughed at the lockdowns and the masks, and continued campaigning as usual while unmasked. And he, along with most of his family, got infected by COVID-19. Biden, on the other hand, was quick in putting on his mask...and he remained locked down in his basement during his election campaign. And he has been able to remain virus-free to this day. Therefore...how can I believe that the lockdowns don't work?

Last edited by thaskalos; 12-04-2020 at 08:28 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I thought the mask thing was Trump's fault. Did he force the CDC to say such a thing?

Asking for hcap.
The CDC information I referenced was very early on. I actually became aware of it because I had several of my staff clamoring for masks. My response was and is to follow CDC guidance. At the time (early-March) the CDC guidance was different. In fact they changed shortly after. The guidance has been firmly for wearing masks for a long time. Trump could have had a significant influence on people wearing masks had he worn one or verbally supported people wearing one. Instead he mocked them and refused to wear with very few exceptions (I saw him with one in a hospital).

I still say that a lockdown would not work unless it was a real lockdown and people cooperated. If people do not cooperate by wearing a mask, there is no way they will cooperate with a lockdown.

Do you typically wear a mask? Why or why not?
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Let's see. Trump laughed at the lockdowns and the masks, and continued campaigning as usual while unmasked. And he, along with most of his family, got infected by COVID-19. Biden, on the other hand, was quick in putting on his mask...and he remained locked down in his basement during his election campaign. And he has been able to remain virus-free to this day. Therefore...how can I believe that the lockdowns don't work?
It is a free country, do what works for you. If you were 78 I am sure you would be in your basement too.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: