Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: If I had a vote for 2010 Horse of the Year, it would go to:
Blame 126 46.49%
Zenyatta 145 53.51%
Voters: 271. This poll is closed

Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #91
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Ron
Now, speaking of "trolls"...
Naw, he's just a crazy uncle we let use the computer when he's been behaving himself.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #92
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:
Big Z fan, but have no problem if the voters go with Blame.

Hell, at least he would be a HUGE improvement over last year's selection.

If I was a Blame fan, tho, I wouldn't be pounding my chest too hard.

He had everything going for himself going into the BCC (age, sex, home track advantages ... and got a better trip in the race, to boot), but still only managed to hold off the great Cali mare by mere inches.

Kinda embarrassing for the top older male, actually...
Baddah Bing...Baddah Bang...another coveted Amen Bruddah award given this Holiday season.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #93
thorobasePA

Quote:
...2. Really don't mean to diss the Blamester as I thought he was a rock-solid G1 performer which would be a deserving HotY ... just that over a classic distance of ground top-flight older males are supposed to handle 6yo mares a bit easier than by a diminishing head.

Of course, more than anything, that result spoke volumes about Z's tremendous heart and ability ... and I suspect her legend will only grow as the years go by.
How can you denigrate Blame for only just beating Zenyatta and then praise Zenyatta for her tremendous ability and legendary status?

We call that a non sequitur.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #94
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Now, speaking of "trolls"...
Aw, shug...c'mon now - let's laugh a little! No use taking ourselves too darned seriously! Besides, I betcha if you took it down a notch or two and didn't flail around so wildly while stumbling through the door, you prolly wouldn't attract the negative vibes.

I digress with reckless abandon. No hard feelings, yo.

*Behaving myself? Pfft. Where's the fun?

Last edited by BluegrassProf; 12-08-2010 at 03:27 PM.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #95
DJofSD
Screw PC

Oh, I'd say about now.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #96
tzipi

Zens did her thing but Blame ran in the top races all year and beat Zenyatta in the BC Classic. How could it go any other way??
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #97
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
Baddah Bing...Baddah Bang...another coveted Amen Bruddah award given this Holiday season.
How do you know that your "Amen Bruddah" is coveted?

Just wondering.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #98
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wow, this vote is starting to look like the race itself a few weeks ago...big Z is closing like a tremendous machine...will Blame have enough to hold on?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #99
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Wow, this vote is starting to look like the race itself a few weeks ago...big Z is closing like a tremendous machine...will Blame have enough to hold on?
Time to close the polls?
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #100
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
This is un-bee-lee-va-bull!

(You do realize that for the first three days of the poll, the button for Zenyatta did not work, so she could not get all the votes counted?)

Last edited by Tom; 12-09-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #101
Relwob Owner

Quote:

Stillriledup has been suspiciously quiet....my theory about him getting all his friends and family and probably strangers as well to sign up and vote could have some validity....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #102
dccprez

Quote:
1. RA was a "horrible choice", in my opinion, given the fact that there was an outstanding older horse in the mix for the award.

However, she was a less "horrible" selection than the baby horse they crowned back in '97 ... if that makes RA lovers feel better.

2. Really don't mean to diss the Blamester as I thought he was a rock-solid G1 performer which would be a deserving HotY ... just that over a classic distance of ground top-flight older males are supposed to handle 6yo mares a bit easier than by a diminishing head.

Of course, more than anything, that result spoke volumes about Z's tremendous heart and ability ... and I suspect her legend will only grow as the years go by.
I LOVE this!

Can't find a way around the facts? NO PROBLEM!!

My hair hurts from this...but nevertheless;

1. Seriously?!?! Really...SERIOUSLY?!?! You're invoking a reference to a 13 year old vote?!?! Really?!?! Like that has ANY relevance insofar as the HOY voting last year.

WOW! I had no idea that the supporters were that desperate...

I, for one, am tired of having to defend RA as last year's "HOY" - because there neededn't be any defending! Did Zen do more last year than RA? No. Did she do nearly as much in winning the BCC? Yes. But it was "nearly"...and the voters determined that the (historic!) body of work that RA put up was, to a degree, better than Zen's. End. Of. Discussion.

Yeah, it totally sucks that Zen may never be recognized as HOY. But that is the nature of the beast; it is Horse of the YEAR, not "Horse of the Career".

And the voters are supposed to go for a lesser OLDER horse over a more accomplished three year old?? Really?? Since when? And...WHY? It is HORSE OF THE YEAR, not "Only If It Is And OLDER Horse of the YEAR" award.

Or was Secretariat not deserving as a three year old? Point Given (for more recent fans)? And the list goes on (and the hits just keep on coming...)

RA was a well deserving winner last year. Even the detractors agree that if it wasn't going to be Zen then it had to be RA.

So please, really, begging you...GET OVER IT and move on. Good LORD, you aren't going to MARRY Zenyatta!....or are you?? Hmmmm...

2. Wait...uh...what??? So let's get this straight; she lost because she was supposed to lose? And by that logic it justifies diminishing Blame's victory because, well, hey! he was SUPPOSED to beat a mare....

...are you KIDDING me?!?

There's nothing even to debate here. This is...well, ludicrous "logic" (and I apologize for even using that word in reference to this position). I mean consider this, by extension;
- If Blame wins then he should be beating a mare. So he only gets "partial credit".
Seriously?!? I thought that it was about the best horses racing against one another. Winner take All.
I mean I don't see any of the other mares that lost to Zen complaining about her being the largest horse in the field. Should the mares that ran second to her ask for the first place purse money because, well, hey, they were at a disadvantage because of Zenyatta's size! "There's no way we could have kept her at bay down the stretch because she's just too big!!"

Puh-eeezee.

Zen got beaten by a horse that ran better that day. Maybe she beats Blame 7 out of 10...but they only ran ONCE.

And that - and that ALONE - is all that anyone can use as a benchmark - IF they are voting based on facts.

So all in all, I enjoyed this post. I love to see the overly-emotional try to rationalize. As a consolation perhaps we can come up with a "Horse of the Decade" award which I am certain that Zen would win without exception. Hell, I'D vote for her in a heartbeat!!!
dccprez is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #103
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
I'm surprised the vote is this close. Thought Blame would have a comfortable lead in this poll. Hmmmm.....
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #104
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccprez
I LOVE this!

Can't find a way around the facts? NO PROBLEM!!

My hair hurts from this...but nevertheless;

1. Seriously?!?! Really...SERIOUSLY?!?! You're invoking a reference to a 13 year old vote?!?! Really?!?! Like that has ANY relevance insofar as the HOY voting last year.

WOW! I had no idea that the supporters were that desperate...

I, for one, am tired of having to defend RA as last year's "HOY" - because there neededn't be any defending! Did Zen do more last year than RA? No. Did she do nearly as much in winning the BCC? Yes. But it was "nearly"...and the voters determined that the (historic!) body of work that RA put up was, to a degree, better than Zen's. End. Of. Discussion.

Yeah, it totally sucks that Zen may never be recognized as HOY. But that is the nature of the beast; it is Horse of the YEAR, not "Horse of the Career".

And the voters are supposed to go for a lesser OLDER horse over a more accomplished three year old?? Really?? Since when? And...WHY? It is HORSE OF THE YEAR, not "Only If It Is And OLDER Horse of the YEAR" award.

Or was Secretariat not deserving as a three year old? Point Given (for more recent fans)? And the list goes on (and the hits just keep on coming...)

RA was a well deserving winner last year. Even the detractors agree that if it wasn't going to be Zen then it had to be RA.

So please, really, begging you...GET OVER IT and move on. Good LORD, you aren't going to MARRY Zenyatta!....or are you?? Hmmmm...

2. Wait...uh...what??? So let's get this straight; she lost because she was supposed to lose? And by that logic it justifies diminishing Blame's victory because, well, hey! he was SUPPOSED to beat a mare....

...are you KIDDING me?!?

There's nothing even to debate here. This is...well, ludicrous "logic" (and I apologize for even using that word in reference to this position). I mean consider this, by extension;
- If Blame wins then he should be beating a mare. So he only gets "partial credit".
Seriously?!? I thought that it was about the best horses racing against one another. Winner take All.
I mean I don't see any of the other mares that lost to Zen complaining about her being the largest horse in the field. Should the mares that ran second to her ask for the first place purse money because, well, hey, they were at a disadvantage because of Zenyatta's size! "There's no way we could have kept her at bay down the stretch because she's just too big!!"

Puh-eeezee.

Zen got beaten by a horse that ran better that day. Maybe she beats Blame 7 out of 10...but they only ran ONCE.

And that - and that ALONE - is all that anyone can use as a benchmark - IF they are voting based on facts.

So all in all, I enjoyed this post. I love to see the overly-emotional try to rationalize. As a consolation perhaps we can come up with a "Horse of the Decade" award which I am certain that Zen would win without exception. Hell, I'D vote for her in a heartbeat!!!

So well put. Great post
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #105
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I'm surprised the vote is this close. Thought Blame would have a comfortable lead in this poll. Hmmmm.....
DRF has a poll too...and Zenyatta is leading Blame by a mile (I beleive more handicappers than 'just' fans use DRF's site...I may be wrong about that.)

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply