Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Why no comment on the R. Baze Ride?

Just wondering why I haven't seen any comments on the ride on Monterey Jazz in the BigCap yesterday? I think it was a piss poor performance.

I expected better from the worlds leading winner? I also wondered why he wasn't riding the Hollendorfer horse?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Just wondering why I haven't seen any comments on the ride on Monterey Jazz in the BigCap yesterday?
Probably because it was what a lot of people expected to see. The horse pretty much did the same thing he did last time, albeit on a surface that was far less conducive to it.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
john del riccio

Quote:
Just wondering why I haven't seen any comments on the ride on Monterey Jazz in the BigCap yesterday? I think it was a piss poor performance.

I expected better from the worlds leading winner? I also wondered why he wasn't riding the Hollendorfer horse?
Ralph,

You may have answered your own question.....

Sometimes the worse thing you can do to a "balls to the wall" speed horse is rate him...

On a different note, that exacta came back a little light don't you think ?

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He isn't the world's leading rider.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
john del riccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
CJ,

Nice call on the winner, next time don't beat around the bush and just say who you like.

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He is the winningest jockey in the recorded history of thoroughbred racing, evAH! We won't meet the jock who wins every race he rides in our lifetime, so I'll settle for Russell, he's the best.

Murph
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
He is the winningest jockey in the recorded history of thoroughbred racing, evAH! We won't meet the jock who wins every race he rides in our lifetime, so I'll settle for Russell, he's the best.

Murph
No he isn't on both counts. But I also don't think he did anything wrong yesterday.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph

Murph
Do you honestly think I would write what I did without already knowing he isn't the jockey with the most wins?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=3192034

Last edited by cj; 03-02-2008 at 10:13 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:

Opening up like that obviously eliminated any chance the horse had of getting 10F. IMO, the perfect ride would have been to open 2-3 lengths and rate. I'd have to watch the replay again to determine how much of it was Baze's fault and how much was the horse's inability to relax, but personally I suspect he could have done a better job than that.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
ManeMediaMogul

Not Russell's Fault

Go back and watch the replay. Russell wasn't send him. He was trying to rate him. The horse is a run-off and tough to ride. His win was aided by a bias and he had virtually no shot on yesterday's track going a mile and a quarter.
ManeMediaMogul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by john del riccio

On a different note, that exacta came back a little light don't you think ?

John
I thought it came back light. I had it and was disappointed in the price. I was expecting over $100. It's possible that a lot of people played the race like I did. I left off Monterey Jazz (as the favorite) and spread around in exotics because I had no strong opinion on the win end. It looked to me like a lot of horses were geared up for their "A" game. Perhaps, many others thought so too.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
The Bit

Murph,

You said Baze with the winningest rider ever with some conviction there! Too bad he isn't.

I questioned the ride a bit. If he had gone the opening 1/4 in 22.4 or 23.xx and than the 2nd quarter in 46.2 I would have questioned it less than I do now. The fact that he got the horse to gear down through an opening 1/4 in 24.00 tells me the horse wasn't a run off and the 2nd quarter could have been controlled also. But I'm not jockey nor did I like 'Jazz.
The Bit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

Why no comment on the R. Baze Ride?

Cushion played to the Late Pace horses and Turf played to E/EP horses, pretty much all week. I don't think Russel did anything that anyone else wouldn't have done. The only other alternative would have been to just pull him up.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Probably because it was what a lot of people expected to see. The horse pretty much did the same thing he did last time, albeit on a surface that was far less conducive to it.
exactamundo
Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
toetoe
Veteran

That's one white jockey you don't have to worry about, ratingwise. Now, maybe the horse fooled him, but short of yanking hard enough to increase his sleeve length by two sizes (a recipe for failure also), what would we have him do ?
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: