Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
Richard

Turf Inquiry

Does anyone on the board know as to whether or not Bill Quirin still publishes his Turf Sire Ststistics?If so,would you where they can be found?Any reply at all would be most appreciated.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #2
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Richard,

Last time I talked to Bill, he was completely out of racing (and very bitter about it) and was planning to publish a book on the 18 best holes of golf or some such. I don't believe he intends to do any more with racing at all.

Dick
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
JimG

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Schmidt
Richard,

Last time I talked to Bill, he was completely out of racing (and very bitter about it) and was planning to publish a book on the 18 best holes of golf or some such. I don't believe he intends to do any more with racing at all.

Dick
What was he bitter about?
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Jim,

I don't feel at liberty to discuss it.

Dick
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 12:51 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

William Quirin

Of all the works I have read, and they are way too many to count, Mr. Quirin's still have the greatest influence on my personal handicapping.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
JimL

Speed Points, Race Shapes, Quirin Pace and Speed Figures, Turf Sires per Roi, Three of the best books I have ever read and then nothing but golf! I will never understand this!
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
Richard

It's too bad Mr. Quirin does'nt have anything more to do with racing.Thank you,Dick.
Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #8
Derek2U
Veteran

Quirin

There is ONE main reason why BQ gave up on racing, aside from the fact that he is by nature DEF not a bettor-gambler. That reason is HE DID NOT obtain ANY "predictive" variables. The books are great reading, and they spawned others with that IV thingy, but NOWHERE, in any way, did he actually show any significant "formula"-approach that worked. I think he saw this and to his credit as a true math-guy said Enuff. It's the fake math types that exploit their little knowledge to everyones ruin.

Last edited by Derek2U; 01-11-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Derek2U is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Unhappy BQ

Quote:
Originally posted by JimL
Speed Points, Race Shapes, Quirin Pace and Speed Figures, Turf Sires per Roi, Three of the best books I have ever read and then nothing but golf! I will never understand this!
He came, he gave, he left, he teed off.
Maybe he figures he gave us enough already. Like he was the Beatles of racing-just couldn't sustain that level forever. Too bad. I have been using his ideas for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
hurrikane

your a trip Derek.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 06:40 PM   #11
karlskorner

Bill Quirin

If Dick Schmidt feels that he is not priviliged to answer, maybe I can.

Spent some time during the winter of 87/88 with Quirin, Quinn, Takach, Iggy from Racing Channel and others. He was driving a 3-4 old black Mercedes at the time, took us back and forth to the hotel.

Although his books are probably worthwhile reading, he was not a "winner". If you keep losing year after year, you take up golf.

As a matter of fact, neither was Quinn a winner. Takach and Iggy were true "craftsman"

Last edited by karlskorner; 01-11-2003 at 06:43 PM.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #12
kitts

I was able to hang out with Quinn a bit in the early 90s. If he bet what he said he would bet, he made money. His seminars at SA with Brohamer were superb.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 07:20 PM   #13
karlskorner

Kitts

Not to be facatious and prolong this thread, I have always been of the belief that those that "do" do and those that don't, write books and hold seminars.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Karl,

I have to ask...who did you learn from? You knock every single "name" person that comes up. You don't credit anyone on the forum here for being good handicappers. I'm not trying to start a pointless cyber fight, I'm just curious!

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2003, 12:14 AM   #15
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Derek wrote:
There is ONE main reason why BQ gave up on racing, aside from the fact that he is by nature DEF not a bettor-gambler. That reason is HE DID NOT obtain ANY "predictive" variables. The books are great reading, and they spawned others with that IV thingy, but NOWHERE, in any way, did he actually show any significant "formula"-approach that worked. I think he saw this and to his credit as a true math-guy said Enuff. It's the fake math types that exploit their little knowledge to everyones ruin.

Generally, I think that Derek is in the right arena here. I spoke with Quirin several times in the early 80's (after book #1, before book #2) and tried to engage him in some model-driven betting that I was doing then with the P6 which was in its infancy at the time. He begged off repeatedly stating that on a college prof's salary with a big house payment and a young family that he didn't have the funds to risk. He did tell me that he was working on a multiple-regression model for win betting and promised to keep me in the loop if/when it showed enough promise on paper to merit going live with it.

Never heard from him again.