Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-13-2023, 08:56 PM   #1
tbwinner

Ability to Relax

For me, it's increasingly difficult to be able to relax. I think this is more and more common because of all the distractions in our life...phone, news, social media, etc.

What are some ways you unwind? Where things on your mind are wiped away for an hour or more?

I've been doing a lot of biking outside lately, maybe 100 miles a week -- not really relaxing what I'm looking for, but kinda in the sense that they are a distraction from everything else in life as I focus on beating my average speed and not get sideswiped by motorists.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #2
wisconsin

A firepit on the back patio in the evening.

I agree, it's difficult. Seem to be busy with dinky things throughout the day, never really just relaxing.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
thaskalos

Audiobooks. TJDave recommended a website to me where you pay $12.99 a month and get access to an unlimited supply of ebooks and audiobooks. I lay on my patio chair and listen to audiobooks of all kinds, and that pleases and relaxes me greatly. It’s highly educational too…I am learning a lot of things in my advanced age. Highly recommended! 👍👍
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

I play chess or solitaire against the PC.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Tor Ekman

Old time radio shows on Sirius XM when I’m having trouble falling off to sleep due to things on my mind.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 09:40 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Working out helps a lot.

But by far my best time is spent in a form or journaling.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 09:54 PM   #7
ElKabong

Spending time with the grand daughter.
Playing golf, knowing the perfect round doesn't exist
Working in the yard
Lifting weights
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 01:11 AM   #8
proximity

life as a (far) below par pa member!

defcon 5: read pa

on another window you struggle with such mundane tasks as ordering a pair of pants while here you marvel at the facility with which pacemen navigate such a diversity of topics ranging from politics and religion to bowling. you suck at life in comparison but nursing a coffee you're at complete peace!

defcon 4: listen to true crime podcasts.

you can't sleep and wouldn't think listening to true crime would help but yet it does. i prefer single narrator podcasts. trace evidence, trail went cold, and dna id are some of my favorites.

defcon 3: play youtube dj

you're experiencing an intermediate level of stress. listening to music always helps. i like to skip around on youtube!

defcon 2: hallmark christmas movies

you're beginning to question your masculinity here as your girlfriend is in the other room watching an expendables movie marathon while you're sulking on the couch and watching hallmark. you know it's a sin to be lusting after candace cameron bure (boxcar would be disappointed!) or the girl from wonder years but you're one step from the bottom now and knowing that the cute, curvy, and six figure earning 20 something's life is still incomplete without a small town loser like yourself who hasn't shaved in eight days gives you at least a momentary sense of hope!

defcon1: drive to racino

you're at the bottom now and there's only one place to go. if things are really bad you go in the morning to watch the horses gallop. the sun slowly rises, the birds chip, you breathe in the track air and you take yourself back to defcon 5.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 04:29 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have a 4k sq foot house. There are 8 guitars scattered throughout.

I find time to pick one up a couple times a day.

I love some of the suggestions in this thread. I sneak out onto the back patio with one of the dogs well after everybody in the neighborhood is in bed. In fact I just did that before reading this thread, it’s 3:19a. It’s 83 deg outside with 60% humidity. So this time of year I don’t stay too long. Plus the cicada are a little much. I have a national forest area backing up to my house and listening to wildlife is fun when it’s not too hot.

During the early morning hours and around dusk I sit on the patio and listen to the birds and use my “Merlin Bird” ID app by Cornell U. It runs on iPad/iPhone and can ID birds by their song. It’s fun.
This last week we added a “Whistling Duck” to our list.

Sometimes I add a Makers Mark or Woodford reserve element (just one) to the mix while closing out the night.

I have an Amazon Alexa/Echo out there that I listen to music with. Maybe I’ll try a book on tape or podcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
For me, it's increasingly difficult to be able to relax. I think this is more and more common because of all the distractions in our life...phone, news, social media, etc.

What are some ways you unwind? Where things on your mind are wiped away for an hour or more?

I've been doing a lot of biking outside lately, maybe 100 miles a week -- not really relaxing what I'm looking for, but kinda in the sense that they are a distraction from everything else in life as I focus on beating my average speed and not get sideswiped by motorists.

Last edited by JustRalph; 07-14-2023 at 04:32 AM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
jocko699
Resurrectionist

First Class flight to Vegas. 5 nights comped suite at the Palazzo, shows, alcohol, gambling, alcohol, people watching.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Last edited by Tom; 07-14-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #12
Cutter14

A mid day nap
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 11:12 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Sometimes video games...but currently playing Call of Duty and Fortnite and Mechabellum and World of Warships...so...probably not so much of a relaxer overall...lol
Old 07-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNSK...Jicm9vaw%3D%3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhg...Nob3JlIA%3D%3D

Last edited by Tom; 07-16-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM   #15
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post

Riding for me is important, not 300 miles a week like the old days but 200-250 seems to help.

But more importantly for me are the talks and meditations found on YouTube- Plum Village channel. I listen to a talk given by Thay every morning. I am always less anxious afterward.

Hope you find some relief.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply