Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-16-2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Caitlin Clark

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...cord-stats-all

A biological woman.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:32 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

I would bet any amount few people here knew who she was, I think it is rare for men to watch woman's basketball. I watch some from time to time.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

She's on pace to break Pistol Pete's college record.
Seems to be pretty well covered in the news.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
She's on pace to break Pistol Pete's college record.
Seems to be pretty well covered in the news.

I rarely watch the news.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:13 PM   #5
mountainman

CC is the only reason I watch women's BB, and I don't miss her games when they are aired. She is THAT compelling. Too bad the "worldwide leader" doesn't make it (so very much) easier to find her games.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2024, 06:39 AM   #6
RichieP

Only sport I watch now with the Mrs. is women's college basketball. UCONN is our team with her girls being former players and it is great to watch with much more team play and not the above the rim game being played everywhere else.

I have seen Caitlin play quite a few games and she is a generational player in my opinion. She has a range that is ridiculous and also gets all her team involved with her passing/playmaking skills.

I can't wait for March Madness to start- the family makes brackets and picks- we throw a few bucks in and sit around partying to watch the games. Hope everyone is doing great!

#
Old 02-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

The women's game has definitely improved leaps and bounds over the last couple decades. I remember back in the day they looked slow, were poor at shooting and lacked athleticism, far different now.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:23 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

I learned something new today. Both in college and in pros women play with a smaller basketball.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:46 PM   #9
mountainman

It seems somehow too self-conscious of women's bb to insist on (largely?) excluding male commentators.

And the talkers that do the games spew incessant praise that comes across as distinctly insecure and condescending. They sound like frightened social workers encouraging convicts to finger-paint.

When ladie's hoops takes ITSELF seriously enough to hire on some honest critique maybe it will make inroads.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:17 PM   #10
Mr_Ed

Clark is barely a blip on the map.

As for Pistol Pete. He accomplished his scoring in 3 varsity years, not 4 like Clark.

3 point line came after Pistol Pete's college years. Clark has enjoyed 3 point opportunities.

Caitlin Clark
Old 02-25-2024, 07:42 PM   #11
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Clark is barely a blip on the map.

As for Pistol Pete. He accomplished his scoring in 3 varsity years, not 4 like Clark.

3 point line came after Pistol Pete's college years. Clark has enjoyed 3 point opportunities.

Caitlin Clark
My dad idolized Press Maravich, Pete's dad, and raved about his set shot, having witnessed it lots of times in person. Even though the family migrated south well before Pete drew attention, southwestern Pa, specifically Aliquippa (where I was born and spent my formative years), lays a sort of claim to the Pistol.

I had developed an obsession with hoops by the time Pete rose to prominence and well-emulated his fervor for practice, but, of course, lacked his talent. I remember watching with an attitude akin to worship the "vitalis" spot that marked his main-stream emergence, and given Pete's tragic demise and vague air of star-crossed melancholy, I suspect lots of local guys born where I was when I was regard him as more than a man-I would even dare say, at the risk of sounding blasphemous, as an almost Christ-like figure.

I tried explaining recently to a much younger friend the significance Pete Marvich holds for me and certain old guys of my ilk, but mere words just don't capture it.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:02 PM   #12
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
My dad idolized Press Maravich, Pete's dad, and raved about his set shot, having witnessed it lots of times in person. Even though the family migrated south well before Pete drew attention, southwestern Pa, specifically Aliquippa (where I was born and spent my formative years), lays a sort of claim to the Pistol.

I had developed an obsession with hoops by the time Pete rose to prominence and well-emulated his fervor for practice, but, of course, lacked his talent. I remember watching with an attitude akin to worship the "vitalis" spot that marked his main-stream emergence, and given Pete's tragic demise and vague air of star-crossed melancholy, I suspect lots of local guys born where I was when I was regard him as more than a man-I would even dare say, at the risk of sounding blasphemous, as an almost Christ-like figure.

I tried explaining recently to a much younger friend the significance Pete Marvich holds for me and certain old guys of my ilk, but mere words just don't capture it.
He was certainly was a hardwood magician-like delight. Came so easy to him, despite the heart defect that led to an early demise. An NBA hall of famer.

I paused for a moment when you wrote, "by the time Pete rose", thinking of another in his prime at the time. Not to derail the thread, but he belongs in the baseball's hall of fame, too.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:20 PM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
He was certainly was a hardwood magician-like delight. Came so easy to him, despite the heart defect that led to an early demise. An NBA hall of famer.

I paused for a moment when you wrote, "by the time Pete rose", thinking of another in his prime at the time. Not to derail the thread, but he belongs in the baseball's hall of fame, too.
Could not agree more about Rose. It's the hall of FAME..not the hall of good conduct..