Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R8 Del Mar $100K Oceanside: Opening Day

Turf meets the Surf.

Been an extremely tough year for Cali racing, yet new hope abounds on the sunny shores of San Diego.

Opening Day features a 12 horse stakes race on the Turf. Let's dig into it!

Manhattan Up: I see a lot of Mucho Gusto, and Roadster in recent lines, so the look to turf could be the needed change. Street Boss/Street Cry on top should be worth a shot. Solid work coming in. Trainer numbers on Dirt to Turf aren't inspiring in the least, but this horse has some talent. Can't dismiss.

Roger That: Foreign shipper that they put into OC$80K company says confidence, but his opener in the States left a lot to be desired. Lost to another peer in here across the pond. Hard to see.

Jasikan: Likely favorite with Flavor Flav in the irons. The likely firm turf course could be a question.

Legends of War: Very likely to be on the front with back race sprint speed. Wasn't beat horribly by the two back, and has a solid race in between. Likely looking to send and see how it all shakes out.

King of Speed: Raced 8 times as a 2YO, connections have backed off quite a bit this year, and this will be his 4th start of 2019. Bullet work on 6/30, and off a solid effort in his last out. Not without a chance. 1st time Desormeaux. Serious tote watch.

City Rage: Just broke his maiden, and maybe found his front end running style. Likely up against it in here with other speed. Thinking they have to send.

More Ice: The Hollendorfer will be under strict watch. Nothing screams great, or could be. 11th race, and a likely hanger without a chance when it matters. Pass.

Gregorian Chant: Wasn't that horrible of a trip last out, and really should have ran better. 5 horse field turf races you need to at least find some kind of spot. Now likely to face 10 or more. Solid works coming in for D'Amato. Can't dismiss, but not excited at a likely price short of 15/1 or so that he should be.

Riejka: Seems like a large reach, and previous jocks are opting elsewhere. Baltas is always dangerous, but have to look elsewhere, especially from this post.

Nolde: Shoved him finally to the turf, and he has simply won both in impressive closing fashion. Hopefully nobody in San Diego watches replays, and he'll be 10/1. This Pioneer of the Nile can move forward yet again. Major contender.

Golden Birthday: Sure; he has been running against pure State-Breds only, but last two on the green stuff show some solid forward movement. Smoking Joe and Cassiday hit on a pretty good clip. Works are more than solid. Could be overlooked with this post.

Synthesis: Another outside runner that is getting a bit better, but not enough as others. High expectations haven't amounted to much and in start 13, could be the longest shot on the board. Exotics bounds seems to be the high end today.

SUMMARY: Wicked tough Stakes race on the turf to start the meet. Can make an easy case for 5 or 6 of these. Great exotics wagering race.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Hronis Racing is such a nice team right now...

JASIKAN is getting a ton of respect in the ML and likely the betting as well...

It's worth looking at the horse to see whether you want to take a shot against the 3.
Tough team to beat, but a turf horse, who may not be that tactical, and at least 'on-paper' had a good setup in the Singletary, is interesting to work at and form an opinion.

There's some long-shot vertical exotics horses in here... Just have to sniff them out... Some of these horses have been placed in Stakes, and they aren't superstars, so it's hard to figure there form. At least from my amateur glance, this race doesn't have a ton of obvious world-beaters...

Also taking a look at the 3rd race... full field of State-Bred Maidens going 1M turf... good handicapping race..

check for Doubles from OCEANSIDE in the 9th race, as well.
Full field, 7F dirt, 64k purse.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Hronis Racing is such a nice team right now...

JASIKAN is getting a ton of respect in the ML and likely the betting as well...

It's worth looking at the horse to see whether you want to take a shot against the 3.
Tough team to beat, but a turf horse, who may not be that tactical, and at least 'on-paper' had a good setup in the Singletary, is interesting to work at and form an opinion.

There's some long-shot vertical exotics horses in here... Just have to sniff them out... Some of these horses have been placed in Stakes, and they aren't superstars, so it's hard to figure there form. At least from my amateur glance, this race doesn't have a ton of obvious world-beaters...

Also taking a look at the 3rd race... full field of State-Bred Maidens going 1M turf... good handicapping race..

check for Doubles from OCEANSIDE in the 9th race, as well.
Full field, 7F dirt, 64k purse.
Spokane Eagle has been scratched from race #9
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 02:00 AM   #4
trifecta

I like Nolde in this race.

He's really taken to the turf and seems to run well when wide in the stretch. I will play him to win and key him in exactas with the and
trifecta is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
groupie doll

Box the for the exacta
WP on the

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta View Post
I like Nolde in this race.
this is the one I fear... might hedge and include him.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Jack950

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
Box the for the exacta
WP on the

this is the one I fear... might hedge and include him.
Thx for rundown guys. Will give a look.
Jack950 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
jimmyb

looks like a beast

ex and tri box

win
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
dilanesp

You mean the RUNHAPPY Oceanside Stakes....

(smh)
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You mean the RUNHAPPY Oceanside Stakes....

(smh)

Yeah, I know. Was going to include it, but it is the Oceanside Stakes at a Mile on Turf. That is what it is.

Runhappy was a great horse, and hope he breeds well. I think we are all a bit puzzled as to the races being changed to have his name on them. I mean seriously, the Runhappy Met Mile? In his 3 career races that he ran at a mile or more, he was 9th, 4th, and 8th and the only races he ever lost. He also never ran on grass like this Mile Stakes race will be ran.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

also '10th' race, not 3rd race
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

Also taking a look at the xxxxxx3rdxxxx no no race... full field of State-Bred Maidens going 1M turf... good handicapping race..
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Yeah, I know. Was going to include it, but it is the Oceanside Stakes at a Mile on Turf. That is what it is.

Runhappy was a great horse, and hope he breeds well. I think we are all a bit puzzled as to the races being changed to have his name on them. I mean seriously, the Runhappy Met Mile? In his 3 career races that he ran at a mile or more, he was 9th, 4th, and 8th and the only races he ever lost. He also never ran on grass like this Mile Stakes race will be ran.
"Coming up next here at Santa Anita, it's the Runhappy San Juan Capistrano."
Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Special at the food court today -try the Run Happy chili!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Special at the food court today -try the Run Happy chili!
It will give you the runs but you won't be happy.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Oceanside - I'll go with
Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
Immortal6

/

Ex and tri.

Others have already commented on the top twos merits. Nolde 2/2 on turf looks to versatile enough to sit off any pace. looks much the best but might not reach the wire in time.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply