Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #61
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
The Delta owners aren't. They're not among "most tracks". In any event, the amount you specified is far too little. Much more is needed. If you're paying only $1 a start for this, you should expect as much as $1 gets you, which is a candy bar.
I didn't specify anything. Brent did. If it were up to me, I'd institute a one half of one percent (0.005) transaction fee on every component of the industry. From Tapit's $300,000 stud fee down to the $1,000 stud; from the breeder's initial sale of the foal to the pinhooker; from the pinhooker elsewhere, every time the horse changes hands privately or through a claim; then I'd apply the fee to purses, on-and-off track handle. I'm guessing close to $80 million annually could be raised for aftercare, which, in my neck of the woods, would buy a lot of hay, oats, and vet maintenance for the horses that could not be re-homed or re-purposed.

This, of course, is a pipe dream and could never be accomplished without a central governing body.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #62
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Not a bad idea. Most (95%? just a wild guess) of the money paid over 100-200k is totally thrown away on horses that will never come close to breaking even, so a small additional tax would hardly be noticed.

Maybe tax only very high priced sales , since those folks seem anxious to toss money away.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #63
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Are owners so desparate they cant afford to euthanize an unwanted horse?
As sad as that sounds, it is a much better option than sending them to these kill pens.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #64
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
As sad as that sounds, it is a much better option than sending them to these kill pens.
CJ, correct me if I'm wrong (a good possibility), but I've read that some rescue organizations perform what are called "compassion pulls." I take that to mean that the horse is purchased to be humanely euthanized rather than sent to Mexico.

Last edited by Mulerider; 02-27-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #65
BrentT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
If Delta owners are having to pay into such a fund, they're getting screwed. Like the horses.

Owners are not paying into any fund like this. Not in Louisiana or Kentucky that I’m aware of and I run in both spots. It would be good if they were

Last edited by BrentT; 02-27-2018 at 05:08 PM.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #66
BrentT

Quote:
Far fetched? Owners are already having far more than $1 taken out of their accounts for every race they run at a majority of the tracks for this purpose. Trainers and jockeys, and plenty more who make their livings off the horse, are required to pay none.
Yes, far fetched to get a racing commission on board to do anything, I’m not talking about the amount. And $1 or $2 a start would go a long long way, it’s much better than ZERO that is given now. That’s a lot of races a year, including quarter horses in the state.

It would be a way to get these horses to rescue groups instead of kill pens, I’m not saying for the commission to take care of them for eternity, just the time to get em to the rescues. The rescue groups do a wonderful job of getting them rehomed.

Last edited by BrentT; 02-27-2018 at 05:07 PM.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #67
cutchemist42

Quote:
CJ, correct me if I'm wrong (a good possibility), but I've read that some rescue organizations perform what are called "compassion pulls." I take that to mean that the horse is purchased to be humanely euthanized rather than sent to Mexico.
Yep its true. I folliw a few of them on FB and some are pulled knowing they cant be rehabbed.

Just remember these horses are being shipped to facilities and in trailers not designed for them. Also remember that there is a lot of fraid on signing off that these horses are drug free and fit for human consumption. Its scary thinking what other countries are eating trusting the killpens that the horses are drug free.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #68
cutchemist42

Quote:
They are choosing $250 from killbuyers over the $350 for the vet to euthanize them.

Basically, I think if we are going to transport horses for slaughter, at least do it better. Other animals have facilities designed for them. The same should be done for horses.

The pictures of some horses after transportation is sad....

Last edited by cutchemist42; 02-27-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If any major network did an investigation on this and it made it to television, it would be a major black eye on the sport. Imagine a 30 for 30 on it. Tracks that do nothing like Delta are playing with fire. The sad thing is the public won't care which track... just that it is horse racing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #70
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
If any major network did an investigation on this and it made it to television, it would be a major black eye on the sport. Imagine a 30 for 30 on it. Tracks that do nothing like Delta are playing with fire. The sad thing is the public won't care which track... just that it is horse racing.
Here's some good news:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...e-organization
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #71
Mulerider

Quote:
Good news, indeed!

The article ended with a classic understatement:

"We're starting one area at a time," Keith said. "Louisiana has the most need, so we're starting there.'

Mule
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #72
PointGiven

A very big tip of the cap to him.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #73
Mulerider

Steve Haskin column

A very good column by Mr. Haskin that goes into greater detail of NTWO's plan of action. A trip by the group has already been made to Louisiana, which is deservedly the focus of their initial efforts.

A few of NTWO's supporters -- including Rosie Napravnik -- made a trip to Dominique's Livestock Auction in Baton Rouge on auction day. Sure enough, they witnessed Delta racehorses, still wearing racing plates, unloaded from trailers. The description of the treatment these horses received is not pleasant to read. The group actually bid on and rescued several of them; not surprisingly, they were bidding against Jacob Thompson, of Thompson's Kill Lot fame.

Haskin: Porter Forms Organization to Save Horses

The article is pretty long, but I think this group might actually have a chance to bring about positive change.

Mule

Last edited by Mulerider; 03-01-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #74
cutchemist42

Quote:
What would be worse publicly, sending them to kill lots or euthanize them?

Anyhow, I actually asked about that idea a while ago in a thread which I couldnt find. I basically asked how a Blackfish-esque documentary would impact horse racing? That movie basically killed an industry.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #75
cutchemist42

Quote:
A very good column by Mr. Haskin that goes into greater detail of NTWO's plan of action. A trip by the group has already been made to Louisiana, which is deservedly the focus of their initial efforts.

A few of NTWO's supporters -- including Rosie Napravnik -- made a trip to Dominique's Livestock Auction in Baton Rouge on auction day. Sure enough, they witnessed Delta racehorses, still wearing racing plates, unloaded from trailers. The description of the treatment these horses received is not pleasant to read. The group actually bid on and rescued several of them; not surprisingly, they were bidding against Jacob Thompson, of Thompson's Kill Lot fame.

Haskin: Porter Forms Organization to Save Horses

The article is pretty long, but I think this group might actually have a chance to bring about positive change.

Mule
Its sad knowing how inflated the kill lots are making the cost of rescue. Capitalism at its ugliest...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: