Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #76
MickJ26

Rosario is a terrific rider. He's already a big fish in a big pond. If you're gonna take a shot at climbing Mount Everest, might as well do it when you're young. Like the song goes, "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere".
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #77
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJ26
Rosario is a terrific rider. He's already a big fish in a big pond. If you're gonna take a shot at climbing Mount Everest, might as well do it when you're young. Like the song goes, "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere".
It's even better than that. If he doesn't make it he can go back to his pond and It's magic waters.

Sharp post Mick.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #78
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Much better I think not!!

I watch tons of replays daily, and still play both harness and thoroughbreds 3 to 5 day a week and in my 50+ years of handicapping which started at Roosevelt Raceway in the fall of 1957 and having owned both many thoroughbreds & standardbreds throughout my many years.

I personally think in harness racing the Driver is about 20%, the Trip 20%, and the Horse is about 60%.

In thoroughbred racing Jockey about 5%, the Trip 15%, and the Horse 80%.

Either Dominguez or Rosario will get the job done when on the best Horse, that is the 80% that I spoke about above.

The agent is the key ingredient when it comes down to the elite jockeys and both Dominguez and Rosario have great and proven agents.

There are very little differences when you are comparing these elite jockeys.

This is just my opinion so don't rip me apart for giving an opinion.

________
David-LV

BTW:

Famous saying from the great Eddie Arcaro for those that remember him when asked the question.

"Does the jockey mean anything in a race?"

Arcaro answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

I posted Eddie Arcaro's Record below for those that are interested:

Career wins 4,779 Major racing wins, honuors and awards Major racing wins

Jockey Club Gold Cup (10)
Wood Memorial Stakes (9)
Suburban Handicap (8)
Kentucky Oaks (4)
Kentucky Derby (5)
Preakness Stakes (6)
Belmont Stakes (6)
Racing awards
United States Triple Crown (1941 & 1948)
United States Champion Jockey by earnings
(1940, 1942, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1958)
George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award (1953)
Big Sport of Turfdom Award (1974)
Honours United States Racing Hall of Fame (1958)
Eddie Arcaro Stakes at Hialeah Park

Significant horses Whirlaway, Citation, Ponder, Hoop Jr., Challedon, Kelso, Nashua, Mark-Ye-Well, Hill Prince, Bold Ruler, Sword Dancer, Real Delight
Don't rip you because you have given an "opinion"?

At least you're not the only person here who thinks his -- or her's -- "opinions" should be off limits.

Last edited by Cardus; 06-21-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #79
Shelby

It's none of our damn business where Joel wants to ride.

Best of luck to him where ever he lands.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #80
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby

Of course it's our damn business. He's a superstar and we're great fans of him, his potential competition and his sport.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #81
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Of course it's our damn business. He's a superstar and we're great fans of him, his potential competition and his sport.
Vic,

I greatly admire your race calling--I listened to you today--as I do every time you call, but, it is not our business.

It's his choice where he wants to ride and when. Just because we are fans does not give us the right to think that our opinions matter when it comes to his career.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #82
iceknight

Quote:

Actually it is OUR business where he rides. Whether we use it to our favor or not is our skill/luck. He does affect races to some extent. He did ride CC quite well in the Preakness etc. So yes, he ends up affecting the odds.

But i am not one to question his decision. Good luck to him and all other jockeys for safe rides day in and day out.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #83
v j stauffer

Quote:
Vic,

I greatly admire your race calling--I listened to you today--as I do every time you call, but, it is not our business.

It's his choice where he wants to ride and when. Just because we are fans does not give us the right to think that our opinions matter when it comes to his career.
Shelby, thanks for the kind words. I've always admired your posts here. However on this one I think you're dead wrong. This is sport and therefore by definition entertainment. We are fans.

Our opinions and passion fuel the fire and make it fun. No different than Lebron/Durant or American Idol or where should Peyton Manning sign.

We follow this to get away from mortgages or bosses or our confusing teenagers. it IS our business and IMO business is great
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #84
Robert Fischer
clean money

expecting to get a better appreciation for his strengths and weaknesses in New York...
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #85
Meunuco
Veteran

Starting out with only 2 mounts. Both Ward 2 year olds.
Meunuco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #86
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Your opinion is wrong in this case, but don't worry. Another 50 or so years and you'll figure it out.
I think that my opinion is in line with the some of the thinking from some that do this for a living.

Quoting myself:
"In thoroughbred racing Jockey about 5%, the Trip 15%, and the Horse 80%."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a quote from Joe Talamo in the Racing form:

This summer at Del Mar, Talamo expects to challenge Bejarano. “I can beat him,” he said. “I was the leading rider to the last week or two last year. It depends on the horse. It’s 90 percent horse and 10 percent jockey.”

David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 06-26-2012 at 05:10 PM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #87
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
I think that my opinion is in line with the some of the thinking from some that do this for a living.

Quoting myself:
"In thoroughbred racing Jockey about 5%, the Trip 15%, and the Horse 80%."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a quote from Joe Talamo in the Racing form:

This summer at Del Mar, Talamo expects to challenge Bejarano. “I can beat him,” he said. “I was the leading rider to the last week or two last year. It depends on the horse. It’s 90 percent horse and 10 percent jockey.”

David-LV
Well, I was talking about your opinion on Rosario.

I don't disagree rider is a small part of the equation. I didn't need Joe Talamo to confirm it.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #88
MONEY

5% of 6 furlongs is 66 yards.

Does any body think that Curlin, Zenyatta, Harve de Grace or Rachel Alexandra would have had great records with Maylan Studart or Lucie Herkova as their regular riders.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #89
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY

Does any body think that Curlin, Zenyatta, Harve de Grace or Rachel Alexandra would have had great records with Maylan Studart or Lucie Herkova as their regular riders.
Great Records? Sure. I do.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #90
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY

Absolutely, I don't doubt it for a second.

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply