Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

That horse is “On his Toes”

Paddock commentators in the live media sometimes refer to a horse as being “on his toes”...this, apparently is a “good sign”
Now, obviously, a horse has NO TOES but hooves...so I’m wondering what is really going on here...does this mean the horse is not walking calmly, but somehow slightly “prancing”...or more energetic...or moving along on his “tippy-hoofs”...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Paddock commentators in the live media sometimes refer to a horse as being “on his toes”...this, apparently is a “good sign”
Now, obviously, a horse has NO TOES but hooves...so I’m wondering what is really going on here...does this mean the horse is not walking calmly, but somehow slightly “prancing”...or more energetic...or moving along on his “tippy-hoofs”...?
I wouldn't overthink the expression for some hidden negative meaning. It is
simply meant to be a positive indicator that the horse is energetic and eager to race. Something you want to hear if you're betting on the horse.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Your best bet for recognizing and understanding the particular Physicality trait of any horse is to have your own eyes on the horse when the comment is being made. Visual experience can sometimes be a good teacher especially when you have the ability to recall what you’ve seen before and what it potentially means.

You might want to do yourself a favor and sometime stay up through the early morning hours and watch a professional like Jenny provide her pre-race paddock reviews on every horse running on any given day at Hong Kong. You might learn something. I know I have, and believe it or not her comments have both saved me and made me money. You won’t find anything close to that type of commentary here in the States. They’re more interested in watching race re-runs, and perhaps even ignoring positive and negative physicality signs on horses for the race at hand. (Like a previous race is going to tell you something about how the horse feels today)
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Your best bet for recognizing and understanding the particular Physicality trait of any horse is to have your own eyes on the horse when the comment is being made. Visual experience can sometimes be a good teacher especially when you have the ability to recall what you’ve seen before and what it potentially means.

You might want to do yourself a favor and sometime stay up through the early morning hours and watch a professional like Jenny provide her pre-race paddock reviews on every horse running on any given day at Hong Kong. You might learn something. I know I have, and believe it or not her comments have both saved me and made me money. You won’t find anything close to that type of commentary here in the States. They’re more interested in watching race re-runs, and perhaps even ignoring positive and negative physicality signs on horses for the race at hand. (Like a previous race is going to tell you something about how the horse feels today)
Yes, I agree...Hong Kong paddock review is tons superior to anything in the States...you would think that tracks would do like HK does...especially at simos, the coverage is abysmal...all we usually get is one quick rear end shot of a horse moving away down the post parade

Guess they don’t want to spend money on any of that...I do watch the HK paddock commentary though, so I know what you are saying...cheers, Nitro.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
parlay

HONG KONG

I do agree that HK is excellent in its paddock coverage. Great view of each entrant walking and then entering the track. The commentary is first rate. I do not believe that Gabby? on the NYRA broadcast is any less competent, i am always anxious to hear her. I would be great if she could review each entrant ala HK
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
bello
Veteran

It is actually Maggie Wolfendale in NY and when I used to listen to her from her Colonial Downs days and also when I focus on the Spa. She is nothing short of amazing.

Unfortunately, if you watch a paddock parade from say Charlestown or Mahoning and then you tuen in to thw winter horses at Gulfstream you will be able to see the "horses on their toes". Instead of listless walking they will be prancing around the walking ring.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
parlay

MY APOLOGIIES

To Maggie, i am on vacation and my brain is working at 20% of its (un)usually low power
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
jimmyb

Gabby did a great job doing paddock views at GP. Always looked forward to them.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When a horse is on YOUR toes, then you have something to be concerned about.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
ElKabong

Claiming races... Always look for a field where one horse isn't walking short. Cheaper the race the better and they come in at good prices.

When I used to travel to the OLD Evangeline Downs (miss that place in a major way) you could get no less than one bet per card on that angle. Definitely works better live at the track but tracks that show horses being walked in the paddock and a decent parade shot as well as warmups and walk up towards the gate allow for a bet now and then (Tampa, GP, NYRA, LaDowns, GG to name a few)
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post

Does tvg still cover HK?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Does tvg still cover HK?
TVG still shows the races and accepts bets on HK racing, but rarely do they show the pre-race paddock commentary. If you’re interested in the full pre-race coverage just use the following link:
http://www.drf.com/drf/live_video/hong_kong/392221
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
ElKabong

Thank you, Nitro
Old 12-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
When a horse is on YOUR toes, then you have something to be concerned about.
I didn't have nails on my big toes for years
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: