Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-19-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Alabama - Gr1

Excited about this year's rendition - a pretty well matched full field.

Respect Weaver and anything he sends out, but I wonder if this filly wants 10f. She did pair Beyer tops and may be set for another move forward, but has only one win lifetime and I think she gets late at this distance. Exotics only for me
Solid win candidate who should like the distance. Boss of this division during the spring prep season and has reasserted herself with a win in the Coaching Club. Must use in all slots.
Steady development, bred for this distance, been working regularly at Sar for the better part of this summer, looks like she's been pointed to this race, regal bloodlines. Big win threat
In a word...nope
Seeing some support for this filly but I'm against her. She ran an uninspired race at Del (failed to switch leads) and hasn't faced much in her career. Maiden breaker was nice last year but everyone else in the field has yet to win except for the 2nd place runner. I'll let her beat me.
The second of three Pletcher runners looks more like a sprinter/one turn type and seems out of place in this spot. Pass
Merits respect even though her last was a bit dull. Put in a big run in the Kentucky Oaks and should get a solid pace to run at, Contender but more underneath than on top imo.
Very scary if she can clear them early. Ran pretty fast in both her wins (although the Aqu race was on a very good rail day), passed the 'no lasix' test last time over this track. Win contender.
Mixed feelings about this filly, but she has run on in her last three and will likely find a spot on my ticket. Good work tab, has run well anywhere she goes.
Think she got a soft trip last time but did capitalize with a nice win. Ashland win was solid, but I question her at 10f (esp from the 10 hole today). Underneath only for me.

If the price is anywhere near the 5-1 ML I am all in on #3 Julia Shining for Pletcher/Saez. Doesn't possess a sudden turn of foot, but she should trip well and will be grinding on late at a distance she ought to love.
Ex: 3 w 1-2-7-8-9
Ex: 8-3

Who ya got?

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 08-19-2023 at 10:35 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #2
PalaceOfFortLarned

We are pretty much on the same horses.

Looking at the and feel we get a solid pace for to run at.

Like the as well, but don't see us getting 5/1. Maybe as low as 7/2 with Wet Paint at 2/1 to 5/2. As you noted, the are the wildcards for me as well. Should be an interesting tote to watch unfold
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

Will Wet Paint have too much to do late in this one?
Old 08-19-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
Sparky13

Hoping for an upset.
Sparky13 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
PalaceOfFortLarned

Bit of a puzzling dirt track right now.

Speed good? Inside good? Didn't look so early.

Obviously the quality of horses and preferred surface has to be taken into consideration.

8th may help out a bit more. While only 6 horses, it is a G3 quality field with just about every racing style.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:10 PM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I think we will get an honest pace - think Pletcher entered the #6 to keep the #8 from getting an easy clear lead & walking the dog (and to set the plate for the 3-7). Hernandez may have to hustle the #10 from the outside post also.

Just don't see them letting Rosario cruise alone up front & put em all to sleep, although it happens quite a bit in big races.

Excellent race
Old 08-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #7
dirt

Going with 8
dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #8
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I'd like to see Randy and Raffy do well. But a Wet Paint/Pletcher horse seems like the exacta.
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 05:43 PM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

taking all the "Wise Guy" $.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #10
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
taking all the "Wise Guy" $.
looked uncomfortable the whole race after a pretty bad stumble a dozen strides out of the gate.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:00 AM   #11
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt View Post
Going with 8
Well done.

They interviewed Kenny McPeek before the race about his s poor post position and the other speed in the race.

In a nutshell, he basically said it is a 10F race and it wasn't his first rodeo about dawdling route races when everybody expects a front end shootout.

I completely failed on handicapping this race looking at it being a bit of a meltdown and grinders winning the day.