Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
csperberg

What kind of computer system are you currently running?

I dont know if there ever has been a thread like this before or not if there has sorry about that.

I was just wondering what kinds of systems people are using these days.
Also what do you use your system for mainly?

Here is what I am currently using.

WinXP Pro converted to MCE

ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 Motherboard, use the onboard HD sound card and ethernet connections
Xion 600 watt SATA SLI Ready power supply
AMD 64X2 4800+ dual core cpu socket 939
Dual ATI Radeon X1800XT 512mb GDDR3 Crossfire PCI express video cards
3 HDD's 2 60 gigs and one 120 gig
DVD burner
37" LCD, manufactured by SCEPTRE ATSC and NTSC tuners and PC resolution of 1920x1080 at 60mhz
19" Dell LCD with resolution at 1280x1024
Creative 5.1 speaker system
HP all in one printer
Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo
and two logitech wireless rumble pack2 controllers.

I made my system out to be the complete all in one multimedia/work center.
I love to bust out video games and running dual video cards and with HD resolution from the 37" LCD makes gaming on the PC like no other out there.
I also have pretty vast mp3 and movie collections to enjoy through my system. As of late have been mostly getting HD movies to play through here and what a treat that is. I wont discuss how I get my media as to not want to upset anyone who thinks along a differnt line than I do.

I also use it for obiviously handicapping and all other horse relating things. If I had more than just rabbit ears running I would be using it as my Tivo as well.

I also like to explore and test out differnt software or as I like to say evaluate software for educational purposes only. Lately been getting back into relearning how to program, never retained much from what I learned at college..lol. So been working with visual studio 2005 pro alot. Have also been into learning calculus and business statistics and analysis through some videos, mp3's and ebooks. Downloaded more learing ebooks and apps than you can shake a stick at..lol. Hopefully will apply all of it down the road into some form of handicapping tool. Also set to learn up on an ebook I just picked up on developing super memory as I hope to also apply that to handicapping as well as my daily life can never have enough memory computers or the real brain.

I use my computer almost exsclusively and rarely watch TV. Now that I dont have DirecTV anymore it is very very rare I turn on the TV and when I did have DirecTV the only channels I would watch outside of TVG were always educational shows like history channel discovery types. Anything I want to really watch I can just go download so TV is almost pointless to me.

I have alot of time on my hands as I am a stay at home father, the wife makes enough dough to support the family and to support my habits..lol. So I spend a great deal of time on my PC. Went to school for computer networking boy what a waste of time and money that was, as I have no job in the field and the school never helped any of us to get jobs now 3 years removed from school and I have not retained much information hence the relearning how to program and to work with databases.

Anyway just though maybe others would like to express what type of system they use and what purpose they typically use their computers for and maybe get ideas from others as well. I just think there is a transition going on from computers sitting at a desk doing only what we most people think computers are only good for to a more all in one machine. My motto has been this way for years. I always said why have all that extra junk taking up space when you can have one box that does it all. I mean what is there that my PC cant do that some other piece of machinery can do? With dual core 64 bit cpu's and dual video cards computers can do so much multitasking its not even funny.

http://www.facebook.com/calvin.sperberg
csperberg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply