Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
BUD

90% Of These Guys do a Great job day in and out. I used to enjoy when TVG showed the Cali Gate Crew. I remember one day they (TVG) talked to many of the crew. Asked the Fellas how long they been at that job at that track. I was Pretty impressed By how long most of the guys were there-

Then Again Who Am I??? I thought I Just saw The Enchalada Party. WTH?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
FantasticDan
gelding

Speaking of gate crews, I was watching Finger Lakes' live stream and noticed a couple instances in the past week where a crewman gave a horse a quick slap with a whip well outside the gate when the horse was balking at loading. Both times it got the horse's attention, and they moved in briskly.

Is this standard procedure with crews? Somehow I'd never noticed it before..
Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
Speaking of gate crews, I was watching Finger Lakes' live stream and noticed a couple instances in the past week where a crewman gave a horse a quick slap with a whip well outside the gate when the horse was balking at loading. Both times it got the horse's attention, and they moved in briskly.

I notice this at alot of different tracks, there is always one guy with a whip that looks like a tree branch, a quick tap on the rear end and the horse moves in. As well i see the jocks tapping the rear end with their whips as well.

I'm with Jeff, if you keep trip notes it can complicate things, far from nitpicking in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
If you watch races, and aren't able to realize that the number above the gate was wrong, then your trip notes don't rate to be worth much.

This thread is nitpicking....at best.
While I agree that this is no big deal, your defense of anything NYRA does incorrectly is really getting a bit tiresome.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
While I agree that this is no big deal, your defense of anything NYRA does incorrectly is really getting a bit tiresome.

I didn't defend NYRA in this instance...and if you weren't so hellbent on always taking shots at me you might have seen that.

Or maybe you wouldn't have. Your loss.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #21
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
I didn't defend NYRA in this instance...and if you weren't so hellbent on always taking shots at me you might have seen that.

Maybe you wouldn't be a target for the pot shots if you were not so damned obnoxious.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell Mell
Maybe you wouldn't be a target for the pot shots if you were not so damned obnoxious.
This post conjured up the famous scene in "Goodfellas" when Spider told Tommy (Pesci) to go...well, "chase" himself.

"You're going to let him get away with that? You're going to let this guy get away with that? What's the matter with you?"

"WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO?"
Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #23
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
If you watch races, and aren't able to realize that the number above the gate was wrong, then your trip notes don't rate to be worth much.
What compelled you to make this statement?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4Love
The worst gate crew in the country. 1st race today. They had the numbers posted wrong on top of the starting gate. Before they hit the button all the men inside were looking up and out the front. The 5 horse was marked 2B. They broke anyway. What the He>>!!!!! I know they had to refund money at least twice this year at the Spa. It was so bad a couple years ago that they had to fire the "starter" in the middle of the meet.
In this thread:
I learned that the symbol ">" can be used as the "double hockey sticks" in a clever writing of the word "hell".

However i believe it really should be "<"

WHAT THE HE<<

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-22-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan

good question

i haven't seen that in a while, but recall it happening.

for the most part the "walk-it-out" move - where the horse does a 360degree walk seems to notify them and "reset" them...

sometimes the two man arm-lock is necessary before pushing the buttocks. I have seen NYRA workers avoid eye-contact while executing the double lock buttocks push, and all other gate crews engage in eye contact with dlbp.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #26
cj's dad

Quote:

You must have me confused with someone else. I think this may be one of only a few times where I have responded directly to one of your posts. I do so out of deference to cj.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
Ernie Dahlman

thanks

The NYRA gate crew is great. I own 2 difficult gate horses and they have been working with them in the morning and have been very helpful. It's a difficult job that they excel at.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #28
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
What compelled you to make this statement?

Logic.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Logic.
Jeff's initial post seemed to me like a genuine thank-you for something he thought he might likely miss.

You, for unknown reasons, decided to belittle him for a post that was in no way directed at or a personal criticism of YOU. Rather than assume that you took a pot shot him him, Jeff in a later post took the high road and tried to make sure you understood his comment, and you instead responded again with a snide remark.

I have read from others their high respect of your handicapping talents and abilities. You really do not need to act this way.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
Jeff's initial post seemed to me like a genuine thank-you for something he thought he might likely miss.

You, for unknown reasons, decided to belittle him for a post that was in no way directed at or a personal criticism of YOU. Rather than assume that you took a pot shot him him, Jeff in a later post took the high road and tried to make sure you understood his comment, and you instead responded again with a snide remark.

I have read from others their high respect of your handicapping talents and abilities. You really do not need to act this way.

We see things differently.
Closed Thread