Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
kevb

Stewart Elliott resumes riding at SA 01/28

Wish him well.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/pe...t-santa-anita/
kevb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Tough jock colony, wish him well

Z
Old 01-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
ebcorde
Veteran

forgot all about him

I gave him congrats at Delaware Park after the 2004 Derby.
they can never take that away from him.

and have hated Jerry Bailey since.

Smarty took Philly over for 5 weeks, then after the Belmont the city's attitude was "geez, even the horse failed to win it all" reference to Eagles, Phillies, Sixers

it was a lot of fun the whole city was talking Smarty Jones..
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
molson721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf
Tough jock colony, wish him well

Z
Really, like it would be easier in NY or Florida?
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde

and have hated Jerry Bailey since.

Late to the party, pal.

Best of luck, Stewart. Remember a couple of Keeneland meets ago, he was tearing it up..at some prices too.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Mandrake
Veteran

I don't understand why everyone is mad at Jerry Bailey. Who is more at fault, the jock that wants to put your horse in the ground, or the rider that allows his horse to be put in the ground? If you are Elliot fans, then obviously the former, however I didn't think he rode such a pristine race. And I wanted Smarty Jones to win because I had a 20 dollar P3 with him singled that was paying very nicely.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
tzipi

Yeah I don't understand the Bailey hatred either?? I think today's world is different. People want things more easily(AP Trip Crown) or want participation trophies. I mean for decades and decades horses went after other horses especially big races. That was the game you have to deal with horses and be the best.

What about Sham in the Belmont? Martin and Pincay purposely went after Sectretariat trying to stay with him and tire him even as Sham was "washed out" in the paddock. They ran unreal fractions and Sec still won. That's racing.
Tons of other horses have gone after other horses in races so they don't get an easy time and easy win. Some of those horses keeping it honest have even won the races numerous times.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Mandrake
Veteran

I agree. I actually had more respect for Frosted when he went after AP and said let's see what you got instead of running his usual race and pick up a piece of the pie.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake
I don't understand why everyone is mad at Jerry Bailey. Who is more at fault, the jock that wants to put your horse in the ground, or the rider that allows his horse to be put in the ground? If you are Elliot fans, then obviously the former, however I didn't think he rode such a pristine race. And I wanted Smarty Jones to win because I had a 20 dollar P3 with him singled that was paying very nicely.

That particular race had nothing to do with my disdain for Bailey. AT Kee years before, I questioned his ride with a few choice words, he gave me a quick flick of the bird, and we've avoided each other ever since.

I wanted SJ to win, but i had no financial stake in the race at all.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Mandrake
Veteran

At least you received a response. He never came across to me as the type of guy to say "yes sir, sorry, I agree with you".
Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
ultracapper

Quote:
And Smarty was easily the best horse in the race. He was full of himself that day and just needed to be handled properly. I don't know if Elliott should have been prepared for the gang up on him or not. No idea if there were whispers in the jock room that the field was going to make it hard on SJ, or if Elliott should have just assumed that they would because that's what they do in horse racing, but it always seemed to me he could have countered whatever was thrown at him simply because he had the better horse and that horse was as ready as he could be. Birdstone was a real nice colt, a deserving graded stakes caliber horse, but he needed every bit of that set up to beat Smarty Jones that day.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
At least you received a response. He never came across to me as the type of guy to say "yes sir, sorry, I agree with you".

Wasn't one of my finer moments--too many beers--and in fairness, his response was justified.

Admittedly, my disdain subsided tremendously after watching an interview he did after Cigar passed.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Mandrake
Veteran

I would never compare Stewart Elliot to the Ronnie Franklin's of the world, but of all the TC races, I think the jockeys have to know the intricacies of the Belmont track over the other two, and you really can't make any mistakes, especially premature ones. Desormeaux stills blames himself for moving too soon and that horse lost by a coat of paint.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Mandrake
Veteran

Real Quiet, that is.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
ebcorde
Veteran

I think he has a good shot

to win race 4
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply