Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #991
classhandicapper

Unless I missed it, I wish someone would provide a update on the urine test issue. It sounded close to being resolved, then there was the issue of the lab using more urine that they should have. You would think they'd be back in court at least once since then.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #992
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Here's another way of putting it. If you owned a decent 2 year old right now, would you hire Baffert to train it?.......

Why wouldn't you want a trainer who knows exactly what it takes to prepare a horse to win the Derby? Is it necessary for him to be at CD on Derby day? I doubt that decisions have been made predicated on the idea that Baffert will escape punishment.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #993
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Why wouldn't you want a trainer who knows exactly what it takes to prepare a horse to win the Derby? Is it necessary for him to be at CD on Derby day? I doubt that decisions have been made predicated on the idea that Baffert will escape punishment.
One thing to bear in mind is that in theory Churchill can ban assistant trainers/trainers associated with Baffert from starting a horse formerly trained by Baffert in the Derby.

People are at least assuming that Churchill will follow the same lax practices on assistant and associate trainers that state regulators follow. And maybe / probably they will. But they don't HAVE to. They can refuse entry to any horse just on the association with Baffert. It's their contest- they determine eligibility.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #994
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
One thing to bear in mind is that in theory Churchill can ban assistant trainers/trainers associated with Baffert from starting a horse formerly trained by Baffert in the Derby.

People are at least assuming that Churchill will follow the same lax practices on assistant and associate trainers that state regulators follow. And maybe / probably they will. But they don't HAVE to. They can refuse entry to any horse just on the association with Baffert. It's their contest- they determine eligibility.
I don't think they will allow that, but he has had other big names transferred to Mott and Pletcher. Hard to imagine there would be much issue with that. No way guys of that stature are playing beard for anyone.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #995
AndyC

Quote:

In the 30 years Baffert has been trainingthoroughbreds I bet that he has met some trainers that would not be considered "associated" with him that he could trust with his horses. Eligibility would need to be spelled out very precisely by CD to cover all the possibilities.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #996
Andy Asaro

Baffert loaded with stakes-quality juvenile males

https://www.drf.com/news/baffert-loa...juvenile-males
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #997
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I don't think they will allow that, but he has had other big names transferred to Mott and Pletcher. Hard to imagine there would be much issue with that. No way guys of that stature are playing beard for anyone.

Bear in mind, it will be the owners suing CD if a non-associated John Smith is not allowed as the new trainer. I am sure that other trainers have been banned by CD over the years. There must be a policy in place that spells out what is and what isn't allowed for trainer changes.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #998
dilanesp

Quote:
In the 30 years Baffert has been trainingthoroughbreds I bet that he has met some trainers that would not be considered "associated" with him that he could trust with his horses. Eligibility would need to be spelled out very precisely by CD to cover all the possibilities.
That last statement is not true. Churchill is a private business. They are running a private contest. Unless they engaged in race discrimination or similar (discrimination against a protected class), they have a legal right to refuse an entry to any horse and no obligation to explain why they did so or to put out any eligibility criteria at all.

Now, in practice, someone might sue and get a sports fan judge who issues a questionable injunction. That happens. But legally, Churchill has a lot of flexibility.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #999
AndyC

Quote:
That last statement is not true. Churchill is a private business. They are running a private contest. Unless they engaged in race discrimination or similar (discrimination against a protected class), they have a legal right to refuse an entry to any horse and no obligation to explain why they did so or to put out any eligibility criteria at all.

Now, in practice, someone might sue and get a sports fan judge who issues a questionable injunction. That happens. But legally, Churchill has a lot of flexibility.

So the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has no say in how CD operates? I think the flexibility is quite limited. Ultimately it is the owners being punished and if they play by the rules of the KHRC they shouldn't have a problem.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #1000
classhandicapper

In the mean time Baffert is doing just fine in CA and came away with a win in the one race he was clearly targeting at Saratoga for awhile with Gamine.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #1001
dilanesp

Quote:
So the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has no say in how CD operates? I think the flexibility is quite limited. Ultimately it is the owners being punished and if they play by the rules of the KHRC they shouldn't have a problem.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission could definitely pass a rule, consistent with Kentucky administrative procedure (which likely means after notice and public comment), requiring Churchill Downs to accept an entry in the Kentucky Derby who was in the care of a trainer Churchill believes to be a cheater. Absolutely, they CAN overrule a track on that, again, as long as they follow the rules applicable to any state administrative agency.

But they haven't done that, will never do that, and them doing that is not something Churchill management has to worry about.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #1002
AndyC

Quote:
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission could definitely pass a rule, consistent with Kentucky administrative procedure (which likely means after notice and public comment), requiring Churchill Downs to accept an entry in the Kentucky Derby who was in the care of a trainer Churchill believes to be a cheater. Absolutely, they CAN overrule a track on that, again, as long as they follow the rules applicable to any state administrative agency.

But they haven't done that, will never do that, and them doing that is not something Churchill management has to worry about.

I am talking about rules and regulations in place today. If an owner is abiding by the rules I doubt that they can be denied entry. I know you think they can but we will see.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #1003
Robert Fischer
clean money

Jimmy Barnes

Quote:
Seeing Pinehurst win the Del Mar Futurity impressively yesterday, I wonder what Baffert's endgame here is. He's suspended by Churchill Downs for 2 years. I'm sure his owners would want to point a horse like that for the Derby.

Is the plan to do a trainer switch right before the Derby next year? To bring a lawsuit right before the race and hope to get a judge who is sports-happy and will ignore the deliberate delaying tactic (which should normally be a ground to deny an injunction). To just skip the Derby?
Derby is getting ahead of things regarding Pinehurst, who got loose to run a 79.

yea, if Baffert is returning to being 'Baffert' again, as it seems, he'll be pumping out horses that are generational talents over the next six months.

I don't know what the 'end-game', or how the banning situation (wasn't his NYRA ban challenged/defeated?) plays out, but I made a small futures wager on Jimmy Barnes
Old 09-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #1004
classhandicapper

Quote:
Derby is getting ahead of things regarding Pinehurst, who got loose to run a 79.
Forget about Pinhurst and Murray (who is reportedly better than he ran the other day), he sent out Cornich to run a 98 on Saturday in the 10th. He's a Quality Road that came in working like a good one, went off 1-2, and won by just over 4 lengths without being all out. It's a long way from showing blistering speed at 5 1/2F on a track that may have helped him to having the stamina to win at 10F but it was a good start.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #1005
dilanesp

Quote:
I am talking about rules and regulations in place today. If an owner is abiding by the rules I doubt that they can be denied entry. I know you think they can but we will see.
Of course they can. Here's the Kentucky regulation on entries. It says a lot of stuff but at no point does it say that a track cannot refuse an entry:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/kar/810/004/030.pdf

Bear in mind, if tracks actually aren't allowed to refuse entries, Churchill's CURRENT ban on Baffert would be illegal. The reason Churchill's ban on Baffert is legal is exactly the same as the reason it would have the power to refuse to accept an entry after a trainer change- because no Kentucky regulation prohibits Churchill from refusing entries, and Churchill is a private business running a private contest which has the right to refuse service to anyone other than based on a protected class such as race.