Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #481
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What comes out? I don't think his losses should be expunged. I simply said if he was carefully managed he could have won every start. I'm presuming he'd be managed the way horses like Flightline & Life is Good were handled. That might even preclude him from winning the Triple Crown or ever running on the grass.

Isn't that the most obvious one of his "frequent" losses that he should have won considering the amount of traffic & trouble he found himself in?

You do this for a living, right?

Didn't I mention something about him wheeling back in the Marlboro Cup "on the heels of an illness"?

Huh? I guess the turf could be characterized as "forgiving" based on its condition the days he worked on it, but it is not a subjective comment to state that Secretariat worked twice on the turf (4f & one mile) in the 2-week period between the Marlboro Cup & the Woodward. That's a fact.

It's also well-documented that Secretariat was entered in the Woodward in place of Riva Ridge when the forecast turned against the mud-hating older horse.

Thanks.
On second thought, might respond if I get time. Tx.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-09-2022 at 12:34 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #482
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
IDK if Secretariat sired any "great" horses (that's obviously a debate), but he sired a horse of the year and certainly one of the best racemares of the 1980's, Lady's Secret, and sired Risen Star, who was one hell of a 3 year old and who might have even won the TC with some better luck and a better post position in the Derby. He did sire General Assembly, who was a very nice horse, as you noted. Terlingua was another really nice one from the same era as General Assembly. And he excelled as a sire of broodmares, although the specifics of this would probably be best left to one of our breeding experts such as Spalding No!

That said, you are absolutely right that there's considerable guesswork in the breeding industry. A very nice example of that was Citation, who really was one of the greatest American racehorses of the 20th Century (in fact, if he hadn't run into another top horse, Noor, as a 5 year old, he might be recognized as the GOAT), and who was absolutely royally bred (Bull Lea from a Hyperion mare; in the 1940's, it didn't get any better than that), but was never the sire his owners at Calumet Farm hoped him to be.

And meanwhile there are other horses like Cee's Tizzy who weren't thought of as anything when they started their stud career and turned out to be wonderful sires. You never know for sure.
War Emblem. The poster boy for “retired means retired”
Old 11-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #483
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Might respond if I get time. Tx .
Spalding nailed Secretariat's career (which I remember) - love your Mountaineer commentary, but you have an uphill battle here
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #484
The Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
War Emblem. The poster boy for “retired means retired”

Haha. One of the all time jerks. Didn't get along with anybody, not even the mares
The Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #485
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
Spalding nailed Secretariat's career (which I remember) - love your Mountaineer commentary, but you have an uphill battle here
Tx. Well, he did COVER the entire career. But the validity of ALL those excuses will be revisited. Or maybe not. Little desire to put the work in. Plus, it has already veered off into word semantics-which entails WAY too much effort.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-09-2022 at 01:42 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2022, 07:29 PM   #486
PalaceOfFortLarned

Flightline stud fee set at $200K

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #487
paulbenny

THE EUROPEANS

I would opt for one of the European runners recognizing the pound is around the dollar these days. Regardless of that, they have a purer run over there and I trust it more.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #488
azeri98

Quote:
If you imagine Flightline having a career like an old-time horse (let's say Affirmed, with 29 starts), you wouldn't simply be worried about "losing a race" (although I do think "losing a race" might be more costly than you are positing). You'd be worried about multiple losses, a decline in form, etc. The path of least resistance is to establish a horse's breeding value and then retire immediately, and that is what we are seeing.
You keep comparing everything to the 70's times have changed. Horses don't race 30 times in a career anymore unless they are claimers or geldings. Flightline has never been tested and racing one more year wouldn't prove anything because other trainers wouldn't want to face him. He would be running in 5 horse fields against overmatched horses. Horse owners can make a lot more money on stud fees than on the track. Not to mention the insurance rates for horses as valuable as Flightline. His initial stud fee is set at $200,000. If he sires 100 foals which is a low estimate. That's $20 million. He can't make that on the track
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #489
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
You keep comparing everything to the 70's times have changed. Horses don't race 30 times in a career anymore unless they are claimers or geldings. Flightline has never been tested and racing one more year wouldn't prove anything because other trainers wouldn't want to face him. He would be running in 5 horse fields against overmatched horses. Horse owners can make a lot more money on stud fees than on the track. Not to mention the insurance rates for horses as valuable as Flightline. His initial stud fee is set at $200,000. If he sires 100 foals which is a low estimate. That's $20 million. He can't make that on the track
Nobody doubts the economics.

But it's silly to say he would be running in 5 horse fields. We used to have this thing called handicap races....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #490
BarchCapper

Quote:
His initial stud fee is set at $200,000. If he sires 100 foals which is a low estimate. That's $20 million. He can't make that on the track
Quality Road who was $150K last year at Lane's End and is going to be $200K this coming year, bred 156 mares last year. That's probably a good ballpark number. So the economics are understandable, if disappointing.

That said, it's still sad that a Tapit out of an Indian Charlie mare never even tried the turf to further cement the all-time great/superstar status (and maybe bring a few opponents out of the stalls).
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #491
Someday Silent

Quote:
IDK if Secretariat sired any "great" horses (that's obviously a debate), but he sired a horse of the year and certainly one of the best racemares of the 1980's, Lady's Secret, and sired Risen Star, who was one hell of a 3 year old and who might have even won the TC with some better luck and a better post position in the Derby. He did sire General Assembly, who was a very nice horse, as you noted. Terlingua was another really nice one from the same era as General Assembly. And he excelled as a sire of broodmares, although the specifics of this would probably be best left to one of our breeding experts such as Spalding No!
Secretariat's stud career gets criticized because he didn't clone himself or produce 100 commercially popular sire sons. But if one takes time to look up Medaille d'Or, Tinner's Way, Kingston Rule, Fine Spirit, Dactylographer, Image of Greatness, Pancho Villa, and Super Staff... there's plenty to respect.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #492
azeri98

Quote:
Nobody doubts the economics.

But it's silly to say he would be running in 5 horse fields. We used to have this thing called handicap races....
Used to. That's the point. I never liked handicapped races. Horses should run with equal weights. That's how you determine who the best is, not by having one horse drag around an extra 10 pounds for 1 1/4. How would it be if Carl Lewis had to Carry a 5 pound sack strapped to his back during the 100 meters . Would he he win? I doubt it, or maybe make Michael Jordan only shoot with his left hand?
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #493
BarchCapper

Quote:
Used to. That's the point. I never liked handicapped races. Horses should run with equal weights. That's how you determine who the best is, not by having one horse drag around an extra 10 pounds for 1 1/4. How would it be if Carl Lewis had to Carry a 5 pound sack strapped to his back during the 100 meters . Would he he win? I doubt it, or maybe make Michael Jordan only shoot with his left hand?
Handicaps as an alternative to claiming races (as is done in much of the rest of the world) makes for very good racing and wagering.

The Carl Lewis and Michael Jordan analogies would make the now widely available wagering more interesting, for sure.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #494
classhandicapper

Handicap races are a double edged sword. I think if we sprinkled a few more on the calendar it might make for a couple of better gambling races, but the very best horses would avoid those specific races to avoid the big weight assignments. The only way you could sort of force them to run is if you made most of the big races handicaps and took away their options, but I don’t think anyone wants that either.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #495
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

But what if Flightline carried 136 anf LIG 122?
I loved handicap races. But with todays fragile pampered horses, I can see even shorter years than FL's this year.

What I really miss the Classified Alowance races. We have so few of them these days.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: