Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #61
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Colonial Downs is almost here. Too bad Dave is not announcing again but at least we have Jason there
Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #62
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
Colonial Downs is almost here. Too bad Dave is not announcing again but at least we have Jason there
Is it worth seeing in person? I have never been and I try to see a new track every year. Will try to see Ellis for the first time next month. Was also thinking of going to LA downs for super derby day. Went to Delaware park and Saratoga for the first time last year along w/Presque Isle-it was a good year!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #63
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post
Thanks Jim !

For anyone who doesn't know me or my story, to try to keep it within a minimum read here..... I started playing contests the year after that colonial closed down. Some people at colonial and tons of people at the Richmond otb's knew me as a young hot handicapper, but that was partially due to the fact that I started a partnership where we bought a couple horses down in Florida ( I was 19 at the time ) , and all of that was thanks to this forum, that is where I met our trainer and long time friend Tom Schell. When the economy crashed it became more difficult for all of us to own horses but we hung in there for a while.

When Colonial shut down we were on our last few horses, and I needed something to do. That is when I found contests, on some of the online sites Horsetourneys in particular. I literally qualified for the World series one of the first times I tried a couple weeks before the contest. At this time the Horseplayers show was on esquire so I learned some then, but a lot of my learning came from trial and error. I knew I could handicap with anyone on any given day, I just couldn't do it every day. After that first World series I qualified/went to vegas 13 more times over the next 4 years. HOWEVER none of which was ever the Nhc. I had some really good tournaments, finished 5th once with a chance for the win going into the last race, however none of these were NHC events ( all were Boyd ). I just started really trying to qualify for it 2 years ago, but years I was close even on points but just missing that one good one to get me there. A lot of it was because I skip months at a time, a lot of it was due to bad luck ( we all have those stories ), and a few times I was so close ( which once again we have all been there ).

I took a break from contests most of last year, the traveling was catching up to me and I actually ended up making a major career change earlier this year. I am now in a place where I really feel like I can start firing away again, however I am about to go to Saratoga for the first time in two weeks, and the week after Colonial starts back up. So I might put my Kryptonite ( the NHC ) on hold until the winter and try once again to make a last second hailmary, but I always figured once I get there I will probably win it outright as it has been one of the hardest things I have ever tried for.

Jason
Its a longshot but if I go I will PM you. Colonial sounds like a place I want to go
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #64
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
Its a longshot but if I go I will PM you. Colonial sounds like a place I want to go
No problem, it is unlike any track that I have been to. Although I am extremely biased , I was so excited to visit Kentucky Downs for the first time a few years ago because I am a huge turf course fan and I thought I would be amazed. Unfortunately it was a major let down , plus the schedule for a boutique meet like that makes it hard to coordinate seeing 2 or 3 race days in one trip.

The colonial schedule this year is perfect for a nice 3 race day week with the Thursday Friday Saturday 5pm post time. I believe next year they will add a day race day each week and a few weeks to the meet.

If anyone from out of town visits I can recommend places to see, stay near, etc in the Richmond area , there are tons of other things to do here just depending on what you are into.
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #65
thespaah

Quote:
Is it worth seeing in person? I have never been and I try to see a new track every year. Will try to see Ellis for the first time next month. Was also thinking of going to LA downs for super derby day. Went to Delaware park and Saratoga for the first time last year along w/Presque Isle-it was a good year!
If they renovated the existing building and kept it the same, it is a nice place. You will not be disappointed .
I was in the area about a month ago and drove onto the property and took some pics.
There were things happening all over.
Here is a rear view photo from early June
Hope this works
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RrWmZvUmhuNmZB
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #66
thespaah

Quote:
BTW, the main track is dirt. 10 furlongs.
The turf course can accommodate one lap 9 furlong races and one turn races up to 1-3/8ths mile
12 furlong races , if they have them, start slightly in the homestretch turn.
The style of turf course is similar to Gulfstream
I believe the total width is around 140 feet.
This gives CNL the ability to have a wide variety of distances and configurations.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #67
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post
No problem, it is unlike any track that I have been to. Although I am extremely biased , I was so excited to visit Kentucky Downs for the first time a few years ago because I am a huge turf course fan and I thought I would be amazed. Unfortunately it was a major let down , plus the schedule for a boutique meet like that makes it hard to coordinate seeing 2 or 3 race days in one trip.

The colonial schedule this year is perfect for a nice 3 race day week with the Thursday Friday Saturday 5pm post time. I believe next year they will add a day race day each week and a few weeks to the meet.

If anyone from out of town visits I can recommend places to see, stay near, etc in the Richmond area , there are tons of other things to do here just depending on what you are into.
When we went about 10 or so years ago, we went to VA Derby day. Then spent the next day seeing Colonial Williamsburg.
I am biased because I enjoy history. Especially the Revolution and the colonial times that preceded the Revolution.
I plan on going up there ( I live near Charlotte, NC about 5 hrs away) during this upcoming meeting.
I am glad CNL is coming back. Its the closest racetrack to my home.
And why is this?
Go to the 1:00 mark...You'll see or watch the entire clip...Funny stuff
Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #68
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
When we went about 10 or so years ago, we went to VA Derby day. Then spent the next day seeing Colonial Williamsburg.
I am biased because I enjoy history. Especially the Revolution and the colonial times that preceded the Revolution.
I plan on going up there ( I live near Charlotte, NC about 5 hrs away) during this upcoming meeting.
I am glad CNL is coming back. Its the closest racetrack to my home.
And why is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdGuKOyto0
Go to the 1:00 mark...You'll see or watch the entire clip...Funny stuff

Then I would say YES Colonial is technically your home track also , let me know when you are coming up , Picsix is from the Raleigh area and he will be up hopefully at least two of the weekends.

He only made it a few times before they closed but I remember the second to last time I gave him my best bet of the day 3 horse at 10-1 l. He only liked the 10 at 4-1 so he boxed then both for $10 ex box. Meanwhile me being a greedy handicapper only keyed my 3. Of course it comes 10,3 he makes hundreds and I have nothing to show for good handicapping.... however I have a ton of funny stories about the place also some nice scores especially the last season
Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #69
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
If they renovated the existing building and kept it the same, it is a nice place. You will not be disappointed .
I was in the area about a month ago and drove onto the property and took some pics.
There were things happening all over.
Here is a rear view photo from early June
Hope this works
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RrWmZvUmhuNmZB
Yes they put millions into the existing building. Although unable to share I have pictures from most construction stages , all the way up to today where they were working on the rail and paddock ( which the paddock area picture gave me chills )

In case anyone is there who doesn’t PM me I am not hard to miss. My routine is the exact same every race. Go from paddock , watch horses warm up, place final wagers , watch race in front of finish line. Winning race or good handicapping go straight to bar for a beer and had to paddock, bad handicapping or bad beat skip the bar and head straight from finish line to paddock.last but not least always have my iPad with me...... hell thinking about it I am probably more of a creature of habit than the horses themselves
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #70
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Colonial Downs Takeout Rates

Received the following note from track management at Colonial Downs:

Quote:
The Virginia Racing Commission granted approval for a significant take out reduction in effect for the return of the new Colonial Downs. The track and horsemen together proposed the reduction from the past 18%/22% to help stimulate interest among horseplayers. We wanted to send you all this quick note so you are among the first to know.

W-P-S: 16%

Ex; Tri; Super: 20% (Tri at 20% as well)

Early & late double: 20%

P3; P4: 20%

P5: 12% (industry low)

-jp

Old 07-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #71
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

-jp

Old 08-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #72
ctownraces@bp

Colonial Downs Opening Day Card On Thursday Features 10 races, 107 Horses, $515,000 In Purse Monies

https://www.virginiahorseracing.com/...V-2ikmYuq-xY3g
ctownraces@bp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #73
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Looks like a beautiful track in a beautiful area. I've always wanted to visit.
Too bad it didn't catch on in 2015. I wish them luck.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #74
JohnGalt1

I just finished handicapping the card.

I found 4 races to play.

Because this is the first meet in a while, I used the pars from the previous meet.

I will mark down the times of all races to make my own pars as the meet goes on, since I will see races from this meet in the future.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #75
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

-jp

No exchange wagering. Always sad.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply