Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #1
Thomas Roulston

Does Belmont Park Have Heat Now?

I'm asking because I remember when I attended the Breeders' Cup at Belmont in 1990. The temperature was 34 degrees, with a wind chill of like 10.

That ruined the whole day for me - never mind the fact that I was all in on Izvestia, who finished sixth from the rail. Unbridled won the race from post !

I'm thinking of going to Belmont when their meet opens on May 4.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
I'm asking because I remember when I attended the Breeders' Cup at Belmont in 1990. The temperature was 34 degrees, with a wind chill of like 10.

That ruined the whole day for me - never mind the fact that I was all in on Izvestia, who finished sixth from the rail. Unbridled won the race from post !

I'm thinking of going to Belmont when their meet opens on May 4.
A "winterized" grandstand (i.e. including HEAT) is one of the key elements/drivers of the upcoming Belmont reconstruct/rebuild. One of the resulting outcomes will be the ability to hold a more patron-friendly Breeders' Cup if there are adverse weather conditions.

Of course, once the grandstand is redone and the BC comes back, the next few BCs at Belmont will be held on idyllic mid-fall days that would have been fine with the current grandstand - because that's how things go!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
Thomas Roulston

That's awesome news. Thanks.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
A "winterized" grandstand (i.e. including HEAT) is one of the key elements/drivers of the upcoming Belmont reconstruct/rebuild. One of the resulting outcomes will be the ability to hold a more patron-friendly Breeders' Cup if there are adverse weather conditions.

Of course, once the grandstand is redone and the BC comes back, the next few BCs at Belmont will be held on idyllic mid-fall days that would have been fine with the current grandstand - because that's how things go!
That assumes the BC comes back.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That assumes the BC comes back.
It is coming back.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It is coming back.
It's funny because NYRA put out a big splashy press release saying that- and then nobody could get the BC to confirm it.

I'll believe it when they actually announce it (and TBC maybe they will). There's plenty of excellent reasons for the BC to stay out of New York.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
It's funny because NYRA put out a big splashy press release saying that- and then nobody could get the BC to confirm it.

I'll believe it when they actually announce it (and TBC maybe they will). There's plenty of excellent reasons for the BC to stay out of New York.
Seriously? Is there nothing you know nothing about that you can't wait to opine on?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Seriously? Is there nothing you know nothing about that you can't wait to opine on?
As I said, I'm waiting for your organization- which did such a lousy job at getting people to the Breeders' Cup that they boycotted you for NINETEEN YEARS AND COUNTING- to actually win a bid for the Breeders' Cup. Meanwhile racing associations in Kentucky and California have no problems winning bids to host the BC because we put on a better show than your bosses do.

When they actually announce it- I mean the Breeders' Cup, not a phony, too early press release from NYRA- I will congratulate NYRA on its unimpressive accomplishment.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:20 PM   #9
Profesor

Quote:
As I said, I'm waiting for your organization- which did such a lousy job at getting people to the Breeders' Cup that they boycotted you for NINETEEN YEARS AND COUNTING- to actually win a bid for the Breeders' Cup. Meanwhile racing associations in Kentucky and California have no problems winning bids to host the BC because we put on a better show than your bosses do.

When they actually announce it- I mean the Breeders' Cup, not a phony, too early press release from NYRA- I will congratulate NYRA on its unimpressive accomplishment.
👍👍👍
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #10
the little guy

Three thumbs up from the "profesor" is nothing to be proud of.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #11
shout1966

king umbertos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Three thumbs up from the "profesor" is nothing to be proud of.

pass on a thank you to anthony stabile the place is amazing
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
ScottJ

Quote:

Why bring such vitriol pointed at NYRA to the discussion? If anyone does not like the product, the people, the facility, the sport, or any of the other elements from the gambling to the ownership game, spend your discretionary income elsewhere.

The discussions between NYRA and the Breeder's Cup have been covered by many media sources including the following from November 2022.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...er-to-reality/

The Belmont reconstruction project ($455M) will continue to move forward over the next several months resulting in a new facility in three (to five) years.

Last edited by ScottJ; 03-13-2023 at 01:02 PM.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2023, 01:06 PM   #13
NTamm1215

Quote:

What is “the show”? Do you understand how the Breeders’ Cup works? Do you understand what host tracks often get for hosting the event?

It’s remarkable how often you speak authoritatively on things you know absolutely nothing about.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #14
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
What is “the show”? Do you understand how the Breeders’ Cup works? Do you understand what host tracks often get for hosting the event?

It’s remarkable how often you speak authoritatively on things you know absolutely nothing about.
I'm certain I've read a couple articles (not the one linked above, though) where it's been stated that BC deals, at the end of the day, leave the host tracks not much better than a break-even situation.

Am I imagining that?
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2023, 03:21 PM   #15
PalaceOfFortLarned

Belmont turf racing it the best we have in the states.

Can't wait.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply