Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #46
lamboguy

i was actually told one time where the tvg personalities get their picks from, it was from a place like myhorseplayers.com

i know i don't have the name right, but it is something like that.

as far as takeout is concerned, it is perloff's job to tell you that takeout doesnot matter when he tries to get you to play high take out plays. he is on television on monday's and tusedays. that is when philly park is running, he focuses in on large sized pick 3 and pick pick 4 tickets with 33% takeout. if you bet the ticket with tvg they make roughly 26% on your wager. if the ticket size is $40 they make $10. that is pretty good in my book for no risk.

he never puts up a win ticket, that is because their is not as much hold in it for the network.

their is something that perloff did do that i happened to like, he started to focus in on the improprioties of after the bell betting. he started a crusade and quit after a week. my guess is that he was probably told to by his boss.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #47
WJ47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
With the football season starting it is hard to believe that Betfair can't afford at least one person to cover the TVG shows on Monday & Tuesday.

How cheap can you get?

________
David-LV
I agree. I turned TVG off and watched Jericho reruns all day instead. I hope this was just a one time thing.
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #48
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ47
I agree. I turned TVG off and watched Jericho reruns all day instead. I hope this was just a one time thing.
There's a Jericho comic book now too..........
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #49
llegend39
Veteran

TVG Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Fully agree.
Rich was the only reason I would ever watch on Mon/Tues.
I seldom bet on those days, but it was fun to listen.
He'll still strengthen their Wed-Sun shows.

Good luck!
Funny thats the only reason I DIDNT WATCH on TUESDAYS He is hard to take for me
You think they would have enough sense to run the results ticker at the bottom but then again TVG make sense?
llegend39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #50
lamboguy

if i ran TVG, i would have programing like yesteray with no one on. i would put a message at the bottom of the screen, bet with tvg, call this number and get a rebate. get rid of the whole format that tvg does today and give the savings back to the customers and double their business.

at one time and this may still be true today, tvg charged their customers .25 to make any bet per ticket. if you were playing a $2.00 ticket you had to pay that fee, if you punched in a daily double like this one !-2, 1-3 , 1-4, 1-5. it would have cost you $1.00 in fees. i have no idea if they still charge. but tvg used to scare people away from the game. maybe its time for tvg to figure out that their potential customers might be alot smarter than they are. and that their customers don't need to listen to their analyst's read their picks from a sheet of paper and listen to their reason's.

i had opened an account with TVG to bet japan racing years ago. when i tried to bet it they would not allow me to play it. i opened my account with $100. i never made a bet and lost $1.75 a month for they described as inactivity fees. i just closed my account and they sent me a check a month later for $12.00. i had seen on tvg that they had a promotion where if you put so much in your account they would match it in half up to $250. when i called they told me i was not elligible because i was not a new account. that is when i got my refund. thank you TVG, it was a pleasure doing business with you, and i am sure everyone loves to be treated like i did.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #51
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
If you flip through the shopping channels, something similar is on almost 24-7.

I like to watch them too. The more you watch, the less you want to buy them.
It was on again last night right at 10 PDT. A little web searching found them for sale at $105, not the $150 that TL is asking. Was being a bit sarcastic in my first post toward TVG, but the point I was trying to make was that if viewers find an infomercial more entertaining than their regular programming, things are not as they should be at that station.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #52
Lasix67

and dear lord look what HRTV's programming has turned into as of lately . All the more reason to get your RTN on.
Lasix67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #53
Stillriledup
Veteran

TVG's a joke, no FG no CD, what can you watch? NOTHING.

Time to call DISH and get the channel's package, enough of this nonsense.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #54
BUD

Horse racing is a great product. Its a Niche product---In Tv 24/7 Radio-Etc
We Americans have shown the inability to promote and grow the game-All the while we claim we are the Best Here--

Id Say the ball-Hoof is dropped- Its Time some Start up take Hold-Like a Pace Ad
And Let it rock with creativity---

I Understand its not as EZ as Said---But Something So Worthy should be tried-
Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #55
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
TVG's a joke, no FG no CD
Those tracks are owned by CDSN which is also part owner of HRTV along with Magna. Those signals are not available to TVG for video distribution. Not TVG's fault.

That being said, I don't watch TVG much. I'm quite happy with Twinspires video (also owned CDSN). Since BetFair acquired them, the TVG focus is on churn. I think they had a better viewer rapport in the first 5 years or so of the network. But handle is what talks.

They unfortunately have a role closer to shills or touts than analysts. They are like the equity analysts you see on CNBC with their buy ratings and always bullish--same thing. They also remind of Craps dealers who are trying to get the players to bet the hardways and other center box bets.

But the TVG bashing gets very old. Having them on the air is better than having them off the air. I think they do keep casual players interested in the game.

Also, I might not know what makes for "good television." I really can't stand ESPN. At least I can tolerate TVG. So maybe its the problem of the bashers. Also, there is no such thing as bad publicity--so the bashers are probably a net plus.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #56
Stillriledup
Veteran

Didnt want to start another tvg thread, is it just me or are the commercials tvg is running REALLY depressing? All their commercials are about death and disease.....its starting to get to me. Tanya Memme is the only bright spot in anotherwise dreary commercial bank from TVG.

That's right, its easy!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #57
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Didnt want to start another tvg thread, is it just me or are the commercials tvg is running REALLY depressing? All their commercials are about death and disease.....its starting to get to me. Tanya Memme is the only bright spot in anotherwise dreary commercial bank from TVG.

That's right, its easy!
You haven't bought a Chris Angel magic set yet?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #58
Lasix67

I love Rich, he has taught me alot about angles and handicapping. The model that TVG has used is a business decision and I won't argue with that since it is their business and they have to make the decisions that are best for their business
Lasix67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #59
pandy

Commercials

That I agree with, their commercials suck and are depressing, it's too bad they don't get more ad support from the racing industry.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #60
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

That's right, its easy!
A really nice break from Todd Schrup talking about nostril cleaning and other topical horse racing thing. What a loser!