Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #31
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Lets be honest this had nothing to with pin firing, or caring about Solomini, it had to do with a personal issue he has with the trainer and thought he had some kind of "gotcha".

Personally I did not reply right away and wanted to see how many times he could reply to himself without anyone else participating, I think its a new PA record.
Of course it had to do with freeze firing. Someone did tweet out an article that I posted here on pin/freeze firing saying it was cruel. I didn't make that up.

But yes, I've had a feud with Baffert going back to 2010 and the boycott. The feud really heated up during the sudden deaths. His wife had fake twitter accounts and some allies on twitter. It got really nasty.

Old article from 2014

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...-of-deception/

Excerpt:

Fake Emails, Lies and Videotape

Pippin's most outrageous scam was reserved for Bob and Jill Baffert. The couple felt stung when Bob Baffert was subjected to intense media scrutiny in the spring of 2013 after reports surfaced of seven horses from his barn dying sudden deaths over a 16-month period from November 2011 to March 2013. Baffert hired Englander Knabe & Allen, a Los Angeles crisis management firm, to help him get through the media storm.
In the meantime, Pippin aggressively defended Baffert through his @BacksideTips account on Twitter and befriended Jill Baffert through social media. To gain her confidence, he texted screenshots from his phone of fake emails, hoping to convince her a clandestine conspiracy existed among reporters covering the sudden deaths, and the CHRB's equine medical director, Dr. Rick Arthur, who was conducting an investigation of Baffert's stable.

Pippin created email accounts in other people's names (including this writer), then fabricated messages suggesting a coordinated effort to destroy Baffert's reputation. Pippin used screenshots of the fake emails, which kept the names of the sender and recipient visible, but did not show the actual email addresses.

One of the fake emails Pippin provided to the Bafferts was dated June 21, 2013, on a fictional Ray Paulick account and addressed to Jonathan Pippin. It said: “Jon, I received your email and I think we need to stay on the story and tarnish (Bob Baffert) and his family. If the CHRB won't release any details I will come up with things. I have two current trainers on the So Cal circuit that can't stand BB. They are willing to talk to any media and try and get Bob banned from competition. He is a disease within the racing industry. – Ray”

One of Pippin's fake emails

The screenshot of Pippin's fake email was provided to the Paulick Report by Bob Baffert Aug. 3, 2014 after Baffert was asked about his relationship to Pippin. “You can add this to your story,” Baffert said in a text message.
Told the email was a fake written by Pippin on a fictitious account, Baffert responded via text message: “Either you're not telling the truth about the email or you had contact with him and didn't know it.”

Baffert has not responded to subsequent calls, text messages, or emails about his relationship with Pippin. Calls, phone messages and emails to Jill Baffert were not returned. Steve Schwartz, an attorney for the Bafferts, would not comment beyond saying it is a “confidential” matter.

(For the record, my only direct contact with Jonathan Pippin, prior to recent discussions for the purposes of this story, was a January 2012 phone call from Pippin in which he was seeking publicity for his partnership with NFL players.)

The fake emails helped Pippin gain the confidence of Jill Baffert, who actively defended her husband on Twitter in the wake of the sudden death investigation. Pippin, through his @BacksideTips account, joined in the defense, aggressively attacking people who questioned why so many horses in one barn had dropped dead.

Early this year, an anonymous Twitter account, @DannyStars2012, did more than defend Baffert. It began putting personal information on Twitter about people who were perceived as critics of the trainer – including where they lived or worked and knowledge of their children's activities. Some said they received threatening phone calls.
One of those was horse racing publicist Kelly Wietsma, whose clients include leading trainer Todd Pletcher. Wietsma was mystified as to why she was being stalked by the @DannyStars2012 Twitter account. “Scared the crap out of me because I couldn't believe someone was able to find my phone number and track me down,” Wietsma said. “I never did call the police but was ready to do so if I heard from him again.”
The online attacks came to a crescendo in February and March, around the time Pippin was invited by the Bafferts to fly out to California and be their guest on Big ‘Cap weekend.
Shortly after Pippin's visit, the horse racing world was rocked by the secretly recorded videotapes of the Steve Asmussen stable by an operative working for PETA. Rumors surfaced almost immediately that the Baffert stable had been “bugged,” too.

Bob and Jill Baffert
In late March, New York Times turf writer Joe Drape received an anonymous email from someone claiming to have hours of secretly taped conversations from the Baffert stable. Drape gave out his telephone number to the anonymous contact and told him to call.

The individual contacted Drape through a blocked telephone number and used voice-changing equipment to disguise his identity while discussing the tape. A snippet of the audio tape was played. Drape said the voice on the tape appeared to be Baffert's but that there was nothing suggesting untoward activities going on in the barn.

A few days later, audio from the tape was put online, and a new, anonymous Twitter account posted a link to it with the message that it was part of a secret recording of the Baffert stable.

Baffert got wind of the tape and determined that Pippin must have been the responsible party. He beefed up barn security, hired private investigator Chris Mandala and retained attorney Schwartz to write a cease and desist letter to Pippin, after Pippin had returned to Ohio from Southern California.

The letter was served to Pippin the first week of April. Within days, Bob Baffert dropped his @MidnightLute Twitter account, Jill Baffert dropped her @JillBaffert account, and Jonathan Pippin dropped his @BacksideTips account. @DannyStars2012 disappeared at the same time, too. And Joe Drape got an email from the person claiming to have the audiotape, saying it was time to “cool it.”

Earlier, Pippin had told an acquaintance the Bafferts paid him “a large amount of money to keep an eye on Twitter” for them. When asked by the Paulick Report if he received any money from Bob or Jill Baffert, Pippin said it was something he couldn't discuss because of the agreement he had signed with the Bafferts in April. Bob Baffert declined to answer questions about any alleged payments but privately told friends Pippin had “scammed” his wife for months. Asked about his relationship with Pippin Aug. 3 at the races at Del Mar, Baffert growled, “I'm not going to talk about that f—ing guy.”

‘I Was an Idiot'
In three separate conversations with the Paulick Report, Pippin admitted he set up fake email accounts and made a videotape recording of Baffert with his phone during his March visit to the stable at Santa Anita, then posted a short audio clip on the Internet. But Pippin insisted he had done nothing wrong in his racing partnerships.

When asked why he sold shares in horses he did not own, Pippin repeatedly said, “Everybody was paid back.” Everybody? “Well, there's one guy who is getting his money back this week,” he admitted.

The ownership group of Baffert trainee Lookin at Lucky included (left to right) Paul Weitman, Karl Watson, and Mike Pegram, but not Pippin
Pippin said he “did not own any part” of Lookin At Lucky, despite telling countless people he was a co-owner. How did that misinformation show up online? “I don't know. That was four years ago,” he said.
What about Gemologist and the story in a small-town Ohio paper saying he was “part of the ownership group”? “I never said I owned Gemologist,” Pippin said. “I said I liked him.”

As for his relationship with the Bafferts, Pippin said the cease and desist letter that he signed in April meant he agreed never to contact the Bafferts or talk about them to anyone. “I'm going to respect the letter,” he said.
Pippin did say the letter required him to “delete any voice mails or texts from Jill or Bob.” He said he turned all of those communications over to his attorney.

However, after Pippin learned that Baffert had supplied one of the fake emails to the Paulick Report, Pippin left the following voice message suggesting Baffert may have violated the terms of the cease-and-desist agreement that Pippin signed: “If you'd like to write a story about everything and the whole reason about me and Bob Baffert, I have voice mails from Bob and Jill, emails and text messages. A lot of things. If they are going to throw me under the bus, I talked to my lawyer and said if they're sharing things, I'm allowed to share things legally.”

Pippin, in a subsequent conversation, declined to provide any of the communications he claimed to have in his possession.

Why, Pippin was asked, did he create email accounts in the names of other people, fabricate messages and send them to the Bafferts as if they were written by reporters covering the Baffert sudden deaths or a CHRB regulator investigating the case?

“There was no point,” Pippin said. “It's why I got in trouble.”
“It was stupid of me,” Pippin said. “I was an idiot. People were trying to find out what was going on with the sudden deaths. There was so much stuff, people were talking.”

And, finally, why did he record a seemingly innocuous conversation with Bob Baffert and post it on the Internet, then try to get a prominent horse racing writer interested in the tape?

=====================================

Additionally I was issued a subpoena from Mike Pegram demanding my private emails and spoofed phone calls. One was from a guy at the CHRB. It was very suspicious so I told the guy on the phone that I had to call him right back. When I called back there was someone with the name the first caller gave but it wasn't even close to the same voice. And the guy on the second call said he never called me.

Baffert, his wife, and Pegram tried to intimidate me and it backfired on them. There has been bad blood for years.

And YES I ran with it too soon because it was what I wanted to hear backed up by an article about freeze firing.

This was the title of third email blast sent to my list.

Some are saying Freeze Firing like this is a nothing burger. Love for people to weigh in who know something about it.

The initial email went out at 5:52 and the email above went out at 6:45. So it wasn't as if I went all in 100% against them.

Finally I will always believe B.B. is the "Lance Armstrong" of Horse Racing BUT in this instance I was totally wrong to run with it so soon before I heard from the CHRB/Dr. Arthur.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #32
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I think you've got some talent with promoting web media.
If you look at the number of people who "like" his posts on Twitter, you might reconsider that opinion...
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #33
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If you look at the number of people who "like" his posts on Twitter, you might reconsider that opinion...
Here we go with the pile on. From a guy like you who's made a bunch of mistakes. First it was how many people follow me. It was over 3400. Now it's how many people like my posts. Get a life dude. If I'm that far in your head then You have a problem not me.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #34
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Here we go with the pile on. From a guy like you who's made a bunch of mistakes. First it was how many people follow me. It was over 3400. Now it's how many people like my posts. Get a life dude. If I'm that far in your head then You have a problem not me.
28 day summary with change over previous period

Tweets
337 Up 129.3%

Tweet impressions
211K up 121.5%

Profile visits

5,019 up 49.8%

Mentions

518 up 174.1%

Followers
3,473 28

I don't know if this help Castaway. Maybe he should post his twitter stats since he is an expert analyst.:lol

This is the only @castaway01 I could find. Not sure it's him.

Tweets

Following

Followers

Follow Follow @castaway01
User actions
Mohan Agnihotri
@castaway01 ‏

And FYI Twitter had me shadowbanned for months. They just recently changed the settings hece in the increased percentages

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-10-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #35
the little guy

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Comment away. I can take the heat.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #37
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
laughing so hard you're crying
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #38
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
He'd get zero license to influence content... - but strictly as a team-member/web-content-promoter, his schtick of self-promotion(, and sheer volume) to the point of annoyance, is admirable.

That's one way to be heard

Even if he simply did homework on his current content, ... you know.. consulted horseplayers, and actually knew his stuff, he could be like a poor-man's ray paulick/alex-jones hybrid

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #39
Andy Asaro

Quote:
He'd get zero license to influence content... - but strictly as a team-member/web-content-promoter, his schtick of self-promotion(, and sheer volume) to the point of annoyance, is admirable.

That's one way to be heard

Even if he simply did homework on his current content, ... you know.. consulted horseplayers, and actually knew his stuff, he could be like a poor-man's ray paulick/alex-jones hybrid
Hey, I don't mind taking heat for this thread. I was wrong and I admitted it and apologized to the Bafferts and Zayats.

You know very little about me. You say I'm a self promoter. To what end am I a self promoter? I haven't earned a nickel from horse racing in the past 8 years. Every time I showed up to a meeting I went on my own dime. So you'd better come up with a better motive.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #40
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Hey, I don't mind taking heat for this thread. I was wrong and I admitted it and apologized to the Bafferts and Zayats.

You know very little about me. You say I'm a self promoter. To what end am I a self promoter? I haven't earned a nickel from horse racing in the past 8 years. Every time I showed up to a meeting I went on my own dime. So you'd better come up with a better motive.
I said you have some underlying talent. Maybe you're right, and I don't know you, and you've been in this thing too long.

Potential has a shelf-life. I do know that, all too well.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #41
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I said you have some underlying talent. Maybe you're right, and I don't know you, and you've been in this too long.

Potential has a shelf-life. I do know that all too well.
You made some highly charged comments and now this backpedal? What is it with guys like you and castaway01 who can't get me out of your heads and constantly do the drive by stuff?
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #42
thaskalos

The thought that someone as well-informed as Andy Asaro is out there battling for the betterment of the game and for the benefit of the horseplayer...has me more confident than I've ever been about the future of horseplayers everywhere. As they say in the Allstate commercials..."We are in good hands".

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #43
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The thought that someone as well-informed as Andy Asaro is out there battling for the betterment of the game and for the benefit of the horseplayer...has me more confident than I've ever been about the future of horseplayers everywhere. As they say in the Allstate commercials..."We are in good hands".
Just so you know Andy, when Thask gives the double thumbs up....100% sarcasm..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #44
thaskalos

Quote:

The less we know about you, the better...IMO. When you were Andymays, you were moderately appealing here...because you kept a rather low profile. But your twitter-follower count obviously went to your head, and you flooded our board here with your tweets...hoping to impress us with your knowledge and intellect.

Self-promotion doesn't work well when the promoter has little to impress others with.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #45
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The less we know about you, the better...IMO. When you were Andymays, you were moderately appealing here...because you kept a low profile. But your twitter-follower count obviously went to your head, and you flooded our board here with your tweets...hoping to impress us with your knowledge and intellect.

Self-promotion doesn't work well when the promoter has little to impress others with.
I post tweets because the Owner of the Board allows it. As long as I'm following the terms of service and not violating any other rules why do you care? Me posting tweets is a problem of yours not mine.

As far as when I was Andymays I was a lot more combative and obnoxious and less knowledgeable than I am now.

I don't hope to impress anyone.

I'm just in awe of how many of you have me in your head and let my posts drive you nuts. Most people who didn't like me or my posts would ignore me.

If you have a problem with me and want to organize a group who you thinks it speaks for most others on the board and want to toss me off the board go ahead.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-13-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: