Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
classhandicapper

Increased Injuries and breakdowns in the NBA relevant to horses?

This is an article about injuries in the NBA, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here because the issues seem to resemble what we see in horse racing.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...uth-basketball
Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
This is an article about injuries in the NBA, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here because the issues seem to resemble what we see in horse racing.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...uth-basketball
I thought the same thing when I read the article.

In the old, old, old days it was not uncommon for a horse to be unraced until 5 years of age. Over time breeders have preferred sires that produce precocious 2 year olds that can win early. So the horses are getting quicker at shorter distances, but maybe they are finding it harder to carry their speed over a distance?

The KY Derby is an important breeder's race, but it has been almost 50 years since Secretariat set the record for the fastest time.

Steve Roman has given excellent proof that the breed is tending more toward speed than stamina.

How long until thoroughbreds become a breed of quarter horses? Will the trend toward precocious 2 year olds continue? I suppose as long as money is the driving force this will be the case.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
How long until thoroughbreds become a breed of quarter horses?
If more U.S. trainers come from or train to a sprint-oriented quarter-horse circuit, and continue to have a bias toward raw speed in training TBs.......yes. Baffert, Lukas, and those who they mentored (like Pletcher).

And as long as they continue to shorten classic distance races here, and owners want quick winning precocious sprinters, racing secs find it easier to fill races w/sprinters, and commercial breeders having no problem accommodating them........yes.

Something like less than 1% of races here are over 1-1/4 miles. (That is considered "middle distance" in Europe).

This is an oft-remarked upon trend that has been happening.....Or rather, I should say not a trend, but a "mentality".

Personally, I do not think this is the way forward if we want the thoroughbred to evolve in the manner in which I think the breed should be going. I also imagine that is why some are seeking out stock from S.A. and other places.....wanting less "commercial" stock.

Barry Irwin has been talking about this stuff for years.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-16-2019 at 12:32 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #4
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
If more U.S. trainers come from or train to a sprint-oriented quarter-horse circuit, and continue to have a bias toward raw speed in training TBs.......yes. Baffert, Lukas, and those who they mentored (like Pletcher).

And as long as they continue to shorten classic distance races here, and owners want quick winning precocious sprinters, racing secs find it easier to fill races w/sprinters, and commercial breeders having no problem accommodating them........yes.

Something like less than 1% of races here are over 1-1/4 miles. (That is considered "middle distance" in Europe).

This is an oft-remarked upon trend that has been happening.....Or rather, I should say not a trend, but a "mentality".

Personally, I do not think this is the way forward if we want the thoroughbred to evolve in the manner in which I think the breed should be going. I also imagine that is why some are seeking out stock from S.A. and other places.....wanting less "commercial" stock.

Barry Irwin has been talking about this stuff for years.
Germany has a lot of sires that produce stout horses.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
clicknow

Quote:
Germany has a lot of sires that produce stout horses.
Indeed, they do. I believe that was some of the pedigree that was in Animal Kingdom. Who, by the way, won on more than 1 surface.

When you said
Quote:
In the old, old, old days it was not uncommon for a horse to be unraced until 5 years of age.

I had previously been reading an old story by Steve Haskins about horses breaking american dirt records and he pointed out they were all or mostly 4 years old.

It is a shame to see horses retired before they are even fullly matured nowadays and I always find myself wondering what they could have done.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply