Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
turninforhome10

Maiden claimers vary greatly by time of year and time remaining at race meet. Like right now IMHO big outfits are looking to cull and win over having to winter a horse. Those that are not going south for GP or Tam might be spotted to win and be claimed. Del Park usually has some decent buys for those that claim.
My decision making sometimes revolves a quote from a friend when I asked him if his horse had a shot today:
"If this horse breaks his maiden he will loose his best friend"
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
Greyfox

Maiden Claimers?

1. Seldom if ever bet first time starters - exception would be excellent morning drills and other entrants have nowhere ran near par in their starts.

2. Pay attention to the trainer-jockey stats. If the "go to" guy is in the saddle where he hasn't been in previous races, trainer intent is present.

3. Maiden Sp wt to Maiden claiming is a huge class drop at most major tracks.
Beware the dropper who was purchased for a very high price and is now coming in for a low price. Make sure that you check his appearance in the Post Parade, he's (she's) for sale and might not be intact. However, sometimes with the drop, it might be able to win on 3 legs against a weak field.

4. Maidens are usually the most honest horses at the track. If you don't play those races, you'll miss out on several horizontal exotic opportunities.

5. Watch for barn changes. A maiden switching to a poor trainer usually doesn't do as well as before. A maiden switching to a "hot shot" trainer may improve in leaps and bounds. Check the trainer's stats with first time take overs.

6. Don't label a Maiden with a particular running style until it's had several races. When you toss out a runner who you've suspected is a "need to lead"
type and won't get the lead, you'll be shocked how frequently that runner may show a better performance from behind the pace.

Last edited by Greyfox; 09-18-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorcus
The number is just an example but they run many in the summer at Saratoga and there is one next Friday at Belmont. Use lower numbers if you like.
The point is, that there is 1 50k mcl this week @belmont..its not a common thing. I would like to see if anyone has stats on how many horses get claimed from a $50k+ mcl. I would think that if anyone wanted to spend that much money for a horse, there are smarter ways to do it than to buy a horse someone is willing to risk b4 they even win a race or even run before. Either way, i still usually handicap that same way...looking for a horse that can take advantage of a pace situation etc. rbj
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
BUD

I Find If You Can Handle The word PASS---If You are dedicated to watch and Watch MC---Look For MPW Dropping--Cant Miss--Why--Talking Heads won' let you--

OK To My Lil List--0 fer 25 MC-Hmm-All say Its Trash--Find anything Redeeming ith the last 2-3 races--Maybe ofer 10 and a New Gelding---Or first turf---VS Shyt---

First timers vs Shyt--Then first timers are viable..

Also--if they be wee ones look Ped and fowl date---In UK 2yo go 1 plus--

redboard alert---putting this 2 info in in a uk maiden 2yo--I have some winna's

Do Remember Pass---Tho---No Value There--Yes there are thousand of races to get in Mate--------I am tired its late---Anyone correct me---Peace---Londons Finest---BuD---Nah...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
Capper Al

Thanks everyone for the input.

Castaway01,

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
I'm confused why you'd want to ignore class droppers when that's one of the best ways to beat maiden claiming races. You can still get a price because the droppers usually look SO terrible at the MSW level. It might be an "angle" but I wouldn't ignore it.
I do watch for class drops. What I'm looking for in this thread is number crunching methods. A lot of Maiden Claimers can't use Maiden stats or running stats. It's a gray area.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
Canarsie

This doesn't happen that often but I always use this angle. If a FTS is owned, trained, and bred by the same person I figure they know the horses limits and are appropriately spotted.

After the first start I still give this type of angle a good hard look if the horse showed any type of effort in it's previous races.

It also always pay to look at the race replays as the comments are not always accurate. They could be carried wide, bumped a little, and other stuff that isn't used.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
JohnGalt1

Mike Helm, I believe, advises to look up breeding on maidens dropping in class. He believes that it's like a new start since it's against weaker competition. It makes sense to me, so I do it.

I use Bris Sire Stats. When I see a MDN Special Wgt drop down I look up the sire and dam sire's ratings for First Time Starters. I also look up their FTS rating if they have only one start and put the result in (--), unless the only race was "troubled", then I don't put it in parenthesis.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
This doesn't happen that often but I always use this angle. If a FTS is owned, trained, and bred by the same person I figure they know the horses limits and are appropriately spotted.
I'm the opposite. I like high end owners with a decent trainer-- shipping a maiden claimer; I prefer lightly raced, dropping for a score. You won't be able to handicap these, because their races look awful. I've got a method from observation-- but forget about a rating system.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
ldiatone

some view what horses finished 2nd or 3rd in the last race and reason the winner is not in the this race so that(2nd,or3rd finisher) horse is a contender. some don't even consider maidens w/ a record of 8 races or more w/ no wins, "professional maiden".
i veiw pars, and if horses in MSW's don't run close to pars then i consider FTS w/ good workouts.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Bruddah
Veteran

Over the years I have learned not to bet maiden claimers. If I do, it's an action bet for $5 or $10 only.

A waste of money and time trying to figure winners. (JMHO)
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #26
thaskalos

IMO...pace figures are more helpful than speed (final time) figures when handicapping maiden claimers.

Horses who have been "battle tested" in quicker-paced races often hold an edge over those exiting slower-paced races...even if that edge is not apparent by looking at their speed figures.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-19-2011 at 05:12 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #27
098poi

I think the more lightly raced the better. As has been posted second time starters often surprise. Maiden races have an expectation of improvement. The horse is not intended to race in that class forever. Never disregard the lightly raced horse. Who is more likely to improve and leave the maiden ranks, the horse who has raced 10 times with superior numbers or the horse who has race 3 or 4 times with so-so numbers?
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
BeatTheChalk

I will trade what I know about Mdn Claimers for what you know about the other races

Whatever you are doing to win in other types of races .. Trade for my
knowledge of the maidens. A bit of tongue in cheek here..
But I have found the best way to play maiden claimers : Look at the
second call times of each horse. Find the top 3 horses and go from there.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #29
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Maiden Claimers?

1. Seldom if ever bet first time starters - exception would be excellent morning drills and other entrants have nowhere ran near par in their starts.

2. Pay attention to the trainer-jockey stats. If the "go to" guy is in the saddle where he hasn't been in previous races, trainer intent is present.

3. Maiden Sp wt to Maiden claiming is a huge class drop at most major tracks.
Beware the dropper who was purchased for a very high price and is now coming in for a low price. Make sure that you check his appearance in the Post Parade, he's (she's) for sale and might not be intact. However, sometimes with the drop, it might be able to win on 3 legs against a weak field.

4. Maidens are usually the most honest horses at the track. If you don't play those races, you'll miss out on several horizontal exotic opportunities.

5. Watch for barn changes. A maiden switching to a poor trainer usually doesn't do as well as before. A maiden switching to a "hot shot" trainer may improve in leaps and bounds. Check the trainer's stats with first time take overs.

6. Don't label a Maiden with a particular running style until it's had several races. When you toss out a runner who you've suspected is a "need to lead"
type and won't get the lead, you'll be shocked how frequently that runner may show a better performance from behind the pace.
I enjoyed that post a lot.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
Spiderman

Only bet maiden claimers when race is part of P3, P4 or P6 sequence. Then, I would use two or three.

Rarely use a first time starter in maiden claiming race, unless: A) excellent workout pattern and B) pedigree suggests early speed on either dam or sire side of family. Prefer dam side as indicator of potential.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply