Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Cam

Animal Kingdom versus Shackleford at Belmont

This year’s Belmont Stakes, like many before it, will not be as exciting and only because there’s no chance for a Triple Crown Winner. However, it could make for a great race between Animal Kingdom and Shackleford. Both of these horses have won a leg of the Triple Crown and both could put on a show at this year’s Belmont Stakes.

I was pulling for Mucho Macho Man, but after seeing Animal Kingdom closing at the stretch at Preakness, it’s hard not to like his chances with the added distance. If the Preakness was 1/16th of a mile longer, it would have made a huge difference and Animal Kingdom would have won. We can only wonder, but it would have made the Belmont so much more exciting.

Animal Kingdom is like a sleeper or dark horse, no one even gave this colt a chance at the Kentucky Derby, even after Uncle Mo who would have been the favorite was scratched.

The Belmont Stakes is a little less than three weeks away and no one is sure who will be entered. Shackleford trainer Dale Romans said the chances of Shackleford running in the Belmont Stakes is better than 50-50. Let’s hope that both Animal Kingdom and Shackleford are in the field.

What this race needs is a rivalry between the two winning horses. Do you remember the rivalry between Affirmed and Alydar? This could be a modern day rivalry between Animal Kingdom and Shackleford with the exception that both Affirmed and Alydar finished each leg of the Triple Crown one and two.

The only thing for us horse fans to do is wait and see who gets entered in the 136th Belmont Stakes.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

the horse is extremely professional and has a lot of stamina. The Belmont stakes is a dream race for him. Master of Hounds is also a game horse with stamina and quality. MOH may even be a worthy foe. Shackleford adds a quality rival in the mix. Whoever can run out of Nehro, Brilliant Speed, Dialed In, Astrology - the more the merrier - could make this a Grade1 Belmont Stakes.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
cj's dad

Cam

It was reported minutes after the finish that AK did not pass Shack in the gallop out. AK closed to 1/2 length 100 yards out and never got any closer.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
It was reported minutes after the finish that AK did not pass Shack in the gallop out. AK closed to 1/2 length 100 yards out and never got any closer.
Not trying to prove you wrong because I usually like your posts. Watch the slo-mo and decide for your self if he was gaining.

http://www.drf.com/events/preakness-stakes
Pell Mell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He definitely stopped gaining as they approached the wire....whether that was because JV stopped asking because he knew he couldn't catch him, or AK was tiring, I can't say....I do know they hit that far turn and AK never passed Shack....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Plain Steve

I know who I'll be rooting for, Go Shack!!
Plain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
pandy

Belmont

I'm a big Shackleford fan, that was one heck of a game effort, but the Belmont is far more suitable to Animal Kingdom and he has a perfect pedigree for a mile and a half. There's also the possibility of a Shackleford bounce, that was a grueling trip being used hard in a fast first quarter and then having to reach down for something extra to hold off Animal Kingdom. I'm surprised they're going to race him in the Belmont, I would pass and give him a rest then aim for shorter races this summer.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
He was more than a length behind 100 yards from home.

I agree that he didn't pass Shack after the wire, but it's hard to read anything into that.

I think AK will be in front of Shack in the Belmont simply because I think he is a better horse; but there will be others in that race with a chance. Master Of Hounds comes to mind.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

AK could very well beat Shackleford in the Belmont, but only because of the distance. At 10f and shorter, it would be Shackleford 8 out of 10. I'm really not sure why they are running him in the Belmont to be honest.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
classhandicapper

It will be interesting to see how both of them develop into the fall because I think both are better than most are giving them credit for now.

On another note, it was reported that Uncle Mo has gained 35 pounds even though they still haven't found the source of the problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
tubesockshakur

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
It will be interesting to see how both of them develop into the fall because I think both are better than most are giving them credit for now.

On another note, it was reported that Uncle Mo has gained 35 pounds even though they still haven't found the source of the problem.
.....i hope he comes back
tubesockshakur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
the problem is a combination of his natural flaws and the fact that he was pushed at an early age to be the fastest resulting in comformation flaws and a limited projected improvement. Repole got what he wanted = the fastest that he could buy, Pletcher did his part and Uncle Mo's speed all made the recipe for the Champion Two Year Old. He could still win a graded speed favoring stakes but 9f and/or pressure have a fair chance of foiling him. He should retire, stud value isn't going up from here.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
He was more than a length behind 100 yards from home.

I agree that he didn't pass Shack after the wire, but it's hard to read anything into that.

I think AK will be in front of Shack in the Belmont simply because I think he is a better horse; but there will be others in that race with a chance. Master Of Hounds comes to mind.
I agree, it is hard to know if the horse tired or whatever the reason was, but we will find out about his heart and will to win in less than 3 weeks.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
AK could very well beat Shackleford in the Belmont, but only because of the distance. At 10f and shorter, it would be Shackleford 8 out of 10. I'm really not sure why they are running him in the Belmont to be honest.

I was thinking this same thing. It could make for some nice odds on other horses, so I am not going to bitch
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I was thinking this same thing. It could make for some nice odds on other horses, so I am not going to bitch
What's wrong with running him in the Belmont? I think it's great that he's going to run in it. The public isn't interested in horses cherry-picking their way to a good strike rate. They want to see the big names square off in the big races, and, for once, I agree with the public.

Interestingly, by the way, his sire stamina index (8.2f) is higher than AK's (8f). The Dosage Index swings the other way.

It could be a fascinating race.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply