Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #31
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
You are all too dumb to argue with. Lamboguy doesn’t know what a vaccine does.
Andy C and Ontherail think a treatment and a vaccine are the same thing.
Pace advantage is PaceAdvantage.
Succintly stated
Old 11-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #32
tucker6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Isopropyl alcohol would do the same thing: coaggulating the protein body of the virus in which its RNA or DNA are contained. Why buy soemthing that is expensive?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7521917/

quote: Conclusions
Multiple concentrations of EtOH, IPA and SH efficiently inactivated infectious HCoV on hard surfaces, typical of those found in public places. Often no remaining infectious HCoV could be detected.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol.../chemical.html

uote: Mode of Action.
The most feasible explanation for the antimicrobial action of alcohol is denaturation of proteins. This mechanism is supported by the observation that absolute ethyl alcohol, a dehydrating agent, is less bactericidal than mixtures of alcohol and water because proteins are denatured more quickly in the presence of water 484, 485. Protein denaturation also is consistent with observations that alcohol destroys the dehydrogenases of Escherichia coli 486, and that ethyl alcohol increases the lag phase of Enterobacter aerogenes 487 and that the lag phase effect could be reversed by adding certain amino acids. The bacteriostatic action was believed caused by inhibition of the production of metabolites essential for rapid cell division.
Interesting. Thank you. So I mix rubbing alcohol with water or does it already have water in it when I buy it?
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Interesting. Thank you. So I mix rubbing alcohol with water or does it already have water in it when I buy it?
You are going to get a nice buzz too......
Old 11-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Succintly stated
It's amazing how good some of you are at completely ignoring reality.

Ever look at the COVID numbers lately? You should.

Then tell me how great Biden is doing and how great the vaccines are...
Old 11-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #35
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Well remember pre election the media ran graphics on screen of death totals # of infected # hospitalizations... on a loop daily. Now it's hush hush ... we will downplay for Joe Briben.... hush hush we will control what you hear. Hell if Trump was still POTUS... they would be running # of deaths caused from shot.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #36
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

I had a discussion with a friend about this yesterday after I said the vaccines were clearly a major disappointment.

He barked back that he disagreed and thought they were fantastic. He went on to compare them to flu vaccines which also only last about 6 months. He pointed out that in the case of the flu that's OK because its seasonal and you need a new one every year anyway. Covid may be seasonal but it's always spreading somewhere in the country. So this a tougher virus.

I told him, "all true, but he was grading it on a curve. The flu vaccines are adequate, but they don't work very well either".

I told him, "Some of the vaccines we get as children last a lifetime, the tetanus vaccine lasts 10 years, Shingrix for shingles lasts 5 years, etc... Those vaccines work better, last longer, and have very good or great long term safety profiles".

Notice how they never compare this mediocrity to vaccines that actually work really well.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #37
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I had a discussion with a friend about this yesterday after I said the vaccines were clearly a major disappointment.

He barked back that he disagreed and thought they were fantastic. He went on to compare them to flu vaccines which also only last about 6 months. He pointed out that in the case of the flu that's OK because its seasonal and you need a new one every year anyway. Covid may be seasonal but it's always spreading somewhere in the country. So this a tougher virus.

I told him, "all true, but he was grading it on a curve. The flu vaccines are adequate, but they don't work very well either".

I told him, "Some of the vaccines we get as children last a lifetime, the tetanus vaccine lasts 10 years, Shingrix for shingles lasts 5 years, etc... Those vaccines work better, last longer, and have very good or great long term safety profiles".

Notice how they never compare this mediocrity to vaccines that actually work really well.

The argument should be whether or not this is truly a vaccine. Pre-2015 vaccines were defined as an injection of a killed or weakened infectious organism in order to prevent the disease. In 2015 it was changed to something introduced into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease. In Sept of 2021 it has been changed to be something that produces protection from a specific disease.

Under the current standard many therapeutics would qualify as a vaccine. The problem with the word "vaccine" is that it carries with it the idea that it is the ultimate solution for any given disease.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #38
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The argument should be whether or not this is truly a vaccine. Pre-2015 vaccines were defined as an injection of a killed or weakened infectious organism in order to prevent the disease. In 2015 it was changed to something introduced into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease. In Sept of 2021 it has been changed to be something that produces protection from a specific disease.

Under the current standard many therapeutics would qualify as a vaccine. The problem with the word "vaccine" is that it carries with it the idea that it is the ultimate solution for any given disease.
I read about the recent definition change, but didn't know about the one before that.

Yeah, I always considered the word vaccine to mean "gives you very strong immunity" to the point you no longer really had to worry about catching whatever it was. With this, I still wear a mask when I go shopping indoors in Queens, only eat outdoors, and make some effort to distance. When I'm up in Dutchess County I relax my standards a bit and dine out.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-24-2021 at 03:07 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply