Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #31
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
it will destroy the handle. They should run this card at night
They use to run it sundays
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_question View Post
Mr. Money won as much much the best. A facile victory. He acted like he wanted to go around again. This is a seriously good colt.
Much the best..he jogged
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #33
GMB@BP

Always hard to judge a colt when he is ducking the better horses in his division, are they going in the Travers in 3 weeks?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #34
mountainman

I'm very intrigued by such brilliant speed proving so tractable. That's as far as I'll go until he faces better stock. Over-hype is distasteful to me. I can be enthused without compromising professional standards or objectivity.

It was an exciting performance, for sure. But a performance to, as always, be kept in perspective.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #35
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Always hard to judge a colt when he is ducking the better horses in his division, are they going in the Travers in 3 weeks?
managed quite well in my opinion:
Career 10 5 2 0 lifetime earnings $1,074,220
earnings per start=$107,422
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #36
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I'm very intrigued by such brilliant speed proving so tractable. That's as far as I'll go until he faces better stock. Over-hype is distasteful to me. I can be enthused without compromising professional standards or objectivity.

It was an exciting performance, for sure. But a performance to, as always, be kept in perspective.
why so many scratches yesterday?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #37
GMB@BP

Quote:
managed quite well in my opinion:
Career 10 5 2 0 lifetime earnings $1,074,220
earnings per start=$107,422
I didnt comment on his management by the human connections I was questioning his place within the division based on the other equine athletes he has faced.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #38
mountainman

Quote:
why so many scratches yesterday?
Several reasons. For one, many owners and trainers STILL insist on equating mnr with a walk-over. You wouldn't BELIEVE how bummed and pouty lots of them get when they first realize how deep and classy the races they pointed for have come up. I honestly think some of them expected to come here and face local maidens.

Also, other tracks make a POINT of offering competing options. Options CAREFULLY tailored to wreak havoc on our big day. And BELIEVE me, this can get personal and is sometimes done partly for spite.

And finally, good horses are more fragile than many fans realize. It should have been apparent yesterday from my commentary that a few key contenders, even outright chalks, came in as damaged goods and performed accordingly. KUDOS to the connections that chose to scratch instead of trying to squeeze one more performance from a sore or over-the-top horse. Mountaineer is not alone in this regard. It happens everywhere.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Pretty sure Pennsylvania Derby is the next step.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #40
Afleet

Quote:
I didnt comment on his management by the human connections I was questioning his place within the division based on the other equine athletes he has faced.
I meant to post that as a general reply-my bad-not at you
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #41
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Several reasons. For one, many owners and trainers STILL insist on equating mnr with a walk-over. You wouldn't BELIEVE how bummed and pouty lots of them get when they first realize how deep and classy the races they pointed for have come up. I honestly think some of them expected to come here and face local maidens.

Also, other tracks make a POINT of offering competing options. Options CAREFULLY tailored to wreak havoc on our big day. And BELIEVE me, this can get personal and is sometimes done partly for spite.

And finally, good horses are more fragile than many fans realize. It should have been apparent yesterday from my commentary that a few key contenders, even outright chalks, came in as damaged goods and performed accordingly. KUDOS to the connections that chose to scratch instead of trying to squeeze one more performance from a sore or over-the-top horse. Mountaineer is not alone in this regard. It happens everywhere.
thanks for the explanation. There are so many good 6F horses, all the scratches there surprised me
Old 08-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #42
classhandicapper

I’ve been a Mr. Money fan since he first broke out this year. He may not be at the top of the division, but imo he’s been underrated by some figure makers. He’s very good and deserves a shot at the big time.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #43
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I’ve been a Mr. Money fan since he first broke out this year. He may not be at the top of the division, but imo he’s been underrated by some figure makers. He’s very good and deserves a shot at the big time.
Curious, what figures makers have him underrated, and how are they underrating him? Numerically?
Old 08-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #44
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Curious, what figures makers have him underrated, and how are they underrating him? Numerically?
IMO, Beyer originally had his Pat Day Mile much too slow. He bumped it up after a few horses came out of the race faster, but I’m still not sure he bumped it up enough. He seems to break out more races these days than he used to. There are upsides to that, but the downside is that broken out figures feed subsequent analysis. If you get a few wrong you risk passing that forward and/or then have to keep going back to tweak old ones.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-04-2019 at 02:16 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO, Beyer originally had his Pat Day Mile much too slow. He bumped it up after a few horses came out of the race faster, but I’m still not sure he bumped it up enough. He seems to break out more races these days than he used to. There are upsides to that, but the downside is that broken out figures feed subsequent analysis. If you get a few wrong you risk passing that forward and/or then have to keep going back to tweak old ones.
So figure maker, no s?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: