Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I can say with confidence that once you put a cop in a position where he feels compelled to shoot you, he isn't taking the time to decide what race you are and whether or not he should shoot you because your black. He's just saving his and others asses at that point. The color of some dudes skin is the furthest thing from their mind.
Exactly right.

This reminds me of the bullshit charges made about police radar years back. "Red cars get more tickets" "corvettes get more tickets" shit like that.

Officers don't even know what kind or color a car is until the radar has already clocked or caught the attention of the officer. In most situations. Then an officer makes note of the type and color for pursuit purposes.

Same in possible shooting situations. It's the actions of the suspect that dictate a reaction from an officer. Cops don't have the luxury of thinking "oh this is a white guy" or "this is a black guy"
Before shooting or using force. They react to perceived threats.
The rest of the info is compiled after
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Exactly right.
This reminds me of the bullshit charges made about police radar years back. "Red cars get more tickets" "corvettes get more tickets" shit like that.
What about before radar or other speed guns were widely used and officers actually patrolled the highways instead of laying in wait? I live in Virginia where cops with speed guns are very prevalent, you rarely see a cop patrolling the roads here, they are usually parked either with a speed gun or writing a ticket.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
thaskalos

Perhaps the focus of this Harvard study was misguided from the very start. It should have investigated the race implications in the Police shootings where the victim was UNARMED.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Perhaps the focus of this Harvard study was misguided from the very start. It should have investigated the race implications in the Police shootings where the victim was UNARMED.
What is the liberal definition of unarmed? The liberal media has defined people who were bashing someone's head in to concrete, someone trying to take a policeman's gun, and someone trying to run people over with a car as UNARMED.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
What is the liberal definition of unarmed? The liberal media has defined people who were bashing someone's head in to concrete, someone trying to take a policeman's gun, and someone trying to run people over with a car as UNARMED.
My definition of an "unarmed shooting" is when the victim is shot by a cop while having no weapon on his/her person. I would like to know what percentage-relationship there is between black and white victims in such cases.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-13-2017 at 02:44 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #21
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Good thing she had her I.D.

I wonder how this will turn out?

Quote:
On the evening of June 19, Orlando police pulled over a white Ford Fusion with tinted windows. Inside was Aramis Ayala, Florida’s first and only African American state attorney — a fact that the two officers who stopped her apparently didn’t know. ...
Sorry, the link below appears that one needs a subscription but the article is currently on Google news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1ae35694702f

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 07-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #22
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
What about before radar or other speed guns were widely used and officers actually patrolled the highways instead of laying in wait? I live in Virginia where cops with speed guns are very prevalent, you rarely see a cop patrolling the roads here, they are usually parked either with a speed gun or writing a ticket.
Different kettle of fish. Btw, good departments don't "lay in wait"
You can run radar while patrolling. I wasn't big on traffic tickets, but I used to teach radar and intoxilyzer courses. One point I always made was "laying in wait" either for speed violations or drunk drivers coming out of the "entertainment districts" was bad PR. But of course most departments were led by people who thought differently. School zones might be the exception
Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Different kettle of fish. Btw, good departments don't "lay in wait"
You can run radar while patrolling. I wasn't big on traffic tickets, but I used to teach radar and intoxilyzer courses. One point I always made was "laying in wait" either for speed violations or drunk drivers coming out of the "entertainment districts" was bad PR. But of course most departments were led by people who thought differently. School zones might be the exception
Problem is with laying in wait in the common areas for that practice on our highways it eliminates catching the most unsafe drivers on the road. The tailgaters, chronic lane swappers, people weaving while texting, etc,etc don't get caught without patrolling. Most times the officer sits in a paved pass thru for "official vehicles only" in a heavily wooded center divider, his field of vision is severely limited. In my opinion it isn't about public safety it is about revenue collection. A pack of cars well spaced doing 7 mph over in the left hand lane on a clear sunny day isn't near the hazard as the above mentioned, yet they are the only ones cited. Of course the speeders are easy pickings, pretty sure they aren't catching locals.

Coming from California, Virginia is a strange place for law enforcement, rural areas in Cali have officers covering large beats. The neighboring county has a sheriff's employee every two square miles and a lot of it is farmland, woods, and houses that are 1/4 mile apart or more. I see more officers here in the rural areas than I see if I go to the large cities.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-14-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #24
Valuist

The denominator should not be a particular race's % of the population, but their % of violent crime committed.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #25
MONEY

Quote:
Problem is with laying in wait in the common areas for that practice on our highways it eliminates catching the most unsafe drivers on the road. The tailgaters, chronic lane swappers, people weaving while texting, etc,etc don't get caught without patrolling. Most times the officer sits in a paved pass thru for "official vehicles only" in a heavily wooded center divider, his field of vision is severely limited. In my opinion it isn't about public safety it is about revenue collection. A pack of cars well spaced doing 7 mph over in the left hand lane on a clear sunny day isn't near the hazard as the above mentioned, yet they are the only ones cited. Of course the speeders are easy pickings, pretty sure they aren't catching locals.

Coming from California, Virginia is a strange place for law enforcement, rural areas in Cali have officers covering large beats. The neighboring county has a sheriff's employee every two square miles and a lot of it is farmland, woods, and houses that are 1/4 mile apart or more. I see more officers here in the rural areas than I see if I go to the large cities.
The "laying in wait" is not for catching speeders, even though speeders do get caught.
The main reason for laying in wait is to get drivers to slow down, now and in the future.
I'm sure many of you have sped by police cars parked on the highway and you immediately slow down
and think "OH CRAP" I'm going to get a ticket. Then to your surprise the police car doesn't leave it's position.
In the near future whenever drive near that same spot, you will slow down.

There aren't more police in rural areas than in urban areas.
The police in rural areas have many less roads to patrol, so it seems that there are cops everywhere,
simply because to get around you have to use the same limited roads that the police have to use.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
The "laying in wait" is not for catching speeders, even though speeders do get caught.
The main reason for laying in wait is to get drivers to slow down, now and in the future.
I'm sure many of you have sped by police cars parked on the highway and you immediately slow down
and think "OH CRAP" I'm going to get a ticket. Then to your surprise the police car doesn't leave it's position.

The police in rural areas have many less roads to patrol, so it seems that there are cops everywhere,
simply because to get around you have to use the same limited roads that the police have to use.
to some degree that's probably quite true. one of the biggest reasons now days for them to be pulled over/parked is so they can do their reports on their computers. You can be out making a presence and doing your book work at the same time now days.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Believe what you want, I just drive 4 mph over through the laying in wait area, more often than not when someone passes me like they are doing close to 10 over soon the man flies past me and pulls them over. Also I have not whizzed by a parked cop and not got a ticket, I don't speed through cherry patch central. Where you live it may be different, here it is all about writing tickets. As for having a lot of officers patrolling rural areas I got the numbers off the sheriff's website. I wasn't making them up.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:

When a cop is "laying in wait" in a dark, obscure street-corner at midnight...what sort of speed-race is he anticipating?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
When a cop is "laying in wait" in a dark, obscure street-corner at midnight...what sort of speed-race is he anticipating?
If he is working midnight shift, he most likely has a whole different reason for sitting where he sits at midnight
Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
thaskalos

Quote:
If he is working midnight shift, he most likely has a whole different reason for sitting where he sits at midnight
Could be.

Just like that cop the other night...who tail-gated me for 30 blocks at midnight as I was driving home from the gym...while I was the only car on the street, in a no-crime neighborhood. Or that other cop...who visited my home at 3 AM, to ticket my car on my driveway because I was late in purchasing my city sticker.

When the cops work in quiet suburbs...they have to occupy themselves SOMEHOW.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-14-2017 at 03:29 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply