Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #571
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Of course he didn't want to fire him. But why would he fire him before the "real truth" came out?

The poster Highnote suggested to me that we shouldn't "throw the book at the connections", before hearing their side.

Well...isn't that what Asmussen did? Didn't Asmussen "throw the book at his assistant"...before telling us his "side of the story"?

If the video can be refuted...then why the rash decision to can Blasi?
Maybe he knows that when the hubbub dies down, he's going to hire him back one rainy Tuesday morning at 3am when nobody's watching.

I think their side of the story is probably that someone illegally tape recorded them without their permission and that there was really no abuse going on and they have proof that what was put out on the tape is really not what it seems and oh yeah, they love their horses and can prove it and would never run a horse who wasnt fit to run.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #572
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Of course he didn't want to fire him. But why would he fire him before the "real truth" came out?

The poster Highnote suggested to me that we shouldn't "throw the book at the connections", before hearing their side.

Well...isn't that what Asmussen did? Didn't Asmussen "throw the book at his assistant"...before telling us his "side of the story"?

If the video can be refuted...then why the rash decision to can Blasi?

He canned him to save his ass before more owners pulled out. Hell no he didn't wan to fire him. Assmussen and Blasi both knew the horse had half a foot.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #573
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Yes...but, instead of telling us his "side"...Asmussen fired his assistant.

What "feeling" do you get from THAT move?
The man admitted to illegal conspiracy to obtain fraudulent SS #s
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #574
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
He canned him to save his ass before more owners pulled out. Hell no he didn't wan to fire him. Assmussen and Blasi both knew the horse had half a foot.

I couldn't tell from the video what the condition of his foot was. I only watched the video once. Was there a close-up of the foot -- or is the only evidence what the people in the video said?

On a different note... the video mentions the foot and then in the next sentence mentions that Nehro dies of colic. The producer tries to make it sound like the injured foot and the colic are related. Are they? Could they be?

I think I read that laminitis led to Secretariat's death.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #575
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
The man admitted to illegal conspiracy to obtain fraudulent SS #s

What does that have to do with animal cruelty?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #576
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Something to do with his quick termination, maybe? The employer would want to distance himself quickly from that can of worms.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #577
BUD

PETA is also known to do anything & everything to be relevant. As a person who has done investigations for years, the PETA' narrative fails as judicial proof.

Now I will not be naïve to say cheating doesn't occur-Hell competition for a livelihood breeds creative contention. Sadly in our sport that correlates to animal cruelty--Is Steve guilty as charged? I would say ??? Yes & No.

I will not charge him on a PETA narrative to be released around the 1st Saturday in May---It smells of a BIG PETA PR

Just my Opine-

Last edited by BUD; 03-27-2014 at 07:24 PM.
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #578
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD
PETA is also known to do anything & everything to be relevant...

I will not charge him on a PETA narrative to be released around the 1st Saturday in May---It smells of a BIG PETA PR

Just my Opine-
PETA might have more up their sleeve. I believe they are not just focused on Asmussen alone.

So, do any of you have any questions that you want address to PETA? I might be encountering their president Newkirk at a public meeting next week. Post them here and I will make some notes and try to ask some of those.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #579
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
PETA might have more up their sleeve. I believe they are not just focused on Asmussen alone.

So, do any of you have any questions that you want address to PETA? I might be encountering their president Newkirk at a public meeting next week. Post them here and I will make some notes and try to ask some of those.

Ask him why Assmusen?
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #580
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
Ask him why Assmusen?
Remember Michael Dickinson did something like this a few years ago to try to catch a trainer using a milkshake. I think it took place in Florida. I forget who the trainer was, but he was a well-known one.

Dickinson got criticized more for trying to catch a cheater than the allegedly cheating trainer.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #581
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Remember Michael Dickinson did something like this a few years ago to try to catch a trainer using a milkshake. I think it took place in Florida. I forget who the trainer was, but he was a well-known one.

Dickinson got criticized more for trying to catch a cheater than the allegedly cheating trainer.
He had a PI chase down Behrens and Val's Prince (H. James Bond) from Payson before the Classic and Turf, I believe. Part of the reason for the closing statement, I also believe based on memory, is that even the PI found nothing, the car chasing the van was alleged to have nearly run the van off the road, and the whole episode amounted to harassment on race-day of his (Dickinson's) rival trainers by the PIs.

It was just one of those events if memory serves me well that proved that it isn't enough to be good intentioned and sincere if you want to do something right or it may backfire.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #582
turninforhome10

After reading the inputs from many industry professionals, I really am most impressed with Mr Gural at the Meadowlands. Would love to hear the harness guys chime at how they like the product at the Big M and if Mr Gural's policies are working. I really like his policies on stallions. Any thoughts?
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...ghbred-racing/
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #583
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Everyone sure is a hurry to throw the book at the connections before anyone has heard their side.
Take horse racing out of it. Any job where similar kind of money, reputations etcetera are involved. Then take a Vice President from the business, put him on tape acting in the same manner as Blasi, and let it hit the public. Do you think any corporation wouldn't be swift to act?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #584
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Take horse racing out of it. Any job where similar kind of money, reputations etcetera are involved. Then take a Vice President from the business, put him on tape acting in the same manner as Blasi, and let it hit the public. Do you think any corporation wouldn't be swift to act?
Ralph, i agree, we are a guilty till proven innocent society, that's just how many people want to work it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #585
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

It depends on the circumstances. Is the gov of NJ guilty in the Bridgegate?

Everyone was sure quick to jump on the wagon to condemn him without knowing all the facts.

PETA is a political organization just like dems and repubs. Their job is to try to move the public opinion needle. Mission accomplished.