Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #16
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mende
The bottom line is that Partymanners site is still up - and will likely stay up - as long as a few things are worked out. He knows how to contact me.

The fact is, Partymanners hasn't handled this situation well from the start. He accepted 14 years of someone's work without any empathy or understanding for the passion and effort it took to produce those videos.

Case in point: Didn't the frenzy over the temporary removal of Partymanners site offer ample evidence to the importance of the videos in question?

Why did Partymanners not see this? Why does he still not see this?

Why would Partymanners ignore any attempt to open up a dialogue with the person who made a generous, major contributution to his site?

Did you know that he failed to answer every email I sent him over the last few months?

Why would Partymanners slander any person in a public forum?

Was anyone aware that the plug of my contribution on the front page of Partymanners' Youtube site was initiated by me?

That I had to email him frequently over the years to remind him to credit me with individual videos I contributed?

If someone contributes 14 years worth of stakes races to your site, wouldn't you make a point of showing your appreciation to that person?

I don't really care what commentary is offered here. Please make the distinction: This is not a personal issue. It's about standing up for what's right.

And there's been plenty of hate distributed without a full hearing.

We still do that in this country, don't we?

Switching gears slightly, let me suggest that I understand what Partymanners' Youtube site means to him and the viewers. It's who he is. I get it. It's what we want. I get it.

I knew what contributing the videos to Partymanners could potentially do for all with a passion for racing - and it has accomplished that.

Probably far beyond Partymanners' wildest imagination.

But I had no idea how ungrateful the person was I was sending them to.

Although it's never to late to say you're sorry or that you appreciate someone else's assistance in reaching your goals.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Here's just some more proof that you were mentioned to the NYTimes reporter, it's an email from earlier this month when the channel was suspended.. but I don't expect you to retract your statement that I "erroneously" did not mention you to him. You've had the mindset of being slighted ever since I told you the article had been written.. I still feel everything stems from that..

KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
MNslappy

as opposed to Partymanners' relative easy task of merely posting them

You're obviously severely technology-challenged if you think capturing video from VHS tapes and uploading it to YouTube is easy.

Btw depalma113, excellent posts/excellent points. You are 100% correct.
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #18
zoobird

Jeff - You're an ass. Clearly, neither of you owns this content. The difference is that one of you is helping other people enjoy it (at no profit) while the other is preventing others from enjoying it...and I suspect trying to position yourself to make money from it.
zoobird is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #19
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
maybe partymanners or mende can explain because I am not taking sides.

Working in publishing and film industries there are an awful lot of "thank you's" at the end of every book and film, to anyone who helped make it possible.....(probably anybody that even brought you a sandwich. ) You usually leave the theatre before those start scrolling, and don't read those pages in your books...........but I can assure you, they're THERE.
The courtesy of thanking any and all contributors, while a well-established way of doing business, is important to some..... and not so much to others.

I taped tennis matches from TV for 10 years. ( I understand I don't own the content. ) if somebody wanted to put my tapes up on YouTube, I'd have no problem, but, since I saved them having to compile all those tapes, I know I would be delighted if they mentioned me on the site.....as well as others who helped the endeavor.

Obviously, whatever magnitude of "thank you's" required fell short for Mr. Mendes............. unless there were none at all?

(That's all I was {trying} to express to Depalma as he descended into legalize that had nothing to do with what I said.)

Courtesy is the glue that keeps the society together, and keeps people from killing each other.

So, could you guys tell me if my point about my tennis tapes being lent out, and posted, and just wanting to get a thank you for lending my compilation, is sort of what is going on here?

If yes.......Thank you's are simple. How did this get so complicated?
There's a "Special Thank You" note on the front page of the channel.. and a note on the bottom of each race description of either "Donated by Jeff Mende" or "Generously donated by Jeff Mende" He needs to come to a realization that he was not the only person with a VCR between the years of 1988 and 2002.. there's a TON of videos on the channel that came from myself and other people.. Mr Mende is the ONLY person I've had a problem with.. everyone else involved is in it simply for the love of the sport and the ability to share what they have..

We had no problems at all until the Times article was written.. He won't address the fact that he has been proven wrong, but I've shown proof that he was mentioned on more than one occasion..

What more has to be done? It's a non profit archive.. I get NOTHING from the work.. Imagine me threatening to close the channel every week if I do not get enough thank yous from viewers???
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #20
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mende
The bottom line is that Partymanners site is still up - and will likely stay up - as long as a few things are worked out. He knows how to contact me.

The fact is, Partymanners hasn't handled this situation well from the start. He accepted 14 years of someone's work without any empathy or understanding for the passion and effort it took to produce those videos.

Case in point: Didn't the frenzy over the temporary removal of Partymanners site offer ample evidence to the importance of the videos in question?

Why did Partymanners not see this? Why does he still not see this?

Why would Partymanners ignore any attempt to open up a dialogue with the person who made a generous, major contributution to his site?

Did you know that he failed to answer every email I sent him over the last few months?

Why would Partymanners slander any person in a public forum?

Was anyone aware that the plug of my contribution on the front page of Partymanners' Youtube site was initiated by me?

That I had to email him frequently over the years to remind him to credit me with individual videos I contributed?

If someone contributes 14 years worth of stakes races to your site, wouldn't you make a point of showing your appreciation to that person?

I don't really care what commentary is offered here. Please make the distinction: This is not a personal issue. It's about standing up for what's right.

And there's been plenty of hate distributed without a full hearing.

We still do that in this country, don't we?

Switching gears slightly, let me suggest that I understand what Partymanners' Youtube site means to him and the viewers. It's who he is. I get it. It's what we want. I get it.

I knew what contributing the videos to Partymanners could potentially do for all with a passion for racing - and it has accomplished that.

Probably far beyond Partymanners' wildest imagination.

But I had no idea how ungrateful the person was I was sending them to.

Although it's never to late to say you're sorry or that you appreciate someone else's assistance in reaching your goals.

No good deed goes unpunished.
WOW, just WOW.

This is a textbook case showing what the combination of megalomania, power lust, and delusions of financial reward looks like.

I believe, Mr Mende, you should re-read Depalma113's post carefully. It provides sage advice. There is a point where your original post could be construed as blackmail, whether intended or not. Blackmail need not be monetary in nature. It is a threat of negative consequences if one doesn't get his way. You're extremely close to crossing the line, if you haven't done so already.

From what I can see, you've been thanked enough and still want more thank yous. It is my impression that even if Jim gave you those ego strokes, you'd be back eventually with more "requests". That seems to be your nature.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Horseplayersbet.com

Here is the thing. Mende does not own the rights to the videos in question. If a race track from where any of those videos took place decides they don't want the video on Party Manner's channel, then both Mende and Party Manners have no leg to stand on.

That being said, I doubt any racetrack would do this, but the above is to illustrate who in fact owns the rights.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #22
banacek

Amazing..learn something new everyday. So I make a copy of Born in the USA and give it to someone. Sorry Bruce.. I own the rights now. Can't wait for the residual cheques to start coming in!
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
Indulto
Veteran

It should be possible to sympathize with both JC and JM in this situation. Here are two individuals involved in an activity for which both should be appreciated and applauded and neither deserves to be hounded or excoriated for their actions. I think it is easier to be sympathetic to JC’s position because his side was the first to be heard here publicly.

I believe JM was victimized, but not by JC. Rather the villain here is technology for which opportunity always favors the latest practitioner. Perhaps if the internet and open video image access had been available when JM was first doing this, he might have been the first to be recognized -- assuming profit would not have been his motivation at that time, and that he would have recognized the opportunity that an entity like YouTube afforded him.

I’m under the impression that JC is younger than JM and that the former’s familiarity with the internet was acquired at an earlier age. Thus he was probably more prepared when opportunity knocked to pursue this particular path which benefits us all. He deserves our support with the understanding that few of us accomplishes anything important all by ourselves, and without building on the work of others who preceded us.

I can appreciate JM’s chagrin as he observed circumstances seemingly conspiring against him. I felt the same way when businesses embraced Windows despite all its early problems, and Microsoft’s unwillingness to support small developers, thereby killing the demand for independent DOS xBase applications design and development which had finally become lucrative for me. Today, as a windows user, I appreciate what was accomplished, but I sometimes wonder what I too might have produced had I written my first computer program at age 8 rather than 22, and had been exposed to OOP rather than top-down SP as a discipline and religious experience.

I say let’s give credit to both these exceptional individuals in the hope that they can resolve their differences and somehow recapture their friendship. That’s more important than winning a debate on an internet message board.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
You are not an owner of the content on any of the video tapes you gave to partymanners. You have absolutely no claim to any race on any tape that you provided. If you continue to claim ownership on that content, you are going to eventually find yourself in court having to defend those claims.

Do you understand that you can be sued for what you are doing? It will only take one actual owner of the content to make your life absolutely miserable.

Disney, CBS, NBC, and many others own that content. Your adolescent cries for attention are most likely going to get Partymanners' channels shut down. When the content owners decide that they should be paid for the illegal distribution of that video, they are going to come after you for making claims of ownership.

If partymanners or you are trying to profit from those videos, both of you may find yourselves in serious trouble. I don't believe partymanners is profiting form those videos. If he is, that is an issue he will have to deal with if the content owners come after him.

Stealing content is a crime. You can face both civil and criminal penalties for your actions.

Your attempt at a contract clearly shows you are blatantly making falsified claims of ownership of that content. You will lose in civil court and your lawyer will have a very hard time defending you if criminal charges are pressed.

I suggest you be very careful with what you are doing.
Excellent advice, unfortunately directed at someone who thinks taping something off a TV makes you the owner of it, or gives you any right to make money on it. No one is making money from this, but at least some of us got to enjoy these races as fans. The sad part is that in his twisted desire for attention because he turned on a VCR in 1995, Mende is waving his arms and saying, "Copyright issues! Over here! Hey lawyers, come shut this down!" Because of how he's handling this situation, the most likely conclusion is that these videos get taken down permanently. Then he won't have to worry about anyone saying "thanks Jeff Mende" because he'll be erased from history---and people already have another word they're using about Mende, and it's not "thanks".
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
Kimsus
Veteran

Jeff,
From what I have read on this, you are not going to win the PR battle on this one, all I can say is you could have handled the whole situation with alot more class and tact. Sorry but you not are making yourself look any better with this post.

Last edited by Kimsus; 02-07-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typing
Kimsus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Jeff,

You are an idiot.

Indulto,

I'm speechless. Why should Mende by sympathized with in this case? Because he didn't get what he feels are proper thanks? For as much work as he did making video tapes (yeah, so hard), kiris did 5 times more getting them to the public on Youtube. Screw Jeff Mende.

Last edited by cj; 02-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
FlowerEssence

What a load of crap, Mende. You copied this stuff off the TV and you're lucky tracks don't come after YOU for claiming copyright on material which is clearly under their ownership. Hmm, now there's an idea....

You're like a child who throws a temper tantrum just to get attention. Grow up and see the bigger picture.

What a fool.
FlowerEssence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsus
Jeff,
From what I have read on this, you are not going to win the PR battle on this one, all I can say is you could have handled the whole situation with alot more class and tact. Sorry but you not are making yourself look any better with this post.
Kimsus.
Hey Jeff we care about the great videos and racing,not you. It's about the videos. You have handled this whole thing so badly. It just speaks volumes of who you are.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
Kimsus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Kimsus.
Hey Jeff we care about the great videos and racing,not you. It's about the videos. You have handled this whole thing so badly. It just speaks volumes of who you are.
Thanks for the bump Tzipi, I thought you were ignoring me, don't let it happen again.
Kimsus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #30
thorobasePA

If you are interested in helping out a racing community-driven archiving of the partymanners YouTube channel, have a look here. We are currently 12% complete! Do your part to backup these races across the community!