Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Why are jockey agents only allowed to represent 2 jockeys?

Does it have to do with preventing corruption and or colusion? My cousin who owns several race horses says an agents job is pretty stressful and they are pulled in many directions. He also said i would make a great agent because im an awesome salesperson. I would just want to represent more then 2.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Does it have to do with preventing corruption and or colusion? My cousin who owns several race horses says an agents job is pretty stressful and they are pulled in many directions. He also said i would make a great agent because im an awesome salesperson. I would just want to represent more then 2.
The rules are written to avoid one agent from being able to control which races are carded and which one aren't.

Also having more than 2 would give that agent an unfair edge with regard to restricting business for the others.

Very few jockeys will allow their agent to have more than two riders. In fact at the top tracks most riders don't want their agent to have more than one.

When I had Rosario then picked up Martin Garcia it's what ultimately lead to me being fired by Joel.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Joel Rosario is one of my gf and i favorite riders during Saratoga meet. We have a few selfies with him... of course initiated by her. Anyway one agent we bumped into last year wasnt very pleasant. I was in awe when i saw Angel Cordero standing alone near a food booth. As i approached with my GF he waved us
off as if to say no i dont want to talk to you. Ive
heard he is not the most personable of sorts. He was Johnny V’s agent last i knew.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
The rules are written to avoid one agent from being able to control which races are carded and which one aren't.

Also having more than 2 would give that agent an unfair edge with regard to restricting business for the others.

Very few jockeys will allow their agent to have more than two riders. In fact at the top tracks most riders don't want their agent to have more than one.

When I had Rosario then picked up Martin Garcia it's what ultimately lead to me being fired by Joel.
Makes for kind of a low income doesn’t..? I mean only 10% of the jocks are making any kind of real dough...and isn’t what the agent makes a percentage of the jocks 10%...?

But I guess an agent could theoretically supplement his income betting using his inside knowledge to some advantage...

...maybe the agent’s other job is Pick 6 Wagering...? Now tell me that doesn't go on much...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
the little guy

Quote:
I was in awe when i saw Angel Cordero standing alone near a food booth. As i approached with my GF he waved us
heard he is not the most personable of sorts.
He was Johnny V’s agent last i knew.

Please stop making things up on this board. This could not be further from the truth.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Some jurisdictions allow 3 riders, 2 journeyman and 1 apprentice.

Tonyk
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #7
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Makes for kind of a low income doesn’t..? I mean only 10% of the jocks are making any kind of real dough...and isn’t what the agent makes a percentage of the jocks 10%...?

But I guess an agent could theoretically supplement his income betting using his inside knowledge to some advantage...

...maybe the agent’s other job is Pick 6 Wagering...? Now tell me that doesn't go on much...
I'm not quite sure what you consider "real" dough but by my standards a lot more than 10% of them are making pretty good $$$.

Agents are paid 25% "off the top". What that means is 25% before taxes and what's taken out if they're a member of the Jockey's Guild.

Are agents betting? I assume many do like most of us. However, when I was an agent my handle decreased quite a bit. I never saw a reason to bet. I had a rooting interest in each race and couldn't lose $$$. If he got nothing I didn't lose anything. If he won I made money.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 09-07-2018 at 12:56 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #8
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Please stop making things up on this board. This could not be further from the truth.
The guy said that's what he "heard"! He's not allow to pass that on? Maybe it's true or maybe it's not. But he's not "making up" anything.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:38 AM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I'm not quite sure what you consider "real" dough but by my standards a lot more than 10% of them are making pretty good $$$.

Agents are paid 25% "off the top". What that means is 25% before taxes and what's taken out if they're a member of the Jockey's Guild.

Are agents betting? I assume many do like most of us. However, when I was an agent my handle decreased quite a bit. I never saw a reason to bet. I had a rooting interest in each race and couldn't lose $$$. If he got nothing I didn't lose anything. If he won I made money.
25% is real good pay considering...it is just that if you scan down jockey colony rosters against earnings there is a definite drop-off in wins/ earnings after, say, 8 or 10 jocks...it is probably one of those 20/80 things so common, that is, 20% of the agents are making 80% of the money...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-07-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It would have been easier to post.

" Hey everybody I know Angel Cordero "
Old 09-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
ClockersCorner

Looking at 2018 YTD earnings of mounts: 35 riders are on track to hit $6 million.

At 10%, split 75/25 between jockey and agent, that's $150,000 for the agent.

I've heard that 8% is a better number when looking at percent of mounts total earnings however.
ClockersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Joel Rosario is one of my gf and i favorite riders during Saratoga meet. We have a few selfies with him... of course initiated by her. Anyway one agent we bumped into last year wasnt very pleasant. I was in awe when i saw Angel Cordero standing alone near a food booth. As i approached with my GF he waved us
heard he is not the most personable of sorts. He was Johnny V’s agent last i knew.
While I have only been around Cordero a couple of times he was awesome to be around, the stories were never ending and he was very personable. There could have been a very good reason why he was not able to talk at that moment.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockersCorner View Post
Looking at 2018 YTD earnings of mounts: 35 riders are on track to hit $6 million.

I've heard that 8% is a better number when looking at percent of mounts total earnings however.
Its not 10% for all races, its usually 10% for wins and 5% for other winnings.

You usually get 10% if you travel for the race regardless if its a win or other placing.

So I have been told.

Remember there is no insurance or pension plan, you have to pay all your taxes yourself. Also the lifestyle can be expensive. Lot taken out of that 150k quoted.

I am sure its lucrative but may not be the windfall that it sounds.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockersCorner View Post

In 2017, only 50 jockeys out of 1350 earned $3,000,000, or more in purses, so the agents representing the other 1,000 jockeys are making $75,000 gross or less per rider. If he has 2 jockeys that might be ok for some..

..but many agents must make a whole lot less...at some point though...I would imagine that many jockeys do not even have agents...

..if they don’t make much themselves, why would either one of them bother....don’t know for sure, just speculating...
Old 09-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Because there are 50 more guys named Ortiz running around NY