Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #166
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Should be on the wire if people are betting their money and they want to get it right for the bettors. On twitter, some people are a bit mad.
Watching it on TV I thought Beholder finally got her nose/head in front just before the wire but that Songbird got the bob and may have eked out a dead heat or a lucky win. But from the photo it looks like Beholder got every inch of the bob to win by a hair.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #167
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Watching it on TV I thought Beholder finally got her nose/head in front just before the wire but that Songbird got the bob and may have eked out a dead heat or a lucky win. But from the photo it looks like Beholder got every inch of the bob to win by a hair.
From the photo, yes, agree. From the video they showed a ton of times to the public, Songbird won.

If you put in Songbird won into twitter, people are showing the photo and slow gif of Songbird keeping her nose in front the whole time. How the camera is not on the wire in the Breeders Cup is beyond me.

Last edited by tzipi; 11-04-2016 at 08:21 PM.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #168
depalma113

Corona Del Inca breaking down is not what this race needed.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #169
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
From the photo, yes, agree. From the video they showed a ton of times to the public, Songbird won.
Yup...like I said in another thread, if you had a gun to my head, I'd be dead. But instead, I cash.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #170
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yup...like I said in another thread, if you had a gun to my head, I'd be dead. But instead, I cash.
Me too Pace haha. But congrats!
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #171
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
It is an "invalid theory" to believe that people betting on pretty names and daughter's ages can move the needle much at all.

Give me an example of an invalid theory that people are using to make their bets.
You are obviously unaware of all the crazy money bet by large segments of the unsophisticated public at Derby time. That's why you can better prices on the race.

You want an example? How about the theory that horses who finish 2nd in the Derby cannot win the Preakness?
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #172
bobphilo

Quote:

If you put in Songbird won into twitter, people are showing the photo and slow gif of Songbird keeping her nose in front the whole time. How the camera is not on the wire in the Breeders Cup is beyond me.
The only reason the finish was so close is that Songbird actually had the advantage of the head bob. If you look at the photo Beholder's body, saddle and rider were actually more than a head in front.

Actually if Beholder had not gone so wide on both turns she would have won by 4 or 5 lengths. What a great mare to overcome this.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #173
Doza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
The only reason the finish was so close is that Songbird actually had the advantage of the head bob. If you look at the photo Beholder's body, saddle and rider were actually more than a head in front.

Actually if Beholder had not gone so wide on both turns she would have won by 4 or 5 lengths. What a great mare to overcome this.

Beholder wins by 4 or 5 lengths if she wasn't so wide? Maybe 4 or 5 feet, but certainly not lengths. What a great race though!!
Doza is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #174
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza
Beholder wins by 4 or 5 lengths if she wasn't so wide? Maybe 4 or 5 feet, but certainly not lengths. What a great race though!!
According to trakus, she ran 40ft more than Songbird.
At the standard 8ft/length, that's 5 lengths.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #175
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
According to trakus, she ran 40ft more than Songbird.
At the standard 8ft/length, that's 5 lengths.
That's not really a valid extrapolation in this situation, although obviously the trip helped Songbird.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #176
dilanesp

Quote:
The stupid money I was referring to in big races like the Derby is that bet by people who know nothing about racing so they bet the horse with a pretty name or their daughters age.

The other kind of foolish money is that bet those that don't know how to use stats and believe in "race specific" handicapping. This creates betting opportunities for those who know what they're doing.

Yes BC races are very contentious with a lot of unknowns, but avoiding invalid theories makes them more predictable.
There's stupid money in the stock market too. Doesn't negate the efficient markets hypothesis.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #177
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
Memory tends to go as you get older.
3 BC's and an awesome win over colts in the Pacific Classic. There's an argument he is right. Silver Charm is probably the other possibility.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #178
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
3 BC's and an awesome win over colts in the Pacific Classic. There's an argument he is right. Silver Charm is probably the other possibility.
Point Given is the correct answer.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #179
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
Point Given is the correct answer.
Only if you don't care about career accomplishments or the level of competition.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #180
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

Omg. You're really hell bent on dissing Songbird it seems. Maybe it's because you took such a big stand against her, calling her a total toss.

You can't just move horses like blocks based on feet ran. There are too many other variables to consider. Both ran a great race and Beholder wasn't so wide for it to have been significant. Beholder was in the garden spot that her trainer wanted her in, because he understands they're not blocks. For all intents and purposes, both had perfect trips and they were separated by a nose.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 11-04-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply