Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #46
GaryG
Unreconstructed

We were practically neighbors and I didn't even know it. I am very sorry that we never got the chance to meet. Perhaps at a later time. RIP Richard.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #47
rrpic6

I too had never met Rich in person but really enjoyed and respected his input on PA. I was honored to receive a PM from Rich a few years back offering encouragement. He must have been one helluva guy! RIP rrbauer.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #48
fight

rip friend

iam saddened at this news. we spent many a day together at each other homes and all tracks in california and tj.he new his stuff.
fight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #49
Valuist

RIP to a good poster and capper on here.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #50
Trotman
Veteran

Having never met Rich by reading the many posts I can tell the man he was by the words of all. RIP Rich may we all meet again at Heavenly Downs and deepest sympanthy to family.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #51
proximity

really enjoyed the old trackthieves site, which i believe was mr bauer's. very well written articles about takeout and breakage.

rip
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #52
Ian Meyers

I was really bummed to read the news of Richard's passing. Richard and I didn't hit it off right away when I joined PA but we became good friends over the past 3 1/2 years. I loved that you always knew where you stood with Richard; he was the first to praise if you did something right and the first to chew you a new one if he thought you were wrong. We hadn't spoken in a few months, I guess not since the triple crown ended. He was loving life in retirement in TN, betting horses and watching college basketball in his home theater. He sounded the same as ever the last we spoke, talking about how he was going to take it easy gambling until Tampa, full of piss and vinegar about the state of our game . That's the way I'll always remember him.

RIP pal. I wish I would have met you 20 years earlier.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #53
nijinski

I hadn't gotten to know him but I can see by the responses he was very much admired here , so I am sorry about the loss . RIP RRBauer .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #54
Wickel

Sad news, indeed. Enjoyed Rich's posts. My thoughts are with his family. RIP, Rich.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #55
Vinnie

Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bauer in person, but, I know that he was an incredibly sharp and passionate man just by reading the many informative and truly insightful posts that he provided on this site over the years.

RIP Mr. Bauer sir. My most heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to you and your family.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #56
BetHorses!

Great poster and great man.

RIP Both Hands Bettor

You will be missed!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #57
GARY Z
gary z

Mr. Bauer

Rest in peace sir, I really enjoyed your posts.
GARY Z is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #58
DeanT

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Horseplayer Richard Bauer Passes

Richard Bauer, long time horseplayer and one of the original members of HANA, has passed away at the age of 70.

Richard, a US Navy veteran, is survived by his wife of 47 years, Karen Metzger Bauer; one daughter and son-in-law, Jill and Doug Dunne; two grandchildren, Kylie Dunne and Trevor Dunne, all of PA; and one sister and brother-in-law; Judie and Frank Armijo, AZ.

Richard lived and breathed horses and the sport of racing. He was as passionate a player as you would ever want to meet.

HANA President Jeff Platt:

"Richard was a true horseplayer and I am truly saddened to hear of his passing."

One of the founders of HANA, John Swetye, remembered his early help for HANA:

"He gave valuable advice to me during the startup of HANA. He was a mover and shaker and will be greatly missed."

After HANA's formation, Richard's support did not stop there. He is the organizations largest financial contributor to date.

Richard, throughout the horse racing community has always been respected, even on sometimes contentious chat boards.

"Rich has been a fixture here on PaceAdvantage from the beginning. Always a very generous person, and always fighting the good fight for horseplayers." said Mike who runs the popular chat site. "I'm going to miss seeing Rich at Saratoga, drinking a beer with him, and doping out the next winner. He knew his stuff inside and out."

Most people in racing would remember Richard as the spearhead of the 2004 boycott of Magna racetracks. Richard's passion for the project was infectious and the boycott was a huge success.

In recent years Richard was a proponent for lower takeout and the elimination of the archaic and anachronistic practice of breakage. He loved Tampa Bay Downs and visited it each January. In the spring he was a fixture at Keeneland.

The Horseplayers Association of North America would like to offer its deepest condolences to the family and friends of Richard Bauer, a friend to horseplayers everywhere.

If you are a friend of Richard and would like to leave the family a note, you can via an online guestbook here. In addition, if would like to share a story or two you can below, or at the existing thread at Paceadvantage.com here
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #59
eastie
Double Secret Probation

Godspeed Mr. Bauer. Should we get up a collection for some flowers ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spa.JPG (78.3 KB, 84 views)
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #60
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

So sad about Rich Bauer's passing. My thoughts and prayers to his family & friends. Really enjoyed his posts, his interactions with all of us, and his sharing of his knowledge of the game and industry. We were indeed fortuante to have him amonst us, by intenet and for the very forunate few, in person.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply