Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #16
HEADSUP

HAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I bet Vic dropped in here and read this thread............... and threw another computer monitor out his window............

Steady Vic!!!

now this was a great post.........I have been LMAO for 10 minutes.....16 min a day would qualify as the 2nd best laugh on this thread
HEADSUP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
FlyinLate

I'm starting to get sick of these Trevor Denman sucks threads. He was a great race caller and still is. Human error is something that happens, and yes maybe his age is getting to him a bit but I would take his 8 great calls for his 1 bad race call.

Some people act like it is so crucial that if he calls the wrong winner then they lose the race. It doesn't change the outcome or your money. Yes it is frustrating, but deal with it. Would you rather have a monotone robot do it flawlessesly while putting the crowd to sleep?
FlyinLate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #18
Imriledup

Botched the Bing.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

The man is human! when he wakes up in the morning, his breath stinks just like everyone else's! he makes mistakes. No one is prefect!!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #20
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
The man is human! when he wakes up in the morning, his breath stinks just like everyone else's! he makes mistakes. No one is prefect!!
One mistake once in a while, forgivable. Four mistakes in a 6 furlong race with a 5 horse field? I don't know about that.

He's getting paid big bucks to get it right.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
smartybadger

After spending a weekend at Monmouth, and after listening to some of his calls in the big races at Gulfstream, I am convinced that Larry Collmus is the most underappreciated announcer (and maybe the best) in the sport. He is just flawless, and is in the midst of his prime. Also, speaking of showing up early, he does a handicapping show with Thomas Cassidy about an hour before the races begin, so you know he prepares as well as anyone.
smartybadger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

Bobby Flay

Let's see how Bobby Flay does today at Toga'
Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
delayjf

Quote:
He probably needed to knock the rust off, having not called a live race since Santa Anita.
I think the above is his biggest problem - he takes a vacation between SA and DMR. Recall he was roundly critized after he called the Breeders Cup which he did after a layoff following the DMR meet. Agree about Larry Colmus and I would throw Vic into that mix as well, and for a truely unique call listen to Michael Wrona - he can really bust my onions some times.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #24
andymays
Veteran

Trevor hasn't had any game for years!

We need trakus (gps computer generated race calling) for accuracy!

Use Vic Stauffers voice of course!

Last edited by andymays; 08-09-2009 at 12:56 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartybadger
After spending a weekend at Monmouth, and after listening to some of his calls in the big races at Gulfstream, I am convinced that Larry Collmus is the most underappreciated announcer (and maybe the best) in the sport. He is just flawless, and is in the midst of his prime. Also, speaking of showing up early, he does a handicapping show with Thomas Cassidy about an hour before the races begin, so you know he prepares as well as anyone.
Larry Collmus should be the announcer at churchill now!I like Durkin a little better but i am an native long islander so i am partial of course...even he is getting older and making more mistakes than ever!No reason to can a legend!Same as Denman.It's just not that important in my estimation.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
macguy

I always thought that race calling didn't look like it was all that hard.
Turns out, it's the majority of good race callers that make the job look very easy.

I tried it myself with replays on the computer with the sound off, it's a hell of a lot tougher than it looks. Remembering what silks go with what horses was the hardest part for me.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
BUD

We should get the info of the fella in the gate with the horse--Say loe G 1 in Gate 1 he stays there for each race same with every gate worker--

Then when our life is so effen smooth we have more fodder to bitch about--The effen gate guy in 4 he sucks- 2 well meant horsed had terrible starts and I Know its his fault---

Perfect fodder to add more bull Sh1t to our lives and more people to throw under the bus and when they get run over we can tell them how much they suck--

perfect--See I lied I only got into the horse race game to bitch about that--The wife and kids? Bitchin' about them got stale..

FTW!!
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
elhelmete

I felt lucky to have Collmus at Suffolk (my former home track) for a while, he is certainly one of the best.

I visited Trevor up in his perch at SA last spring and his preparation is extensive. I was particularly surprised/impressed by his collection of dictionaries, which he says he uses not just for pronounciation, but also to try and figure out the meaning behind some names.

Can't say that I know what's behind his sometime propensity to miscall a race, though.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
A good announcer arrives at least an hour before the first race. Most arrive even sooner.

They handicap the card and make notes on who will take the lead, how they think a race will be run, etc.

Around 30 minutes to first post they make note of all the changes and announce them to the crowd. Then they get started on the first race. From about 25 minutes to post to the post parade they practice the call, mark up the program with different colors. Memorize the names and the different silks. Red hat, blue silks, blue hat, red silks, etc.

In between, they have constant interruptions with changes, corrections, stewards asking questions, management calling, promotions needing to be announced, etc.

When the horses hit the track, they start "eyeballing" them. #1 has red and white stripes, #2 has a blue cross. Remember, you cannot call numbers, you need to call names. Relating #1 to Joe's Barbecue and #2 to Joe's Tire Shop is not easy.

As the horses go in the gate they put their "game face" on and practice for the last time. They call the race, announce the prices, and go back on the same schedule for the next race.
Having been in the booth many a race day with a few different announcers, I will say it is very rare for them to spend more than a few minutes on the post parade and the warm up memorizing the horses.

I'm not knocking the job, it is tough for sure and a lot goes on behind the scenes as you mention. But once these guys have some experience, memorizing the horses isn't very hard for them. I would say of the 25 minutes or so between races, maybe five is spent on that part.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
BUD

Wow when I feel like dung Almost always.....I can't write for Nuthin'

I just tried to read some of my post' wholee $t
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply