Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #166
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
The channel has been reactivated..

Some of the small functions still need to come back(video thumbnail photos etc.), but the channel and the videos are available to view again..
Good always triumphs over evil ....

I'm going to partymanners today and getting my fill....kiri's clown...THANK YOU...

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #167
Grahamquacker

Hi, Im new here but reading what they did to your channel is really crappy I love to watch old (and new) racing video along with the APHA/AQHA shows, etc. Someone had a great channel a couple years ago with all the feed from the world shows, etc and it got suspended. Not sure of the details but youtube has really become anal. They need SOLID proof before they take down a channel someone has worked very hard on. Im glad yours is back up but some people really do need to get a life
Grahamquacker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #168
alhattab

Quote:
The channel has been reactivated..

Some of the small functions still need to come back(video thumbnail photos etc.), but the channel and the videos are available to view again..
Great news. Thanks for all of your work. I love it. I'll go back and get my Holy Bull fix now and maybe even catch the Open Mind Alabama.

The Match Game bit was fantastic. Who knew?
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #169
tzipi

Wooooooooooo!
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #170
sandpit

Thank you so much for this priceless archive. I got on last night, watched Lure's maiden victory, where he set a track record on the MAIN track. It's funny to hear Chris Lincloln tell the audience to keep an eye of him for the future.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #171
KirisClown

Unfortunately I'm back with an update..

Mende contacted me today with a threatening/intimidating email stating he is going to shut the channel down again unless I meet a slew of silly demands he has....

So.. if it comes up suspended soon, you'll know why and who is responsible.

Just one of them..

"Commercial use of any race-related videos contributed by me, or commercial spin-off venture in any form, would require permission from the video's original owner (Jeff Mende)"
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #172
tzipi

Quote:

Mende contacted me today with a threatening/intimidating email stating he is going to shut the channel down again unless I meet a slew of silly demands he has....

Just one of them..

"Commercial use of any race-related videos contributed by me, or commercial spin-off venture in any form, would require permission from the video's original owner (Jeff Mende)"

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!
This guy is a ######(use whatever word that's fitting)
This guy has nothing else in his life, so he has to do this to feel important. Only thing I can guess. I mean it's just so ridiculous from what I have read here. Why would he want to ruin a great thing???

Last edited by tzipi; 02-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #173
thorobasePA

Quote:

Just one of them..

It's time to do something about this. If we organize ourselves, we can crowd-source the archiving of Partymanners/KirisClown's YouTube racing channel. We cannot risk losing this archive. Here is my solution:

Using the YouTube APIs, I wrote some code to create a spreadsheet with the name and link to every video uploaded by 'partymanners' - over 2000 of them. The spreadsheet is publicly accessible to view and edit (max 200 viewing at same time, max 10 editing at same time) here:
This is what it looks like:

The X in the "Downloaded?" column means someone has downloaded a copy of that race video to their local hard drive (In this case it's me). The "% Complete" cell will automatically keep track of how far along are we.

Right now we are only concerned with having a digital copy of the YouTube videos on partymanners' channel, so the focus is on many of us downloading as many of the videos we can and we will later organize the collection of videos downloaded those involved to upload to a new service and create a historical racing video archive for all to enjoy.

To help, follow these 6 simple steps:

1. Go to the spreadsheet and pick a line in the sheet that hasn't yet got an "X", then click on the cell for the URL (the website address) for that video - a little blue box will appear on the left, and when clicked, will take you to the YouTube video itself - and copy the URL contents of that cell.

in this example, I'm going to download Ghostzappers' 2003 Belmont Allowance race

2. Go to www.keepvid.com and, in the URL textbox, enter the URL you copied above, and then press the Download button

3. It will take the KeepVid.com web service a few seconds to process the video, but you will be presented with a number of links to download the video from - I would recommended those on high-speed broadband connections (i.e. the majority of people) to download the MP4 High-Quality version. If your network speeds are quite slow, choose the low quality version and make a note of that.
Right-click on your chosen link, and click "Save Link As..." or similar

4. Save the video with a name associated with that race and YouTube link. For instance, I saved this video as "hpmrXF1uOUg Ghostzapper2003Alw.mp4" so I know exactly which video this refers to. Sometimes the YouTube ID format is not compatible with file names allowed by your operating system, so just pick a name that matches up somehow to the spreadsheet. This is important, as when we later collate our downloaded videos, we need to know which is which.

5. Mark an "X" in the "Downloaded?" column of the row of the video you have just downloaded. The "% Complete" value will auto-update.

If someone has already downloaded a video you would really like to also download, please consider first downloading a video that has yet to be marked as downloaded. If you download a video that someone has already marked as downloaded, place another X in that column so that we know we should have multiple sources for that video.

6. Finally, and most importantly, after you have downloaded your videos for that day/session etc., email me at admin@thorobase.com with the details of the videos you have downloaded (IDs, race names, or row numbers) so I can match up your email address with the videos at a later date.

We will get around to organizing a server to upload these archived videos at a later date.

Please, please help me in saving KirisClown/Partymanners' wonderful collection, and try to contribute as much resources and time as you can. The sooner we get this done, the less chance we lose this archive to pettiness. Spread the word by email, Twitter, Facebook, whatever, to your racing buddies so they can help out too.

Me on Twitter

Thank you
Old 02-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #174
FlowerEssence

I don't have the computer resources to help (on a borrowed dinosaur while my laptop is being fixed ) but I want to thank everyone who's helping preserve this valuable collection.

You guys rock.
FlowerEssence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #175
tucker6

Quote:

Just one of them..

Jim,

I just saw this post. You may be interested in the following definition of COMMERCIAL USE.

A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual, university or other educational institutions, or non-profit organizations (such as public libraries, charities, and other organizations created for the promotion of social welfare).

It would appear that your channel(s) do not perform for profit, correct?? If so, you are not subject to the commercial use laws, as you provide the videos under the hobby/recreational aspect of use. Mr Mende is offbase once again.

Tom
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #176
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Jim,

I just saw this post. You may be interested in the following definition of COMMERCIAL USE.

A commercial use is one which is undertaken for a business purpose, rather than hobby, recreational, educational, or other purposes. Such uses are usually attributed to a for-profit entity, rather than an individual, university or other educational institutions, or non-profit organizations (such as public libraries, charities, and other organizations created for the promotion of social welfare).

It would appear that your channel(s) do not perform for profit, correct?? If so, you are not subject to the commercial use laws, as you provide the videos under the hobby/recreational aspect of use. Mr Mende is offbase once again.

Tom
I feel like I could clarify some information here...

The issue of commercial use with respect to copyright is often misunderstood. Whether or not you're making a profit is, with respect to copyright, irrelevant; copyright applies even when no profit is made. Even nonprofit use (educational use, for example) is subject to copyright restrictions.

However - and this an important however - because Mende is NOT the copyright owner, he has no legal footing to claim foul on those grounds. The demand he's attempting to make is one that could feasibly come from the copyright holder, but because he's not in that position, permissions would be a matter of principle (not law).

Of course, the demand itself actually strikes me as somewhat inappropriate, as the site is not-for-profit. Unless I'm missing something, or it's an issue of wording...

Seems to me that, as one claiming to have in mind the best interests of the community at large, Mr. Mende should be working with the site owner to ensure that his hard work isn't for naught, rather than tossing the baby out with the bathwater; I think we all recognize his contribution to the racing community, and thank him for his efforts. I also urge caution to Mr. Mende, as his claim to copyright - whether explicitly stated or wrongly assumed - could result in far more significant problems. Treading on dangerous ground, and I don't think anyone wants to see any damage done.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken, I think we all want the community to benefit from this exceptional archive. No reason for petty insinuations or squabbling to muck it all up.

Just my 2bits (not to be construed as legal advice for any parties of interest )...

Last edited by BluegrassProf; 02-07-2010 at 09:11 PM.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #177
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassProf
I feel like I could clarify some information here...

The issue of commercial use with respect to copyright is often misunderstood. Whether or not you're making a profit is, with respect to copyright, irrelevant; copyright applies even when no profit is made. Even nonprofit use (educational use, for example) is subject to copyright restrictions.

However - and this an important however - because Mende is NOT the copyright owner, he has no legal footing to claim foul on those grounds. The demand he's attempting to make is one that could feasibly come from the copyright holder, but because he's not in that position, permissions would be a matter of principle (not law).

Of course, the demand itself actually strikes me as somewhat inappropriate, as the site is not-for-profit. Unless I'm missing something, or it's an issue of wording...

Seems to me that, as one claiming to have in mind the best interests of the community at large, Mr. Mende should be working with the site owner to ensure that his hard work isn't for naught, rather than tossing the baby out with the bathwater; I think we all recognize his contribution to the racing community, and thank him for his efforts. I also urge caution to Mr. Mende, as his claim to copyright - whether explicitly stated or wrongly assumed - could result in far more significant problems. Treading on dangerous ground, and I don't think anyone wants to see any damage done.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken, I think we all want the community to benefit from this exceptional archive. No reason for petty insinuations or squabbling to muck it all up.

Just my 2bits (not to be construed as legal advice for any parties of interest )...
Great advice on all accounts.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #178
Dave Schwartz

I have a "WAS" (instead of "WAG") - that would be "wild ass suggestion.

Once all of these videos have been collected, I think H.A.N.A. should provide a place on their website to stream them!

It would mean high exposure at a relatively low cost.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #179
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
They just do whatever they want, if they want to take down your video they will and give you no reasons.
YouTube was created by 3 former Paypal workers, and is now a subsidiary of Google. Their idea was to display USER-GENERATED content. (That's home movies, basically)

Media corporations like CBS or BBC offer some of their material as part of the YouTube partnership program, but the uploading of copyrighted material is expressly prohibited by YouTube in their TOS. (ex. uploads of television shows) YouTube has been criticized for not making sure that videos respect copyright laws, and as a result have huge exposure to lawsuits by big outfits like viacom, etc. and face tremendous disputes of this nature every day.

It is quite possible, since YOUTube does not view the videos, that yours was deleted by the copyright holder, which issued a take-down notice to YouTube.

They can do whatever they want, they are under huge legal pressures every day, and their estimated bandwidth costs exceed $1 million PER DAY, which is only a small part of their operating costs (i.e., legal teams LOL).

(whoever said streaming videos is relatively cheap...it depends on how many you have collected, and how many viewers look at them daily. It can get VERY PRICEY for bandwidth costs...not sure HANA is prepared for that)

So, since neither partymanners or mende have copyright of these race videos, neither can issue a "take down notice". IF partymanners or a group of racing fans wanted to push the issue, there would be no leg to stand on, since it is more of "there but for the grace of god go I" situation on YouTube.......the copyright holder(s) of these racing videos can, at any time, issue a take-down notice, esp. if there is no agreement between menda, partymanners, and the legal owners of these.

So I wouldn't fight too loudly about this stuff.

Last edited by WinterTriangle; 02-08-2010 at 01:02 AM.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #180
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
So I wouldn't fight too loudly about this stuff.
I believe we're way past that point already...the moment the Partymanners YouTube site went down, pretty much every racing forum and blog site was reporting on it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: