Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #7966
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I will endeavor to fix the crack in my record someday.
FTFY!
Old 11-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #7967
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
FTFY!
Spoken by a guy who wouldn't be able to find his butt if both his hands were super-glued to it.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #7968
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Spoken by a guy who wouldn't be able to find his butt if both his hands were super-glued to it.
This is what religion comes down to: scatology!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #7969
boxcar

Quote:
This is what religion comes down to: scatology!
So says our resident scatterbrain.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #7970
Actor
Librocubicularist

I got this letter yesterday. It's from someone I do not know. I post it here, leaving in the misspellings and leaving out any identifying information.
Quote:
I AM WRITING TO YOU TODAY BECAUSE I HAVE SOMETHING I
WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU.

THE NEWS IS SO FULL OF DISTRESSING REPORTS IT CAN BE
DIFFICULT TO WATCH OR LISTEN TO.

IN THE BIBLE AT 2 TIMOTHY 3:1 - 5 IT STARTS OUT IN
VERSE ONE STATING "THAT IN THE LAST DAYS CRITICAL TIMES
HARD TO DEAL WITH WILL BE HERE." THEN THE REST OF
THE VERSES GO ON TO DESCRIBE THE BEHAVOIR
OF MANY PEOPLE TODAY.

ALSO WE DEAL WITH DISEASE AND PANDEMICS, NATURAL
DISASTERS, POVERTY AND HUNGER, POLLUTION AND
GLOBAL WARMING, CRIME, VIOLENCE AND CORRUPTION
AS WELL AS WARS.

DO YOU FEEL WE NEED A BETTER WORLD?
WOULDN'T IT BE WONDERFUL TO LIVE IN A WORLD

WHERE THERE IS PERFECT HEALTH
SAFETY AND SECURITY FOR EVERYONE
ABUNDANT FOOD
A HEALTY ENVIRONMENT
JUSTICE FOR ALL
GLOBAL PEACE

ON THE WEBSITE, JW.ORD, YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A
MAGAZINE ENTITLED "A BETTER WORLD IS NEAR."
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE MAGAZINE. EVERYTHING ON THE
WEBSITE IS FREE OF CHARGE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY CONTACT M
IF YOU WISH AT ...@GMAIL.COM.

I TRULY HOPE THAT YOU WILL ENJOY THE INFORMATION

SINCERELY,

Last edited by Actor; 11-13-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #7971
boxcar

Quote:
I got this letter yesterday. It's from someone I do not know. I post it here, leaving in the misspellings and leaving out any identifying information.
Free is good. However, in their case everything on their site is so bad they should be paying you to download it.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #7972
Actor
Librocubicularist

Another win against discrimination.

The Department of Labor just announced that it will roll back a Trump-era policy that allows religious federal contractors to discriminate against workers.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #7973
boxcar

Quote:
The Department of Labor just announced that it will roll back a Trump-era policy that allows religious federal contractors to discriminate against workers.
That's nice.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #7974
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
That's nice.
Glad you think so!
Old 11-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #7975
boxcar

Quote:
Glad you think so!
And I'm tickled pink I made you "glad".
Old 11-21-2021, 03:12 AM   #7976
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Almighty Science ... ultimately ... resort to infinite regress as the final answer, which is a non-answer.
Why must infinite regress be a non-answer? Any why must infinity be regressive? Aquinas rejects infinity in his argument yet infinity is exactly what he is trying to prove, viz., an infinite being. That's circular reasoning.

Let's talk about origins. Let's begin with the following which any physics professor will agree with.

Suppose we were able to observe a person falling into a black hole. It is a relatively simple calculation to compute how long it would take before this person reached the boundary of the black hole (a.k.a. the event horizon) and be destroyed. However, Einstein proved that time is not the same for all observers. This fact had been proven through a multitude of experiments over the last century (the latest being the discovery of gravity waves).

Of particular interest is this fact: the stronger the gravitational field the slower time proceeds. This can be demonstrated with atomic clocks. Take two clocks at street level and set them to the same time. Now take one to the top of the Empire State Building and then bring it back down. The clock which made the trip will show a time that is later than the one which remained at street level because it was taken to a place where gravity is weaker.

Now let's get back to the guy falling into a black hole. What does this event look like from his point of view? The calculations are now a lot different. How long does it take for him to reach the event horizon. The answer is forever. He dies of old age when he's still quite far from the event horizon.

Now science predicts the existence of white holes. So far we have detected only one, viz., the universe itself. But it works exactly the same as a black hole except it runs backwards.

This is where my fellow scientists have made a mistake. They will tell you that the universe is about 14 billion years old, but they have made this calculation as though they were observing the universe from outside. Obviously it does not work that way. As the universe expands time speeds up. There is no time in the distant past where time started. The universe is infinitely old. Accept it. Aquinas was wrong.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #7977
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Of course, germs [secondarily] cause disease for example, but what caused the germs? And when you come up with a cause for germs, what caused that?
History of the universe from about 14 billion years ago up to the present.

In the beginning (the aforesaid 14 billion years ago) there were four primary forces and thirteen primary particles (assuming you include the Higgs boson). The four forces caused the particles to collect into hydrogen atoms.

Now hydrogen is the most plentiful substance in the universe. Over half the matter in the universe is hydrogen. For a long time (more than a million years but less than a billion years) that was what the universe was: hydrogen. Inevitably enough hydrogen collects in a small enough space that gravity pulls it together and it ignites, forming a star. If two hydrogen atoms collide with enough force helium forms. What is the second most plentiful substance in the universe: helium. The process repeats and we get heavier and heavier elements. Most importantly we get carbon. Carbon is important because all living things have carbon. What are having for breakfast tomorrow? Hydrocarbons!

I'll get back to carbon shortly.

Let's skip forward a bit. From stars we get solar systems, i.e., planets. Some of these planets have oceans. I.e., they have water. And some, the earth in particular, have oceans of primordial soup. And what is the primordial soup made of. It's water and hydrocarbons. And where did the water and hydrocarbons come from. 4.5 billion years ago they were floating around in outer space. Try to keep up.

So now we have a planet with oceans of primordial soup. The stage is set for abiogenesis. (There's that word.)

Consider the Miller-Urey experiment. Apologists love to put this one down, claiming it proves nothing. But Miller and Urey did not let their apparatus run for a half billiion years. Then there's the peanut butter guy who claims that a jar of peanut butter has never produced life. What if he had an ocean full of peanut butter and let it sit for a half billion years? How did he test his results? How does he know he didn't eat the evidence?

What does all life have in common besides carbon? It reproduces. Maybe something that reproduces might not be alive, but if it is alive then it reproduces.

The double helix (a.k.a. DNA/RNA) reproduces. All the ingredients for life are in the primordial soup. All it takes is the right assembly.

Could the assembly happen by chance? Yes, it could. All assemblies or disassemblies are caused by collisions. Two things collide and become one. Or two things collide and one knocks the other in two. Given a large enough volume and enough time and a great enough collision rate and you get one hell of a lot of collisions. Eventually you could get anything. But we are not looking for just anything. We are specifically looking for a double helix. The double helix reproduces on its own. And to reproduce, that double helix might be very short, possibly as short as two rungs.

Now we have reproducing molecules. Natural selection (i.e., evolution) gets to work. The reproducing molecules get more complex. Eventually cellular life develops. Then multicellular life forms. The more primitive cells become toxic to the higher life forms. That's where germs came from.

Any questions?
Old 11-21-2021, 06:23 AM   #7978
porchy44

Quote:
History of the universe from about 14 billion years ago up to the present.

In the beginning (the aforesaid 14 billion years ago) there were four primary forces and thirteen primary particles ....

Any questions?
Yes, Where did the 4 primary forces and 13 primary particles come from ?
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #7979
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Yes, Where did the 4 primary forces and 13 primary particles come from ?
As I explained the universe is infinitely old. That means they did not come from anywhere. They have always existed and always will.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #7980
boxcar

Quote:
As I explained the universe is infinitely old. That means they did not come from anywhere. They have always existed and always will.
Since you think the universe is eternal, then it must be pure existence in its very essence, correct? It has no beginning or end, right?