Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #16
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
The thing is, if your sleep mode powers down your hard drive, you are putting the same wear and tear on the drive as if you just shut down the computer. The drive still has to start up from a dead standstill, and starting up from sleep mode can actually wear the drive more than a boot if the drive is fragmented and the head has to jump around to read the fragmented sleep swap file.

Of course, if you don't use sleep mode, then your drive is wearing down from the constant spinning.

And again, by keeping the computer on, you are continually generating heat in some of the components, and, worst of all, you are leaving your computer constantly exposed to attack (even if it is in sleep mode).

Folks, turn off your computer if it will be sitting idle for a for a significant amount of time.

Also, consider using an SSD instead of a hard drive.
What would you consider a "significant amount of time"?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Most machines both mechanical and electrical that have moving parts fair better operating than constantly being turned off and on.
It's not that simple. If the machine is constantly on for a week, that might be more wear than booting seven times.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned above, if the computer goes to sleep mode with the hard drive stopped, you are putting the same wear on the drive as if you just booted. The drive still has to spin up from sleep mode, and if the drive is fragmented, the head has to jump around when spinning up from sleep to reload the swap file.

Electronic parts are usually unaffected by booting, unless there is some surge problem. However, spurious surges can happen while the computer is running.

And again, the longer you leave your computer on, the more you subject the components to heat.

Also, by leaving the computer idle and connected to the Internet, you are unnecessarily keeping it exposed to attack.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
What would you consider a "significant amount of time"?
Two hours, overnight, etc.

There is no reason to leave your computer on if you are going out to run errands for an hour.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #19
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
Two hours, overnight, etc.

There is no reason to leave your computer on if you are going out to run errands for an hour.
I agree....

Its off 8 hrs for the night only.....

Main thing I suggest is have a good surge protector .......

I have surge protectors on most electrical shit in my house..

My community was prone to constant blackouts....the initial power back-on is the killer...

GB
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 01:19 AM   #20
fast4522

Since I am a hardware guy and can fix anything that is worth the parts invested, I will dare to comment on consumer electronics and computers. Generally speaking computers fall into consumer electronics for the public and are almost bulletproof or company's would get crushed. All of that said the components could go 8 to 10 years but much less when strong electrical storms cause havoc in your area. Sure a clean computer is a happy computer. That 8 to 10 years mentioned before is included in turning it on and off every day.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 03:37 AM   #21
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Generally speaking computers fall into consumer electronics for the public and are almost bulletproof or company's would get crushed.
Not sure if this notion applies to Macbooks, as Louis Rossman has made about a zillion Mackbook repair videos. Here's a nice one:
Old 07-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #22
BIG RED
Son O'War

Ok, here's what I will do then.
Leave it on during the day, all day. I am on it back and forth from about 5am til maybe 8-11 pm (if I watch something like a movies or a ballgame. At night I will shut it down. If I know I am out for the day, I will shut it down. See, like today, with Saratoga opening, raining here, I have been on it back and forth since 5am (went out for a quick shop).

But, I get the just of it. I brought it up because I did here some time ago, best to leave it on if you keep it clean.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:17 AM   #23
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Anybody with actual ancient hard drives still being used as a boot drive...please investigate SSDs....especially NVME M.2 drives...they have come down in price and are infinitely FASTER than traditional hard drives (and much faster than traditional SSDs in many cases)...plus they have no moving parts...so are much less susceptible to what we are discussing here.
Absolutely agree 100% After finally securing a graphics card I finished my 1st pc build last Tuesday and it included my 1st ssd a nvme m.2. Huge difference going from a 15in laptop with a slow ass hdd to a pc with 32in 4k monitor and nvme m.2. No more f-ing waiting 10 minutes after I turn on my laptop before I can use it. Now I press the power button and 10-15 seconds later sign into Windows 10 and I'm good to go.

In addition to ssd make sure to get enough memory. Solid memory can be had at good prices so don't skimp out. 8gb would be the bare minimum and would suggest 16gb if you like to game or have lot's tabs open. I went with 32gb cause prices are good.

Next on the agenda is to secure good internet. If I can manage that I would buy a 2nd monitor along with RTN and be able to have several track feeds going at once.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #24
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
Absolutely agree 100% After finally securing a graphics card I finished my 1st pc build last Tuesday and it included my 1st ssd a nvme m.2. Huge difference going from a 15in laptop with a slow ass hdd to a pc with 32in 4k monitor and nvme m.2. No more f-ing waiting 10 minutes after I turn on my laptop before I can use it. Now I press the power button and 10-15 seconds later sign into Windows 10 and I'm good to go.

In addition to ssd make sure to get enough memory. Solid memory can be had at good prices so don't skimp out. 8gb would be the bare minimum and would suggest 16gb if you like to game or have lot's tabs open. I went with 32gb cause prices are good.

Next on the agenda is to secure good internet. If I can manage that I would buy a 2nd monitor along with RTN and be able to have several track feeds going at once.
I built mine last year with a Ryzen 5 3600 ...32 gig ram...and a m.2 ssd

I have a Nvidia 1030 Graphics....4K monitor too...

this should last more than 7 years or till I get tired again

What did you get in way of a video card..its sooo expensive to get now?

GB
Old 07-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #25
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I built mine last year with a Ryzen 5 3600 ...32 gig ram...and a m.2 ssd

I have a Nvidia 1030 Graphics....4K monitor too...

this should last more than 7 years or till I get tired again

What did you get in way of a video card..its sooo expensive to get now?

GB
Here is my build specs.
Rog Strix b-550i motherboard
Ryzen 5600x cpu
Seagate Firecuda 520 500gb nvme m.2 ssd
Patriot Viper Steel Ram 32gb 3600mhz

As for the graphics card I managed to snag a EVGA 3070ti FTW3 Ultra for $694.09 I was prepared to wait some time for prices to come down but I was fortunate to get my card at great price.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #26
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
Here is my build specs.
Rog Strix b-550i motherboard
Ryzen 5600x cpu
Seagate Firecuda 520 500gb nvme m.2 ssd
Patriot Viper Steel Ram 32gb 3600mhz

As for the graphics card I managed to snag a EVGA 3070ti FTW3 Ultra for $694.09 I was prepared to wait some time for prices to come down but I was fortunate to get my card at great price.
thxs Cat...as I expected....

I dont think I spent $700 total to build my rig....

gb

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: