Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
alhattab

2013 Breeders Cup

http://www.paulickreport.com:8080/in...-breeders-cup/

This is a little hard to believe. As a local I had a great time at the 2007 BC (was there for the full meet and every morning), and I thought Mth did a good job given the weather, but if true the fact that Mth is the favorite to host another BC is an indication that the BC is in decline. It is not an ideal venue in any respect. Distance from major hotels/urban area, absence of chutes to accomodate BC Dirt Mile or F&M sprint, bullring grass course, potential for nasty weather in a venue built for summer. It is distinctly AAA compared to the major league venues. The fact that nobody else is stepping up spells trouble. Not to mention that current management is going through growing pains (I haven't been there much this year but from what I hear the customer service/experience is not up to snuff, even for a racetrack).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

As a bettor, it is a great day(s) of racing. As a fan, I hate the Breeder's Cup. I'll be happy as a lark if it disappears.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
As a bettor, it is a great day(s) of racing. As a fan, I hate the Breeder's Cup. I'll be happy as a lark if it disappears.
Huh????????????
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Huh????????????
It isn't that hard to understand. It has diminished tons of other formerly great races. Now, everybody points to the Triple Crown and the BC, everything else is a prep. I'd rather have races throughout the year have more importance and sacrifice one good day than what we have now.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It isn't that hard to understand. It has diminished tons of other formerly great races. Now, everybody points to the Triple Crown and the BC, everything else is a prep. I'd rather have races throughout the year have more importance and sacrifice one good day than what we have now.
I agree. I think there is more than 50/50 chance that BC will see its demise within a few years, replaced by a series of big days over the fall that will decide seasonal championships over several big days in Sept-Nov at several venues.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I think they ought to run the BC at Penn National and show the world how far US racing has sunk.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Cardus
Veteran

On Breeders' Cup day(s), there are races that are not Breeders' Cup races which precede the Breeders' Cup stakes.

The horses in those races will be able to run on all legal race-day medication in the jurisdiction hosting the event, right?

If that is correct, then it is incredibly ironic, isn't it?
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

If the BrCup is no more than we will rarely see east meet west during the fall.
No one wants to cross the Rockies
Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No BC would mean a return, hopefully to the good old Fall Championship.
Belmont could host a day of racing that would accommodate all the various divisions on top notch tracks, dirt and grass.

Unless the New NYRA Board of the Clueless put in polytrack.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
gm10

This would be great news. I thought that Monmouth was massively unlucky in 2007. They tried really really hard to make it a good event, but the weather was cruel.

Agreed with the downward trend of the BC, though. There is a lot of competition from overseas festivals these days, it won't be easy to survive in its current form.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I don't blame the BC for that. I blame the owners and trainers who are scared to run more than 5 times a year.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
MaTH716

You would think that Monmouth is probably going to get it. I'm guessing NYRA is being black balled for some reason (maybe all the state intervention and recent turnover in management). But how they aren't in the rotation some how is beyond me. Now Churchill is probably in the penalty box for the lack of respect that they are giving the BC Juvy in their wonderful new points system. Who else does that leave on the East?

I thought Monmouth did a good job in 2007, despite the rain. But truthfully I think it's a poor venue logistically for the event. This was my opinion the first time around and it hasn't changed. There is basically one road in and out of the place and it gets congested on normal race days. Traffic in 2007 was ridiculous and the crowds were much smaller due to the weather. There is also a real lack of lodging in the immediate vicinity. I'm honestly not sure how the venue will handle the real attendence (if weather isn't an issue). It did seem well equipped to handle it in 2007, but we won't know until race day. Finally and it's not an issue to me, but there's the BC Dirt mile, run at a mile and seventy yards and the track not being able to run the sprint at seven furlongs. I'm sure some people will take issue with that. But then again some people take issue with everything.

I just feel like if the BC is coming to the area, Belmont just makes so much more sense than Monmouth. And for the record, I live 20 minutes away from Monmouth.
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
1st time lasix

As both a player and fan I look forward to the Breeder's Cup weekend every year. In fact...I have traveled and spent the money to attend three of them so far in various cities far from my home. Always in attendence at a simulcast outlet for both days if i am not there in person. I can't think of ANY single day anywhere I would rather be in attendence at the track. Except for maybe the first race or so before noon.....EVERY race at The Cup is a "big" race. Crowning champions and rewarding the connections in every division is one of the best things racing has ever done. My goodness....would much rather have a box at Breeder's Cup weekend than nearly ANY other sporting event and I have been to the Master's, Final Four, Daytona, NCAA bowl Games, 7th game Stanley Cup, Super Bowl and World Series. [never been to Olympic games however] To say they should eliminate it..... is pure negative rubbish. I am all for truly moving it around .....but like the Superbowl...it probalbly needs to be in Southern half of US if held in November in my opinion.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I don't blame the BC for that. I blame the owners and trainers who are scared to run more than 5 times a year.
It is a combination, and you can add in Eclipse voters too. Honestly, I don't care who is to blame. I just hope it changes. Look at how great most of the 3yo races are filled. The Haskell is looking fabulous. There is no BC race for straight 3yos, so the horsemen know they have to win the best races in the division.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
This would be great news. I thought that Monmouth was massively unlucky in 2007. They tried really really hard to make it a good event, but the weather was cruel.

Agreed with the downward trend of the BC, though. There is a lot of competition from overseas festivals these days, it won't be easy to survive in its current form.
I don't anything overseas as competition - how many of our good horses are going there, other than Dubai, and those sure aren't our best anymore.