Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
BetHorses!

Anyone know any Malpractice Attorney's

in New York City area who would sue another attorney/firm?
Don't want to get into all the details publicly but its over my divorce agreement and yet another decision that went against me in family court that impacts me financially

You can PM me if u need more info...thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetHorses!
in New York City area who would sue another attorney/firm?
Don't want to get into all the details publicly but its over my divorce agreement and yet another decision that went against me in family court that impacts me financially

You can PM me if u need more info...thanks
If the lawyer that you hire is incompetent too you would have to sue him with a third.
Don't let your anger confuse your judgement and don't confuse weak lawyering with malpractice.
Hiring lawyers even on a retainer basis can be pretty expensive stuff.
I don't know your circumstances, but most people would be better to get as far away from incurring more legal costs than they have already.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
BetHorses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
If the lawyer that you hire is incompetent too you would have to sue him with a third.
Don't let your anger confuse your judgement and don't confuse weak lawyering with malpractice.
Hiring lawyers even on a retainer basis can be pretty expensive stuff.
I don't know your circumstances, but most people would be better to get as far away from incurring more legal costs than they have already.

No more retainers for me. I would hire on contingency and give 50%. Funny thing is, a lawyer friend told me its open and shut based on one clause that was not in my agreement but he would never take case. Now I have three mistakes and each one can be measured financially

Lawyer = license to steal
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Greyfox

Quote:
No more retainers for me. I would hire on contingency and give 50%. Funny thing is, a lawyer friend told me its open and shut based on one clause that was not in my agreement but he would never take case. Now I have three mistakes and each one can be measured financially

Lawyer = license to steal
You might want to read the article listed at the link below. It states:

"You should also know that very few lawyers (less than 50%) are protected by malpractice insurance. Most attorneys can't afford to pay large settlements when they are sued by their clients, which means you won't be able to collect on a judgment anyway."
http://voices.yahoo.com/can-sue-lawy...ce-237541.html

Also, to prove "malpractice," likely will mean bringing in "expert witnesses."
In your instance that would mean Law Professors, other experts in Divorce etc. They would charge fees (and expenses), whether or not you won the case or not. Those costs would come back to YOU, not the legal beagle that you hired on a commission. And what about costs of the Courts??

It appears to me that suing a Lawyer for malpractice is a difficult pursuit.
If you wanted to hire another Lawyer for an appeal of the judgements against you, that might be a course to consider.

But still, and not knowing your circumstances, I'd say cut your losses now and move on in life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
LottaKash

Quote:
but its over my divorce agreement and yet another decision that went against me in family court that impacts me financially
BetHorses, I feel for you....Back in the day, my lawyer never showed up in court for my divorce, and I was never informed about the court date either.......

Talk about crucifixions.. ....haha....

best,
Old 06-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
BetHorses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
But still, and not knowing your circumstances, I'd say cut your losses now and move on in life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I understand 100% what you are saying

I'll disclose one thing w made up numbers

Lets say it was a $15,000 retainer

No tax code in agreement. Agreement silent on taxes. He assured me that since I pay more that 50% of the support, I claim child as a dependant.

We both claim the child. Did you make a mistake letters from IRS...IRS rules state custodial parent gets the deduction...I owe $5,000

What would you do based solely on that and I do have two others
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
BetHorses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
BetHorses, I feel for you....Back in the day, my lawyer never showed up in court for my divorce, and I was never informed about the court date either.......

Talk about crucifixions.. ....haha....

best,

Thank you and so sorry. My second lawyer didn't show. It took a year but got 75% of my retainer was finally refunded.

I call him the reverse bank. He borrows your money, does nothing and when he is forced to pay it back, he is entitled to whatever was billed including the $80 for the two sentence fax he requested and reviewed. So essentially he borrows and pays back less..
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

I would contact another lawyer and stop seeking legal advice on a message board.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
lamboguy

go to the bar of overseer's they will get it done for you
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
DRIVEWAY

Quote:
I understand 100% what you are saying

I'll disclose one thing w made up numbers

Lets say it was a $15,000 retainer

No tax code in agreement. Agreement silent on taxes. He assured me that since I pay more that 50% of the support, I claim child as a dependant.

We both claim the child. Did you make a mistake letters from IRS...IRS rules state custodial parent gets the deduction...I owe $5,000

If this was the first year you and your "X" filed as divorced, it was probably a partial year. Consequently, all is not lost. Definitely refile the first full year of child support. The IRS may see it differently.

Considerations:
Does the "X" qualify for child tax credit?
If so then let it go. She probably needs the money and is less likely to come after you for increased child support.

If you can have an impartial third-part tax preparer review both of your tax returns with and without child deductions and head of household, you will both better understand the tax implications. Maybe you can cut a deal where it's a win-win outcome.

Define your loss. If it's 5k per year, then how many years. Fifteen years is 75K. What is the chance that you'll recover that money after new legal fees from your divorce attorney. There's a point where doing nothing is the smart choice. Plus, do you really want a lawyer running your life and an "X" and her lawyer suing you for legal fees etc.

Focus on your child and don't start picking him/her up in a new porsche etc.

There are no winners in divorce when children are involved. Love your offspring and get on with your life.

Good Luck
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
I would contact another lawyer and stop seeking legal advice on a message board.
Yeah and besides, would be difficult to sue anyone here.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
JustCoolGene

The best way to deal with a bad attorney is to complain to the state Bar Association. You would not believe how fast attorneys respond to your complaint. It is free, very effective, and you don't need another lawyer.

Gene

Last edited by JustCoolGene; 06-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
JustCoolGene is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene

The best way to deal with a bad attorney is to complain to the state Bar Association.

Saved me the trouble of typing this!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
BetHorses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCoolGene
The best way to deal with a bad attorney is to complain to the state Bar Association. You would not believe how fast attorneys respond to your complaint. It is free, very effective, and you don't need another lawyer.

Gene

They give confidential slaps on the wrist...its ridiculous. And they cannot get you money back. If you are about to hire an attorney and want to see if he has a disciplinary record, guess what you can't see it
Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Greyfox

Quote:
They give confidential slaps on the wrist...its ridiculous.
On the mark in most instances.

But you started this thread.
Aren't you the guy behind the avatar that wants to go down this track?? G"Luck.

Last edited by Greyfox; 06-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.