Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Belmont won't, so whenever the Preakness is, it won't move either.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #17
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I believe Stronarch has the rights to Preakness. He could take it wherever he wanted. Just like when Oak Tree left santa anita they took all the race names.
State law says that the Preakness can only be run in at another track in Maryland (i.e. Laurel) "in the event of an emergency or disaster".

If it is moved out of state, it basically kills the Maryland Jockey Club (all race dates would be revoked). And if the rights to the Preakness are offered for sale, Maryland has the right to match any offer in order to keep the race at Pimlico.

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...ection-11-520/

Although if Frank just decides to move it to Laurel and say "do something about it", then the question is how much is this law really worth. Would the state still revoke race dates, killing the Preakness and cutting off their nose to spite their face? Doubtful. Most likely that first part of the law is changed to allow the race to run at Laurel.

But if (or when) Stronach does move it, it'll be to another Stronach track, and that track will be Laurel. No way they'd let it go to somewhere like Keeneland, no matter what the price is. I'd also think that CDI would balk at another Triple Crown race coming into their backyard.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #18
tanner12oz

as bad as it is i think there is 0% chance anything changes
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #19
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just got really interested in the BE Susan

Red Ruby should take this one.
That was an Excellent call sir...to bad odds were cut in half...
Old 05-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
Denny
Veteran

Could this turn into the worst Preakness Day ever???

Attendance, handle, coverage, ratings???

[In the big race - taking Good Magic to upset justify by changing tactics - instead of chasing, think the only thing to do is go right to the top and make them chase. He has position inside his rival if he chooses to try it. (Or do the complete opposite if the track is unfriendly to speed.)]

Last edited by Denny; 05-19-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
State law says that the Preakness can only be run in at another track in Maryland (i.e. Laurel) "in the event of an emergency or disaster".

If it is moved out of state, it basically kills the Maryland Jockey Club (all race dates would be revoked). And if the rights to the Preakness are offered for sale, Maryland has the right to match any offer in order to keep the race at Pimlico.

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...ection-11-520/

Although if Frank just decides to move it to Laurel and say "do something about it", then the question is how much is this law really worth. Would the state still revoke race dates, killing the Preakness and cutting off their nose to spite their face? Doubtful. Most likely that first part of the law is changed to allow the race to run at Laurel.

But if (or when) Stronach does move it, it'll be to another Stronach track, and that track will be Laurel. No way they'd let it go to somewhere like Keeneland, no matter what the price is. I'd also think that CDI would balk at another Triple Crown race coming into their backyard.
Thanks for the information.

I agree, this is the only thing probably keeping the tracks alive so it makes no sense to move it out of state.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Thanks for the information.

I agree, this is the only thing probably keeping the tracks alive so it makes no sense to move it out of state.
It's the only thing of value they have, so they'll never give it away.

The rest of it, "worst Preakness" and all that, is in the eye of the beholder. This one isn't any different than any other recent Preakness with a heavy favorite.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
When Secretariat ran you had this vision that the owner was this sweet charm lady and it was an amazing story.. Yes I know she was rich, but it wasn't talked about like today's rich owners are.
I wasn't aware that Penny Chenery was wealthy. She had to syndicate Secretariat for about $6 million in early 1973 so she could pay the Christopher Chenery's estate taxes. There's no telling what would have happened to her if that horse hadn't existed. I doubt she was ever in danger of missing her next meal, but my understanding was that her net worth circa 2010 was about $10 million, which is a nice piece of change, but hardly rich by today's standards.

You're correct about her being a sweet and charming person though. She was the epitome of class.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #24
papillon

I don't think it's rich people per se

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
How come it has become so hard to get excited about the Preakness and Triple Crown?

Like let me compare during Smarty Jones era. People were having cookouts, bbqs, etc and getting hyped up for later that day when Smarty Jones ran. The atmosphere was electric when he won and excitement awaited for the Belmont.

Now you have Justify. Nobody cares, nobody is talking about it. Hell majority of people are rooting against Justify just for the notion, "I hate seeing rich people win"

I understand that 100% of your top horses are owned by rich people and/or groups. It just cycles through social media of the types of people are nowdays. You didn't have social media during Smarty Jones era, and were rooting for the horse and had no care about who the owner was.

I know one of you guys will bring up Preakness had the largest attendance last year. But its deflated for many reasons...

1.) The track paid millions in dollars to have Top Artist come in for the concerts. 40 to 50% of the crowd came for this

2.) Beer... I think its what $20 or $30 to drink all you want?

If there was no concerts you'd have seen one of the lowest attendance Preakness races. Just look at the tv ratings of last years Preakness.

To end this... Its hard to root for a horse with a billionaire owner who is a royal piece of shit at the end of the day. Same goes for American Pharoah.

When Secretariat ran you had this vision that the owner was this sweet charm lady and it was an amazing story.. Yes I know she was rich, but it wasn't talked about like today's rich owners are.

Today's Triple Crown races have lost the closeness you felt to the people around the horse. You see it as corporate enterprises essentially.
I doubt any casual derby/TC race watcher has any idea who owns Justify or who owned American Pharoah etc.

Horses with blue-collar or underdog connections/chances tend to be the ones that garner a lot of fans because their backstories are marketed, and Americans like our MTBs and Cinderella stories in all areas, which is why those backstories are marketed. It's emotionally uplifting for little guys to root for little guys.

Rooting for the number one seed with all the advantages doesn't have that emotional pay off, it is straight up winning team bandwaggoning, which is always a shallower source of affection. It's about relateability. Most people don't hate rich people per se, they hate certain categories of rich people.

It would probably have been better for the sport had Chrome won the TC because of his giagantic, casual fan base, who still follow him, than it was for American Pharoah, who for most Americans was just an interesting blip, not something they were emotionally invested in. The country would have gone nuts if MTB had won it (that little engine that could had a great TC considering).

This year no one cares because it isn't being sold to them as anything but American Pharoah Redux; it's boring them, because it is boring. Plus, the draw of the TC was the same as when a gambler keeps winning and draws a crowd, but once the gambler loses, the spell is broken. Once the TC was won, the "oohh aahhh" factor disappeared.

The weather isn't helping either. Most people don't like watching horses run around in rain, fog, and mud.

Last edited by papillon; 05-19-2018 at 04:54 PM.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
Denny
Veteran

No one is going to become a horse racing fan watching today.
As many scratches as runners. One turf race.
Miserable looking track.

Can't believe they got the 2 million for the P4. Why even bet?

I'll only bet the Preakness.

Good Magic
Justify
Sporting Chance
Old 05-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #26
djm1959

Cool

well being that i grew up 5 miles from belmont , the belmont is by far the top triple crown race,,,just saying
djm1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I miss the hats.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
Denny
Veteran

Now FOG.

Can things get any worse?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Now FOG.

Can things get any worse?

Rain then fog, maybe they'll move the Belmont to Kilauea and then volcano! That would be worse.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #30
Denny
Veteran

People might tune in for a volcano.

This was the worse for TV.

(At least I had the strategy right for Brown and GM to try to win it. No shame in that.)

Nice call by Andy Serling BTW. Though he may have screwed up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: