Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

SOU Speech

Didn't hear it. Didn't care to.
Most of what he said last year went unfullfiled anyway. SOSO.
Actions speak louder than words.

I bet these things happened, though:

1. Not once did he acknowledge that the middle class is the backbone of this country.
2. He did not acknowledge a serious problem with our porous borders.
3. He continued to drone on about a guest worker program.
4. He did not offer up a plan to make our ports safer.
5. He did not offer a plan to replace lost manufacturing jobs
6. He did to acknowledge th failure of NAFTA
7. He did not address the chinneses blatantly illegal trade practices.
8. He did not offer a plan to reduce the 200 billion dollar trde deficit with china.

If I missed any, it is early and I haven't had my coffee.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

One thing that did happen was the classic misdirection play about oil from the mideast. He got big headlines and big cheers when he said we need to cut our dependence on oil from that region by 75% by shifting to new types of energy. The exact quote was

Breakthroughs on this and other new technologies will help us reach another great goal: to replace more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025. (Applause.) By applying the talent and technology of America, this country can dramatically improve our environment, move beyond a petroleum-based economy, and make our dependence on Middle Eastern oil a thing of the past. (Applause.)

Okay, pop quiz. What country imported the most oil to the US in the most recently released (1/23/2006) report from the US Government's Energy Information Administration?

That would be Canada. Yeah, the place that "isn't a real country anyway" according to the song......

Well, what about #2...........Well, that would be Mexico. Ay Chihuahua!

#3......hey that's in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia. Yeah. That's really been an unstable country. We've had so much trouble doing business with them....

The only other two ME countries that show up in the top 15 (87% of all imports) are Iraq and Kuwait.

The real shocker on this list is Angola. You've heard of it. Little Communist country in Africa. Great friends with Cuba. The amount of oil imorted from there has been increasing rapidly.

I know the market for oil is international and it is not just who we import from that sets the price. However, this is a scam plain and simple. I'm all for alternate energy sources, but I guarantee that supposed reduction in imports from the ME can be replaced from elsewhere. There appears to me to be no real intention here reduce usage. Why not aim to cut all imports by 75% or better yet overall usage by 75%. We did that what oil we needed we could probably supply ourselves. Just another scam on an unknowing public IMO

Here's the link. You'll learn something. I sure did.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...nt/import.html

Last edited by OTM Al; 02-01-2006 at 09:39 AM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Did he talk about the fact that our national savings is lower than it has been since 1933 - a deperession year? That economic indicator says far than the unemployment rate, IMHYAAO.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
kenwoodallpromos

Liar!

He did address the guest worker program! He referred to ALL foreigners in the USA including illegal aliens as "immigrants"! No amnesty program (he does want to keep them illegal and suppress the wages of politicians' gardeners and domestics).
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Did he talk about the fact that our national savings is lower than it has been since 1933 - a deperession year? That economic indicator says far than the unemployment rate, IMHYAAO.
I heard about this the other day..............that is kind of scary. No Social Security, no savings, there is gonna be one hell of a crisis in about 20-25 years. People with savings are going to be very powerful if you ask me.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
There appears to me to be no real intention here reduce usage. Why not aim to cut all imports by 75% or better yet overall usage by 75%. We did that what oil we needed we could probably supply ourselves. Just another scam on an unknowing public IMO
Bingo, the way he said it sure sounds like something, but really laughable actually to set such a ridiculously low (and questionable) goal and give us 20 years to reach it. A total non-issue.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
Bingo, the way he said it sure sounds like something, but really laughable actually to set such a ridiculously low (and questionable) goal and give us 20 years to reach it. A total non-issue.
I'll state it again. The American people alone can in a short time through their creativity and conservation create a glut of oil, that would get those asses attention in Washington. I will guarantee you I'll cut my gas consumption in half this year and be none the worst off for it. Plus, my heating oil will also be drastically cut. What are you all going to do besides bitch and complain?

T.D.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindouble
What are you all going to do besides bitch and complain?
Well gee twin, I don't use a lot of gas as it is right now...nor do I use much electricity. I've got a very short commute, an economical vehicle...my house is extremly well insulated and needs very little heating in the winter and no cooling on the summer, use very efficient lighting, have an on-demand water heater....I guess I'm just gonna give myself a big pat on the back, that's whats next! This isn't exactly a NEW issue for everyone.

Actually, stage 2 is building a nuclear reactor in my back yard, really gonna spin that needle backwards, I'll own PG&E by the time I'm done.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
Well gee twin, I don't use a lot of gas as it is right now...nor do I use much electricity. I've got a very short commute, an economical vehicle...my house is extremly well insulated and needs very little heating in the winter and no cooling on the summer, use very efficient lighting, have an on-demand water heater....I guess I'm just gonna give myself a big pat on the back, that's whats next! This isn't exactly a NEW issue for everyone.

Actually, stage 2 is building a nuclear reactor in my back yard, really gonna spin that needle backwards, I'll own PG&E by the time I'm done.
Good for you chicken, you should be crowing like a rooster all over the this country.

There's many things we can do, for example. Park that dam car and walk that half or mile to work, to the store, the kids to school and so on and son. Use a freaking bike and exercise for better health. Keep the motor boat in drydock for half the season, car pools. My wife and sister in-law shop together now, one car going in the same direction, they both traded for fuel efficant cars. What the heck is the sence in buying a gas powered lawn more that you have to push anyway? Shut the air conditioning off, sweat a little, it's good for you. There many things I havent done here but I will in time, just bad habbits in most cases.

T.D.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
toetoe
Veteran

Al,

Is the song you refer to called Political Science, by Randy Newman? Hey (smilie for fist hitting head), I get it! THAT'S where Mr. Bush got his foreign policy!
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Didn't hear it. Didn't care to.
Most of what he said last year went unfullfiled anyway. SOSO.
Actions speak louder than words.

I bet these things happened, though:

1. Not once did he acknowledge that the middle class is the backbone of this country.
2. He did not acknowledge a serious problem with our porous borders.
3. He continued to drone on about a guest worker program.
4. He did not offer up a plan to make our ports safer.
5. He did not offer a plan to replace lost manufacturing jobs
6. He did to acknowledge th failure of NAFTA
7. He did not address the chinneses blatantly illegal trade practices.
8. He did not offer a plan to reduce the 200 billion dollar trde deficit with china.

If I missed any, it is early and I haven't had my coffee.
Pretty much got it. He spoke of allwoing workers in to work on guest programs, but also on securing the border. Most of it was about "Freedom's march" or some such sloganing.

He also said America is addicted to oil. Duh...How long have you been in office and just figured that out GW? Why did you let the energy companies write our energy policy, why did you reduce the miles per gallon requirements on vehicles, why did you give tax breaks to gas companies at a time they're making record profits, and why wait until you're 80 (2025) before America actually has a program fully in place to deal with alternative fuels? Some of us will be dead if we wait for GW to address it. Nothing like being proactive. We already have hybrid energy. If he wanted he coulda pulled a JFK and made getting off oil an Apollo type project. Instead, he put it on the back burner again.

THen he talked about making the tax cuts permanent, and almost in the next sentence he said we have to reduce the cost of entittlements like Soc. Security and Medicare...In other words, it's OK to give the richest a big tax break while cutting programs for the elderly and sick. Do you realize that those people who made over a million last year got a $105,000 tax break on average. A 105,000??? and he wants to give them more while trimming functional programs that help the middle class.

Then he talked about candor and honesty at a time he refuses to release pictures from his Abramoff meetings, and NEVER compromising on anything.

It was vintage GW. I admit I missed the last 10 minutes because I couldn't take it anymore, and put in an old video of Happy Days. Man Ron Howard looked young then, and still had hair.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Year 6 in office - I would have expected to hear a few more "We did's.." and few less "We need to's..."

And a "Thank you" to the Minutemen, who are doing his second ammendment job of protecting our country while he does whatever it is he does all day would have been nice.

But, today, he's on the road, galavanting all over on person issues, andall ofcongress is now heading out for the caompaign trail, and everything he talked about last night is already cold and forgotten. Just like his BS last year - the majority of which was never realized (Thank GOD!)
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
Big Bill

The following is quoted from the transcript of last night's State of the Union address:

"In a system of two parties, two chambers, and two elected branches, there will always be differences and debate. But even tough debates can be conducted in a civil tone, and our differences cannot be allowed to harden into anger. To confront the great issues before us, we must act in a spirit of goodwill and respect for one another..... ."

Did anyone besides me believe this was the President's subtle reference to Ted Kennedy's absurd antics during the Alito confirmation hearings?

Big Bill
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Actually it is the Academy Award nominated hit from South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, Blame Canada, though I would like to hear Mr. Newman's song as he usually makes me smile.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
The following is quoted from the transcript of last night's State of the Union address:

"In a system of two parties, two chambers, and two elected branches, there will always be differences and debate. But even tough debates can be conducted in a civil tone, and our differences cannot be allowed to harden into anger. To confront the great issues before us, we must act in a spirit of goodwill and respect for one another..... ."

Did anyone besides me believe this was the President's subtle reference to Ted Kennedy's absurd antics during the Alito confirmation hearings?

Big Bill
To tell you the truth, it applie to BOTH side of the aisle. The repubs have more than their share of crooks, liars, thieves, whores who sell their votes to lobbyists.
When I looked at video of the gathering - both houses, the KK Kouirt, and the executive branch, it occurred to me that I was looking at the most powerful force on earth. The Brittish empire, the Japanese, the Nazis, the communists - none of them could defeat America. But this goup, this gang of digusting, low life bastards, has broken the American spirit, destroyed our health car system, ruined our economy, just about killed off the American workers, and have opened the borders to allow the final dispersal of our culture and country.
One thing is certain - as long we allow this group of whores to govern, none of our problems will ever be solved. America will settle into a role of second calss or third class nation, with very little power, dependant on other nations for our survival. Our future is indded not good.
I am amazed that this president can be this ignorant, this confused, this much out of touch with reality and not be on a feeding tube. Clearly, the mental process in his head are not working.
This moron says our workers can compete with anyone in the world. Well, I have news for him - this is a bold faced lie. We cannot compete with $0.19 slave labor overseas, which he refuses to acknowledge or reat to.
I hav elistend to some excerps of the speech - I would suggest it could easily be used at a mental incompetancey hearing. This guy has absolutley no clue.