Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
georgetkingiv

Unhappy Cliffsofmoher Sadly had to be Euthanized at the Melbourne Cup

The Cliffsofmoher owner distraught after the horse’s death at the Melbourne Cup
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
bobphilo

This is indeed sad. What's even worse is the situation in steeplechasing. In the Grand National most of the huge field falls in the race and they average about one fatality every time the race is run.

In flat racing at least the horses are doing what they love to do - run, though whipping them to do it is morally wrong. When a flat race horse losses its rider it usually continues to run along with the rest of it's field. When a steeplechaser losses its rider, it runs along with the field until they come to a hurdle where they usually say hell no. That's why they have to put wings up on the sides of the jumps to keep horses from avoiding the hurdle. A hose landing from a jump with over 1000 lbs at racing speed and landing on the equivalent of a human fingernail (hoof) explains why horses are not natural jumpers.

I've seen the figures of fatalities for flat vs jump races in England and the jump race figures are frightening.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Bullet Plane

I agree very sad.

However, I will be looking forward to next years' Melbourne Cup.

And, of course, as always, the Grand National.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
This is indeed sad. What's even worse is the situation in steeplechasing. In the Grand National most of the huge field falls in the race and they average about one fatality every time the race is run.

In flat racing at least the horses are doing what they love to do - run, though whipping them to do it is morally wrong. When a flat race horse losses its rider it usually continues to run along with the rest of it's field. When a steeplechaser losses its rider, it runs along with the field until they come to a hurdle where they usually say hell no. That's why they have to put wings up on the sides of the jumps to keep horses from avoiding the hurdle. A hose landing from a jump with over 1000 lbs at racing speed and landing on the equivalent of a human fingernail (hoof) explains why horses are not natural jumpers.

I've seen the figures of fatalities for flat vs jump races in England and the jump race figures are frightening.

Like most people over here both, hardened racing fans and public, I prefer jump racing to flat racing. Yes, I agree the fatality rate is too high but a lot of work is going on to make things safer. A couple of initiatives at the moment are changing the colour of the fence and hurdle framework because of how horses see colours https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/45802534 and a new type of hurdle design https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2...talities-jump/ both designed to lessen the number of fallers.

I do need though to correct some of the things you have said. The Grand National is the biggest race in the UK and most watched horse race around the world and has been run since 1839 and in that time there have been around 80 deaths, that is less than half the races. A lot of work has been done in recent years to make the Grand National safer including changing the cores of the fences inside the birch to plastic from wood. There has not been a fatality in the GN in the last six years nor, to the best of my knowledge, any serious injury. Most horses do not fall in the GN, over the last six years the number of fallers is as follows 2-8-8-5-3-6. With normally 40 runners that is 32 out of around 240 runners. Most of the time slightly less than half the runners complete the course and most of the non-finishers are pulled up by their riders. The horses are well cared for at the race, there is a state of the art veterinary surgery at the course and a large number of vets in attendance. There is even a cooling down area complete with large fans in case of warm weather.

The wings are not there to stop horses running around the fence, I watch jumps racing day in and day out and most of the time horses that lose their rider run around the outside of the hurdle or fence or, in some cases, carry on and jump them. Horses running to a fence rarely refuse. Even in the Grand National where the fences used to go right across the track they have now shortened them giving run off areas to allow loose horses to run round the fence.

The BHA work very closely with the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to improve race safety and the RSPCA don't want jump racing or the GN stopped.

Most of the horses in steeplechasing are bred from National Hunt stock and have stronger bones than the typical flat race horse. Also, most jumps racing takes place between November and April when the ground is softer than the flat racing season.

Yes, the injury and fatality rate is higher in jumps racing but a tremendous amount of work is going on to make things better.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
Like most people over here both, hardened racing fans and public, I prefer jump racing to flat racing. Yes, I agree the fatality rate is too high but a lot of work is going on to make things safer. A couple of initiatives at the moment are changing the colour of the fence and hurdle framework because of how horses see colours https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/45802534 and a new type of hurdle design https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2...talities-jump/ both designed to lessen the number of fallers.

I do need though to correct some of the things you have said. The Grand National is the biggest race in the UK and most watched horse race around the world and has been run since 1839 and in that time there have been around 80 deaths, that is less than half the races. A lot of work has been done in recent years to make the Grand National safer including changing the cores of the fences inside the birch to plastic from wood. There has not been a fatality in the GN in the last six years nor, to the best of my knowledge, any serious injury. Most horses do not fall in the GN, over the last six years the number of fallers is as follows 2-8-8-5-3-6. With normally 40 runners that is 32 out of around 240 runners. Most of the time slightly less than half the runners complete the course and most of the non-finishers are pulled up by their riders. The horses are well cared for at the race, there is a state of the art veterinary surgery at the course and a large number of vets in attendance. There is even a cooling down area complete with large fans in case of warm weather.

The wings are not there to stop horses running around the fence, I watch jumps racing day in and day out and most of the time horses that lose their rider run around the outside of the hurdle or fence or, in some cases, carry on and jump them. Horses running to a fence rarely refuse. Even in the Grand National where the fences used to go right across the track they have now shortened them giving run off areas to allow loose horses to run round the fence.

The BHA work very closely with the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to improve race safety and the RSPCA don't want jump racing or the GN stopped.

Most of the horses in steeplechasing are bred from National Hunt stock and have stronger bones than the typical flat race horse. Also, most jumps racing takes place between November and April when the ground is softer than the flat racing season.

Yes, the injury and fatality rate is higher in jumps racing but a tremendous amount of work is going on to make things better.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: