Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #91
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
For the record, Thorograph made both Friday and Saturday dead rails.

One of the problems I'm running into is that there are no head on replays for some races. It's tough to tell which path certain horses were running in without head on replays.
While watching I thought it might be a little dead inside, but now that I've made the figures I'm going to go back and evaluate more seriously.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #92
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
While watching I thought it might be a little dead inside, but now that I've made the figures I'm going to go back and evaluate more seriously.
I'm not buying it on Friday. Both Juvenile winners went wire-to-wire spending plenty of time inside. I don't need to dig any deeper than that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #93
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm not buying it on Friday. Both Juvenile winners went wire-to-wire spending plenty of time inside. I don't need to dig any deeper than that.
I misread his Sheets on Friday because I just checked and I don't see the bad rail notation for either of those two horses even though he has both horses running on the rail. I must have confused something when I was reviewing the races. Thanks.

Usually that kind of stuff screams at me, but it wasn't screaming at me Saturday while I was watching live. I saw some horses run poorly inside but I saw some horses makes good moves inside or not disappointing by enough that I'd conclude the rail was clearly bad. I get very detailed about it and even try to differentiate between the turns and stretch which are sometimes different. I'll review it some more too. It sucks having no head on replays for many races.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-10-2021 at 05:41 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #94
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
There should be a head-on for every race here:

https://www.calracing.com/live-video/replays/
When I couldn't find them at my usual sources, I checked there, but some of them aren't there either.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #95
metro

Quote:
For the record, Thorograph made both Friday and Saturday dead rails.

One of the problems I'm running into is that there are no head on replays for some races. It's tough to tell which path certain horses were running in without head on replays.
I actually thought the inside was a big advantage on both surfaces Friday, Saturday not so much and on dirt started thinking the rail may be dead once Gamine got put away by Bella Sophia. Jackie's Warrior seemed to confirm that for me but, save for Zulu Echo, Assmusen's runners were pretty bad all weekend.

I commented on the (dead) rail because it was strange to see Saez have no trouble putting EQ on it in the Classic, this knowing the horse's history. I keyed EQ (1st and 2nd) thinking he was going to get that outside stalking trip that he had won pretty much every race with save for the Derby. My tickets were dead by the 1st turn.

Last edited by metro; 11-10-2021 at 08:44 PM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #96
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I actually thought the inside was a big advantage on both surfaces Friday, Saturday not so much and on dirt started thinking the rail may be dead once Gamine got put away by Bella Sophia. Jackie's Warrior seemed to confirm that for me but, save for Zulu Echo, Assmusen's runners were pretty bad all weekend.

I commented on the (dead) rail because it was strange to see Saez have no trouble putting EQ on it in the Classic, this knowing the horse's history. I keyed EQ (1st and 2nd) thinking he was going to get that outside stalking trip that he had won pretty much every race with save for the Derby. My tickets were dead by the 1st turn.
Gamine was never on the rail. The longshot that was second ( Edgeway ) was on the rail. Life is Good spent most of the race on the rail.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 10:43 PM   #97
dilanesp

Quote:
When I couldn't find them at my usual sources, I checked there, but some of them aren't there either.
Xpressbet has head ons of everything but the Sprint on Saturday and everything but the Dirt Mile and Juvenile Fillies on Friday. Are those the ones you are missing?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 11:23 PM   #98
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Gamine was never on the rail. The longshot that was second ( Edgeway ) was on the rail. Life is Good spent most of the race on the rail.
Life is Good was never on the rail until the stretch.

SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2021, 12:47 AM   #99
metro

Quote:
Maybe I should have just said the inside paths were bad, save the splitting of hairs that would ensue.

It's not just about who struggled with inside trips either, it's those who outran their odds with outside stalking/wide trips.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #100
classhandicapper

This conversation is exactly why you need head on replays.

I typically put the least amount of weight on the backstretch for a few reasons, but without a head on it's sometimes difficult to tell exactly which path a horse was running in from the pan. Even on the turn it's often difficult because as they come out of the turn they tend to drift out. Some horses give you the perception they were off the rail when they were actually on it for parts of the turn. The stretch is clearer, but it's often kind of like the backstretch in that most horses that spent some time on the rail were not on the rail the whole way. Worse, is that any bias that exists is not necessarily the same in the stretch as on the banked turn.

The BC Thorograph sheets are available for free at their website. You can download the results for both days and see which horses were on the rail, Jerry's speed figures going into the races, and what they earned in the BC races. Then you can see why he made Saturday a BR and decide if you agree based on the rest of the trip and your own opinions on the horses.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-11-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #101
classhandicapper

NBC Sports on Youtube has some very good replays of the BC Races where you can see the paths a lot better than the official Pan replay for at least parts of the races.

Here's the Filly and Mare Sprint

Distaff

Sprint

Classic

They must all be out there.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-14-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #102
taxicab

Now ranked number one in the world.
Next up.......The Pegasus.

https://www.ifhaonline.org/resources...R.asp?batch=85
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #103
the little guy

If Life is Good runs in the Pegasus, as they are saying right now, Knicks Go will not. No way he is facing that horse's speed with little to gain and something to lose.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #104
taxicab

Quote:
If Life is Good runs in the Pegasus, as they are saying right now, Knicks Go will not. No way he is facing that horse's speed with little to gain and something to lose.
If Knicks Go is pointing to the Pegasus,and is 100%........I don't think any horse scares his connections out of the race.........for any reason.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2021, 02:47 AM   #105
SG4

Quote:

Would be nice if someday we could all say the winner's share of a $3 million race is little to gain. I would think Knicks Go really comes into the race with nothing to lose, it's a last hurrah, stud fee is already set, what's the downside? Did people look at California Chrome's stinker of a career finale in the Pegasus & hold that against him?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: