Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #31
bdownes

Zenyatta goes undefeated in 2009, wins the BC Classic, and doesn't get HOY.

Zenyatta loses for the first time in 2010 in easily her most diffucult race and now people want to give her HOY. I don't get it. I was on the Zenyatta HOY bandwagon last year. I wish she would have won the BC this year.

The sport has a championship day in the Breeders Cup! Whats the purpose of the BC if when there are two worthy candidates for a divisional honor or HOY and the one beats the other and u give the losing horse the title?
bdownes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
netbet

The Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa home run chase also captured a nations attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
"Which horse promoted more interest in racing this year and captured a nations attention?" has to be a part of the equation in determining HOY.
netbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I have been saying this argument was going to be raised for some time now and its illogical nature when considered with what was said last year pro Zenyatta. She is without a doubt a Hall of Famer. That is a career achievement. But she did not win the year. Had she tried the SA Handicap, Hollywood Gold Cup and Pacific Classic, of which I bet she would have won 2 of them though likely would have lost 1, and then lost a nose to Blame, I would say she deserved it. But 5 poor quality race wins and a nose lost in one good one doesn't make it.

Goldikova will win Turf Female again btw. There should be no controversy this year, though Turf Male is a bit of a mess.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #34
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
And when people vote for the greatest horses of the 21st century, Zenyatta will be ranked ahead of both of them, and that will be correct, too.
Keep hangin' on, tough li'l kitten...now's really not the time.

The 2010 winner is clear by a handful of standards. Blame is HotY - see any number of posts immediately supra.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #35
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassProf
Keep hangin' on, tough li'l kitten...now's really not the time.

The 2010 winner is clear by a handful of standards. Blame is HotY - see any number of posts immediately supra.
I know; I've posted myself at least three times that Blame should be HoY, including the post from which you extracted that line out of context.

Of course, the quote that you did extract is true by itself.

And finally, you set the standard here when it comes to condescension. Over and over and over. This will be the first and last time I will reply to a post of yours because I don't have any use for the way you go about things.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #36
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Zenyatta must be Horse of the Year by Ed Fountaine

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...vrEHz9yqPiZNMM
"Zenyatta should be Horse of the Year, and anyone who can't see that is a chowderhead."

Against erudite, well reasoned arguments such as this the whole world must bend it's knee.

FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #37
BluegrassProf

Good gosh, RBX...my apologies. I meant no serious harm. Promise!

I'll surely self-police from here on out. By all means, carry on.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Wrong. Not me.
Big Brown???? I was rooting to run him, his trainer, and his jock out of town on a rail!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I still say LAL is a better HOY than Blame.
But, seeing how whoever is HOY puts money in my pocket, I could care less.

Blame has already cemented his legacy as a Trivial Pursuit question?

"Who was the horse who beat the Mighty Zenyatta in the Breeder's Cup, to deny her retiring undefeated?"
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #40
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdownes
Zenyatta goes undefeated in 2009, wins the BC Classic, and doesn't get HOY.

Zenyatta loses for the first time in 2010 in easily her most diffucult race and now people want to give her HOY. I don't get it. I was on the Zenyatta HOY bandwagon last year. I wish she would have won the BC this year.

The sport has a championship day in the Breeders Cup! Whats the purpose of the BC if when there are two worthy candidates for a divisional honor or HOY and the one beats the other and u give the losing horse the title?

Because last year, there was a horse who has a once in a lifetime campaign. No such horse this year to stand in Z's way. Remember, Z lost by a whisker last year in the voting to the best 3 year old filly we've ever seen and the most accomplished. Rachel did things that Ruffian never did, that's why Z lost. This year, there's no 'once in a lifetime horse' standing in her way.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #41
oddsmaven

many Z fans not hesitant to stand turn logic upsidedown

Not a surprise to hear excuses in this game, but it's reaching a ridiculous level with such a popular horse..even some of the writers are being silly...Z's fans are sure willing to throw objectivity completely out the window.

Zenyetta was impressive, but they give Blame no credit for digging in and holding her off...about a sixteeth out, she had enough momentum and time to collar Blame, but Blame was too strong.

Now some want to give her the award because they also want to count races from other years for HOY 2010

That the JCGC counts as much as the BC Classic

That a head victory doesn't really count - I guess you have to win by open lengths

That restricted Grade I's are as important as open Grade I's

And Zenyatta should be given HOY because she had too much dirt kicked in her face. Yeah, that's convincing.

Last edited by oddsmaven; 11-08-2010 at 02:27 PM.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #42
andymays
Veteran

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...s-through-roof

Excerpt:

The television rating of the final hour of the Saturday ESPN-TV telecast of the Breeders’ Cup this year was nearly triple that of the television rating last year, according to figures provided by ESPN on Monday.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #43
cpitt84

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...s-through-roof

Excerpt:

The television rating of the final hour of the Saturday ESPN-TV telecast of the Breeders’ Cup this year was nearly triple that of the television rating last year, according to figures provided by ESPN on Monday.
that's great to hear!

I hope the Mosses know this and realize how important Zenyatta is for this sport. Race her one more year!!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #44
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Because last year, there was a horse who has a once in a lifetime campaign. No such horse this year to stand in Z's way. Remember, Z lost by a whisker last year in the voting to the best 3 year old filly we've ever seen and the most accomplished. Rachel did things that Ruffian never did, that's why Z lost. This year, there's no 'once in a lifetime horse' standing in her way.
You really need to stop saying this. In your first post she lost by "an eyelash"
and now by "a whisker" dream on. She lost by over 30 votes out of 232 cast.
I am no math scholar, but that comes up about 15% short in the voting.

I get it.......that was the first time she lost by a head............
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #45
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
[snip]...Z's one loss was much more impressive than Blames one loss, wouldnt' you agree?
And her five fraudulent Grade 1 wins were about as impressive as allowance races at Turfway Park while his wins were achieved against the best Grade 1-quality males in the U.S. The highlight of her season before the Classic was narrowly defeating two sprinting fillies that were 20-1 on the BC F&M Sprint morning line and she didn't win a singe race all year that had another 2010 Grade 1 winner in it. Giving her the award would be criminal...and IMO it would highlight the intellectual dishonesty that seems to permeate the industry.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply