Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
ljb
Veteran

McSame continues to abandon Veterans

John McCain said " At a time when the United States military is fighting in two wars and we’re finally, finally beginning the long overdue and very urgent necessity of increasing the size of the army and marine corps, one study estimates that Senator Webb’s bill will reduce retention rates by 16%."

Uh no. John McCain is being dishonest (*gasp!*) by selectively citing a CBO study on the impact of the bill. McCain said the study concluded the bill would reduce retention by 16 percent. What McCain failed to mention, however, is that same study determined that the Webb bill would offset that loss by boosting recruitment by 16 percent.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
delayjf

Well, the Pentagon agrees with McCain, are they anti-soldier as well?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
riskman

The article below says it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/op...on&oref=slogin
Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
jballscalls

what are the two wars?? iraq and ??
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
King Ritchie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
John McCain said " At a time when the United States military is fighting in two wars and we’re finally, finally beginning the long overdue and very urgent necessity of increasing the size of the army and marine corps, one study estimates that Senator Webb’s bill will reduce retention rates by 16%."

Uh no. John McCain is being dishonest (*gasp!*) by selectively citing a CBO study on the impact of the bill. McCain said the study concluded the bill would reduce retention by 16 percent. What McCain failed to mention, however, is that same study determined that the Webb bill would offset that loss by boosting recruitment by 16 percent.
Typical Liberal lies and distortion of the facts. How can libs live with themselves knowing that they live their lifes like this?
King Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ritchie
Typical Liberal lies and distortion of the facts. How can libs live with themselves knowing that they live their lifes like this?
Rally's veterans, activists seek to avoid glorifying war

Hold different Memorial Day observance

By Scott Allen / Boston Globe

The night before he hanged himself with a garden hose in the basement of his parents' home, Jeffrey Lucey asked if he could sit on his father's lap. For the better part of an hour, Kevin Lucey quietly held his 23-year-old son, an Iraq war veteran who had returned depressed and deeply ashamed of what he said was his brutal treatment of Iraqis. When Kevin Lucey discovered his son's body the next night, there was a suicide note: "I am totally embarrassed at the man I have become and I hope you can remember me only as a child."

Jeffrey Lucey was not counted among the 4,082 American troops who have died in the war so far, but, yesterday, veterans groups and peace activitists remembered the Marine Reserve lance corporal along with tens of thousands of others whose deaths are attributable to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"This government has steeped all of us . . . in a shroud of shame," said Kevin Lucey of Belchertown, who has filed a federal lawsuit against the Veterans Affairs secretary for failing to get his son the help that could have prevented his 2004 suicide. "Please help us stop it now."
Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
ljb
Veteran

Ritchie,
Please re-read my note. It is a quote from McSame. Not liberal lies, repug lies. Don't bother thanking me for correcting your error, I am a liberal and like to help people.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
lsbets

ljb - you commenting on anything relating to the support of vets or servicemembers after your history regarding the same, is the height of gall. You sir have no standing to speak on such issues and rightly deserve any derision you receive.

And BTW, I like Webb's bill and think McCain is making a mistake not supporting it.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
ljb - you commenting on anything relating to the support of vets or servicemembers after your history regarding the same, is the height of gall. You sir have no standing to speak on such issues and rightly deserve any derision you receive.
You have no basis other then your opinion to make this statement. But you do have a right to posting your opinion.
Quote:

And BTW, I like Webb's bill and think McCain is making a mistake not supporting it.
I agree
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
delayjf

Quote:
Isbet, is there a reserve commitment attached to the scholarship?

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a free colledge education, but I can also see why the benefit should be tiered to time served - with exemptions for combat duty or a injury suffered will in the line of duty etc.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I guess all those criticizing McCain (including the mighty Obama), when it comes to anything military-related can be rightly called CHICKEN-HAWK, just like they called those who criticized Kerry in 2004.

Make sure ya'll get as much as you gave four years ago.

Don't let any of these CHICKEN HAWKS get away with criticizing McCain over ANYTHING related to the military or military service.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
wonatthewire1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I guess all those criticizing McCain (including the mighty Obama), when it comes to anything military-related can be rightly called CHICKEN-HAWK, just like they called those who criticized Kerry in 2004.

Make sure ya'll get as much as you gave four years ago.

Don't let any of these CHICKEN HAWKS get away with criticizing McCain over ANYTHING related to the military or military service.

Wow - Barry got out of serving in a war; out of serving in the military during a time of war? I'll have to look that one up somewhere...

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't a "chicken hawk" someone who wants everyone else to go to the war zone, but they get out of it with family connections, deferments, anal cysts (medical), and/or going to Russia as a college student and staying in the UK at Oxford?

I think that commie Clinton did the last one of that group - maybe someone can remember back to that time and pick up a couple of other names of chicken hawks.

Perhaps someone in the group could assist?

Thanks in advance!

Won
wonatthewire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
wonatthewire1

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
Isbet, is there a reserve commitment attached to the scholarship?

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a free colledge education, but I can also see why the benefit should be tiered to time served - with exemptions for combat duty or a injury suffered will in the line of duty etc.
The bill does look good - but your point about having something tied to it makes a lot of sense. It might work well with a percentage of the cost covered based on time of service or future commitments. I think that is what McCain is alluding to from what I heard this morning in a speech on Bloomberg. He thinks that a commitment to the military is important
wonatthewire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
ddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
what are the two wars?? iraq and ??

afghanistan.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 AM   #15
ddog

i think it boils down to the benefit being used after one tour.
So, anyone that serves 1 or 6 tours gets the same benefit.

I think it is a good investment.

The other issue I guess would be the rate of people leaving to take advantage of it as oppossed to how many could be replaced and how quickly.

This one part is a tough call, but I think I have to side with Mccain so far.
We need the bodies and can't afford a mass exodus yet if that's what they think is going to happen.

I need to look at the Webb bill closer though.

avoiding a draft is one thing, not volunterring is another.

Nobody has to sign up , right?

if not true, I am afraid we may have a lot of chicken-hawk-posters in this here roost????

I know the Marines recently were running 142percent of goal for signups.

Last edited by ddog; 05-28-2008 at 02:14 AM.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply