Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #16
Marshall Bennett

I thought the NBA folded years ago. What happened?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I thought the NBA folded years ago. What happened?
Quickly approaching football as the most popular sport in the US.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #18
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Quickly approaching football as the most popular sport in the US.
They showed a clip where only one team member stood for the anthem. I wouldn't go watch if it were free and across the street.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
They showed a clip where only one team member stood for the anthem. I wouldn't go watch if it were free and across the street.
You think football is going to be different?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #20
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #21
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
those are creepy...

it feels weird. I'm surprised they don't have masks...

the fake crowd noise and the announcer over-playing every call is weird too...

it's a tough call, and for all i know, they could be more correct about what the public wants to see and hear.

if it were up to my interest, I'd like to pickup some more sounds like the pop of the ball into the catcher's mitt, or off the bat. The grunt of the batter, the 'whiff' of the swing...

is there any way to sell 'tickets' to fans who want to cheer from home? IDK what to suggest
Robert, They've got to MIC everyone, and I mean everyone. It would make it pretty interesting to hear the grunts, curses, trash talking, etc. If someone wants to, they could opt out of the language filter for kids, but I'd probably watch a lot of games under those circumstances. Let the managers' little off-hand comments and plans be MIC'd too. You could put it on something like a 20 or 30 sec. delay so opposing teams couldn't use the signs. People watched a lot of Olympic events as if they were live, and sometimes they're delayed a lot.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Bucks boycotted today's playoff game with the Magic. Looks like the Thunder and Rockets are going to as well. Good for the players taking a stand in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #23
ronsmac

I hope they boycott the rest of the playoffs and the next five seasons as well. The NBA used to be one of my favorite sports but I haven’t watched a second of the playoffs and didn’t plan on watching any as soon as I saw black lives matter on the court. We have 1100 blacks shot in my hometown every year and never a peep from blm.

Last edited by ronsmac; 08-26-2020 at 06:21 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #24
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Now that my sixers are out, boycott away! I usually follow the playoffs to the end but couldnt get over the stupid names on the backs of the jerseys.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #25
woodtoo

They could really teach their fans a lesson by canceling the rest of the playoffs. You know show em who's the boss.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
They could really teach their fans a lesson by canceling the rest of the playoffs. You know show em who's the boss.
makes zero sense to me. I understand wanting to improve the racial situation and applaud efforts but how does not playing do that. Are police officers, who lets be honest, are being asked to burden way more than ever, going to go, "dang I am not going to shoot someone when I feel threatened because the NBA decided not to play"? Maybe a more effective approach is working with the community and leaders to improve the situation using ones influence in order to be able to get involved.

I would also read this article if its not pay walled, and if it is the site is worth a subscription, but the NBA cant afford to lose more customers. Its not doing as well as people might think, part of the reason why they push their China business so hard.

https://theathletic.com/1997343/2020...-needs-to-fix/
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #27
GMB@BP

And they decided to finish the season....of course they did, the amount of money the player stood to lose, both short and long term, had to be overwhelming.

So much for taking a stand.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #28
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
makes zero sense to me. I understand wanting to improve the racial situation and applaud efforts but how does not playing do that. Are police officers, who lets be honest, are being asked to burden way more than ever, going to go, "dang I am not going to shoot someone when I feel threatened because the NBA decided not to play"? Maybe a more effective approach is working with the community and leaders to improve the situation using ones influence in order to be able to get involved.

I would also read this article if its not pay walled, and if it is the site is worth a subscription, but the NBA cant afford to lose more customers. Its not doing as well as people might think, part of the reason why they push their China business so hard.

https://theathletic.com/1997343/2020...-needs-to-fix/
Sarc button was on. Not playing is the easy way to protest instead of actually doing something about it as you suggest,
Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Bucks boycotted today's playoff game with the Magic. Looks like the Thunder and Rockets are going to as well. Good for the players taking a stand in my opinion.
I don't get it. Do they really think they are that important?
Old 08-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #30
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I don't get it. Do they really think they are that important?
They are important but not in the way they think they are.

They are an entertainment device from a strict sense for the people who watch them perform. Sure they are people and all that is involved from a personal standpoint but should player A leave then Player B would step in. Should Sport A leave then Sport B would step in.

If they are not performing on the field then over the long run they are not important. I am not trying to belittle their efforts I am just saying they view themselves as more to the average everyday person then they really are.

Again, the guy who gets involved in improving the community off the court is likely to have a much larger impact than not play a game.