Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #16
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
What is stopping a full blown no holds barred effort to get these kids out? Send in the United States Armed Forces. Fly in hordes of equipment and men to pump that place dry and reshape the terrain to prevent rain runoff from re-filling it. It would be some great PR for everyone that hates us.

Seems so simple, doesn't it?
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz and Boltz View Post
Seems so simple, doesn't it?
Musk's idea of pressurizing the cave the boys are in seems like a smart one for the short run.

A swim-out a last resort.

They are going to be there for awhile I think.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
Marshall Bennett

I assume the clearance between them and outside is too narrow for any underwater vehicle. If that's the case swimming could be their only option if they don't have to dive too deep, and of course are able to swim.
I get the impression their chances aren't that good. I pray I'm wrong.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I assume the clearance between them and outside is too narrow for any underwater vehicle. If that's the case swimming could be their only option if they don't have to dive too deep, and of course are able to swim.
I get the impression their chances aren't that good. I pray I'm wrong.
From what it looks like you're going to have several "legs" on the way out. Which means lots of personnel and staging areas inside in the cave. Then the weather has to cooperate...

First priority would be getting them to where they can at least stay where they are at for awhile.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

There aren't a lot of good pictures on what is going on, but what I see is not a good effort to get the water out. That cave entrance should be stuffed with pump hoses and it isn't.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
elysiantraveller

Quote:
There aren't a lot of good pictures on what is going on, but what I see is not a good effort to get the water out. That cave entrance should be stuffed with pump hoses and it isn't.
Yeah... it honestly sounds like a nightmare...

All of those different caverns though are probably under different pressures though so even pumping could pose a problem. Like a silly straw with liquid in random spots where pumping one dry floods another...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Yeah... it honestly sounds like a nightmare...

All of those different caverns though are probably under different pressures though so even pumping could pose a problem. Like a silly straw with liquid in random spots where pumping one dry floods another...

I am just looking at random diagrams that may or not be that accurate. I realize tunneling and moving large amounts of dirt can take forever, but getting the water out should not if done on a large scale. I realize the pressure and seepage issues involved. I just think the local authorities are over their heads and need to call in help from higher powers ASAP.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #23
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I am just looking at random diagrams that may or not be that accurate. I realize tunneling and moving large amounts of dirt can take forever, but getting the water out should not if done on a large scale. I realize the pressure and seepage issues involved. I just think the local authorities are over their heads and need to call in help from higher powers ASAP.
Agreed.

USACE or something like that.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #24
Marshall Bennett

The kids used a phone-camera and sent pictures. The one I saw looks bad and shows what lack of food does for two weeks. You would think they could at least run some sort of plumbing snake to them with food. Could be a case of "where it goes nobody knows". They are 2 miles from the opening outside. Hard to imagine taking kids that deep in such a cave. The chief in charge is a fkin idiot.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

This looks risky, but if a trained Navy Seal can do it , then a bunch of scrawny teen and pre-teen boys should have no problem.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-options-video

A three hour ordeal for each boy!

Last edited by Nutz and Boltz; 07-06-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #26
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
The kids used a phone-camera and sent pictures. The one I saw looks bad and shows what lack of food does for two weeks. You would think they could at least run some sort of plumbing snake to them with food. Could be a case of "where it goes nobody knows". They are 2 miles from the opening outside. Hard to imagine taking kids that deep in such a cave. The chief in charge is a fkin idiot.
Divers have reached them and some are staying with them so I have no doubt they will be receiving food and water. They won't look good because it was ten days before they were found.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #27
snappit

Quote:
I think this is a bit disingenuous. The authorities are receiving expert help with teams from foreign countries including US, Australia, China and expert cave dive rescuers from the UK who first found the kids, as well as many others from other countries. I am sure they are doing everything possible and looking at every option. They have already pumped out 130 million litres of water but it is not an easy task. They are building dams to divert the water flow. They have miles of piping and around 100 industrial water pumps. Air lines have now been established to provide oxygen. They are being well fed and there are doctors with them. It looks like everything possible is being looked at. These children are being incredibly brave and resilient and the guys trying to get them out are heroes risking their own lives as we have already seen.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #28
sonnyp

it is hard to believe that guys on this thread are questioning the effort being made from half way around the world with no idea of the actual circumstances or physical layout of the scene while the world's best authorities on the topic are actually on hand accessing the situation and risking their lives. seems rather misguided to me
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #29
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp View Post
it is hard to believe that guys on this thread are questioning the effort being made from half way around the world with no idea of the actual circumstances or physical layout of the scene while the world's best authorities on the topic are actually on hand accessing the situation and risking their lives. seems rather misguided to me
as well as never been underground in a cave that at times is only 6 inches wide with multiple water entry points.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #30
elysiantraveller

I'm not demeaning any body.

It looks like a absolute mess to figure out. If they are getting air though and supply runs can be made into the caves keeping them put seems the wisest option while others are explored.

They may wind up there for a couple of months but if they all come out relatively unscathed it's worth the wait.